Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Sideskirts - How do they attach?

Chris G

Hi all -

Both of my sideskirts have decided they'd like to detach themselves. From the looks of it, the white clips that hold things together are broken and the adhesive has detached itself from the body. My guess is the dealer lube tech wasn't careful when raising my car and caught a lift arm on the sideskirts during one of my oil changes.

Does anyone know how these sideskirts come off or how many clips there are? Wondering if it's easy to just order the clips myself and do it vs. going out of the way to have the dealer do it.

Diagrams, parts breakdowns, personal experience... anything helps. :)

Thanks!

They messed mine up on the lift when getting winter tires put on so I went over to the body department at dealer 10 min and was fixed no charge. Fix looked like double sided stick tape/foam and the white plastic clip

OP
Chris G

Chris G

Thread Starter #3
Sounds like exactly what I need. And this dealer I use doesn't have a body department so they need to outsource it. Starting to think I should find a dealer that does have a specific collision dept.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
There about 10 clips and one screw in the rear, there is also double sided tape used to install the OEM parts.
The clips are NOT available from Ford as separate parts as they only come with a replacement skirt at about $400.00.
I have had both sides come off on my car.
I have found a GM part that works just fine.
I posted the part number on this site some time ago but I will have to search for it.
I am leaving for work now however, I will re-post the part number later today.

Dave

Same problem with one of mine. Put some double sided tape in there and that held it on for a while, but it's popping off again.

Yea mine is peeling also and [MENTION=859]Chris[/MENTION]g you should go to a dealer that has a body shop

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
It is funny that you cannot buy the clips from Ford.
They want you to buy the complete molding.

I found a clip that is listed for a GM car that works perfectly.
It is a Dorman part, available at most auto parts stores (or online).
#963-203 or 457901BP
These are the same part, why the two numbers I do not know.

Dave

Magnets - How do they work?

But seriously, magnets would be awesome as a way to attach pieces such as sideskirts, splitters, diffusers, undertray aero components for a day at the track which could then quickly be removed when on the daily commute. Maybe by the use of a electromagnet with a switch on the dash. A system separate from the car, probably. Call it a Aero-Mag Body Kit, or Magdynamic, Aeronegtic, or Quick Aero. So Sharks what do you say?

OP
Chris G

Chris G

Thread Starter #9
It is funny that you cannot buy the clips from Ford.
They want you to buy the complete molding.

I found a clip that is listed for a GM car that works perfectly.
It is a Dorman part, available at most auto parts stores (or online).
#963-203 or 457901BP
These are the same part, why the two numbers I do not know.

Dave
Dave - thank you for this.

I stopped by the dealer and he thinks he shows the clips separately so I ordered a handful (they were cheap). If these don't work or are not the right ones, I'll order up some of the # you provided.

twolf

Exactly like Dave said, you can't buy the clips without the sideskirts. The body shop that fixed my car removed mine for some reason, then had to get a $1,000 supplement from the insurance company for paint/parts haha.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thanks, need to order clips and have some great 3M tape on hand, I think mine on the driver side was nearly taken off when I hit something but no marks anywhere.....

OP
Chris G

Chris G

Thread Starter #13
Amazing how easily these things can fall off or apart. Mine have been re-attached for a week and so far so good.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I just found myself with this same problem.
Because of paint work the right rocker molding on my car needed to be removed.
There was no damage to the molding itself however, the clips were broken when it was removed.
As we know the clips are sold separately so the insurance co. paid for a new molding and paint.

Dave

OP
Chris G

Chris G

Thread Starter #15
I love how they replaced your entire rocker panel all because of 2-3 $2.00 clips. [histerical]

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Bumping this because Dave’s solution worked for me as well. I replaced four of the nine clips with the GM version and used 3M tape to secure the ends like they were from the factory. It was actually quite easy to do. Cleaning took the longest. The car looks so much better!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Bumping this because Dave’s solution worked for me as well. I replaced four of the nine clips with the GM version and used 3M tape to secure the ends like they were from the factory. It was actually quite easy to do. Cleaning took the longest. The car looks so much better!
Thanks for this review! [thumb]

Which 3M tape did you use, the thicker mil foam type (which is usually wider in width, like an inch and a half), or the thinner mil, harder to use because is super sticky, and it tends to 'catch' on itself (which is usually narrower in width, like 5/8")?