Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Slave cylinder leaking

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
After getting it back from the LSD install I noticed less boost. After 5 days I finally heard a loud hiss when floored. I pull over to look and the hose going into the throttle body was loose and slipped down 1/2" or so.

I decided to take pics and tighten it myself, but the evap hose was slightly in the way. I disconnected it and took my pics. I realized I needed a socket to reach the small space and nut on the clamp. I decided to drive home the 1.5 miles. Yes....yes, I forgot to connect the evap line back up.

I started the car and immediately it went to redline. So fast. I hit the stop button while the clutch was still engaged and in neutral.

I reconnected the hose and the clutch was barely resistant and groaning when coming back up only part way. I was able to put it into gear. I should have driven home, but again, stoopid decision to wait and see if it just needed more vaccum or....? I stopped the car and started it back up. Mistake.

NOW it goes in as if it were being sucked down and doesn't return unless I pull it up. I pumped it by hand and I have fluid on the ground.

EDIT: no effort to push down or pull up. I didn't know pedal has a cammed action to it. It will not sit anywhere except fully up or down.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Check with a flashlight to see where the fluid is coming from. The system can also leak from the lines coming out of the master. ( you can see it just under the fill spot right next to the strut tower.) You may have killed the slave cylinder if you have brake fluid coming from the bellhousing.

ronmcdon

wonder if it's a throw out bearing failure. something similar happened to me only I replaced both the lsd and the clutch with a stage 1 xclutch. worked ok at first but after some time lost the clutch entirely. Could yank it back up, but then when I pushed it down would stay down and couldn't start up the car at all.

Later found out it was a throw out bearing failure and that being the source of the brake fluid leak. Throw out bearing may have been aftermarket and came with the clutch. Got the throw out bearing replaced with oem unit and no issue so far. this is even after half a day track event and maybe 500 miles give or take mostly freeway driving.

OP
flbchbm

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
Check with a flashlight to see where the fluid is coming from. The system can also leak from the lines coming out of the master. ( you can see it just under the fill spot right next to the strut tower.) You may have killed the slave cylinder if you have brake fluid coming from the bellhousing.
I did after posting. Nothing from the top. It's all clean. Cant see from above w/o mirror tool. Car is too low to look under, but it's coming from the back side of the tranny. It is almost centerline. Dripping from tranny-engine joint. Car was level left to right on ~4% decline. Car was towed back to PTUNING Monday.
Edit: (Performance shop, not dealer)

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
flbchbm

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
It took two full days for them to put it on a lift for a 5-minute inspection. I can no longer recommend them at all.

Here is the email I got today. Thanks Captain obvious.........

Good afternoon,

in regard to your fiesta. when inspected the vehicle from underneath we did find a fluid drip from right where the transmission bellhousing meets the engine. which leads up to believe that it is in fact the slave cylinder that is leaking. Unfortunately, the slave cylinder is located inside the bellhousing of that transmission which would require us to remove the transmission to determine what is the cause or the issue. I have rearranged the schedule and to get your vehicle in tomorrow morning for the transmission removal.

Please let me know right away if you have any additional questions

OP
flbchbm

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
Sounds like normal dealer operations.
That is Ptuning, the performance shop that did the LSD installation...

I already knew it was leaking from the slave cylinder. I didn't know it was inside, but it took them TWO days to push it in a bay, raise it, look for 2 minutes max, lower it, push back out and email me...? It should have been pushed in the next day for that 15 min total, evolution.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Sorry man good work is hard to find.

I know you're older and you're busy with work and stuff, but this is the reason why I hate to have anyone do anything for me. It is just so hard to find someone who has integrity. One of the biggest reasons why I left the automotive field I just couldn't stand being around it.

I recently had my downstairs HVAC system looked at they wanted $1,000 to replace easy parts. It cost me $115 in parts and took me an hour to install screw them I did it myself.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

PunkST

2000 Post Club
That is Ptuning, the performance shop that did the LSD installation...

I already knew it was leaking from the slave cylinder. I didn't know it was inside, but it took them TWO days to push it in a bay, raise it, look for 2 minutes max, lower it, push back out and email me...? It should have been pushed in the next day for that 15 min total, evolution.

Yup. Hence why i also dont trust shops or dealerships anymore.

OP
flbchbm

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
Sorry man good work is hard to find.

I know you're older and you're busy with work and stuff, but this is the reason why I hate to have anyone do anything for me. It is just so hard to find someone who has integrity. One of the biggest reasons why I left the automotive field I just couldn't stand being around it.

I recently had my downstairs HVAC system looked at they wanted $1,000 to replace easy parts. It cost me $115 in parts and took me an hour to install screw them I did it myself.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
Agreed. Good work where they care is so hard to find.

I do way more for my customers than all of my coworkers. It's that way wherever I've worked.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

OP
flbchbm

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11
Using Ford Roadside to tow it from Ptuning to my nearest dealer. I can walk to pick it up.

I'll probably have to argue how an LSD install has no cause on the slave cylinder. The only relationship is disconnecting the line, reconnecting and bleeding. The clutch was normal for the 5 days too.

I discovered long ago, Ford and others pay less than market rates for warranty work. That gives them motivation to deny warranty work. Anybody have updated info on that process? Just curious.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'll probably have to argue how an LSD install has no cause on the slave cylinder. The only relationship is disconnecting the line, reconnecting and bleeding. The clutch was normal for the 5 days too.
Just don't tell them about it? Unless you already did, they'd likely not be able to tell / or would care.

Also why didn't Ptuning replace the slave when the transmission was down for the LSD install? Its a $35 part that is well worth its cost to replace any time the transmission is out of the car.

OP
flbchbm

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #13
They called and asked "do you have factory clutch?". I said, "yes, factory clutch". He said, "okay, that's all I need". I volunteered nothing else. That was a Thursday and they didn't give me an update on Friday even though I knew it would be there over the weekend.

OP
flbchbm

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #14
Tech was putting it back together and said the O-ring for the fluid line looked deteriorated....yeah, 2019 w/10k miles. They are replacing the whole line, but they have to get one from a distributor. Than means tomorrow or Wednesday...ugh...they have had it since Thursday @ 13:00. Any other 2019 owners, beware. YMMV

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
said the O-ring for the fluid line looked deteriorated....yeah, 2019 w/10k miles.
Thats a bunch of baloney. They don't even have "o rings" they have a thick rubber seal that goes between the solid line and the slave. But I highly doubt that little seal is sold separately from the line.

OP
flbchbm

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #17
Thats a bunch of baloney. They don't even have "o rings" they have a thick rubber seal that goes between the solid line and the slave. But I highly doubt that little seal is sold separately from the line.
I said o ring since I forgot what the advisor said.

Just had a leaky master replaced by the dealer and the completely left the end seal off. It was leaking bad from the firewall where the lines connect to it.
I'm having the exact same issue after replacing the master cylinder myself and the tip of the line looks the same. How did you fix this? Did you have to get a whole new line, or just replace that tip?

EDIT: For anyone reading this later, looks like the part needed is 7A512B: See on Ford.com

Last edited:
OP
flbchbm

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #20
Well I was speaking as in: those things don't go bad / dry out randomly.
Especially in <3 years since mfgr date.

I'm having the exact same issue after replacing the master cylinder myself and the tip of the line looks the same. How did you fix this? Did you have to get a whole new line, or just replace that tip?

EDIT: For anyone reading this later, looks like the part needed is 7A512B: See on Ford.com
Warranty. Advisor said they were replacing the whole line rather than the seals. I get the car back today, FINALLY. If the tech had inspected it when he disconnected it, they could have ordered the line and had it all done and ready Monday, maybe Tuesday.

Last edited: