Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

SoCalGarageWorks Forged Carbon LED steering wheel installation Southern California

Hey everyone, so I ordered an LED steering wheel from this place called So Cal Garage Works and I'm looking to source out any installation information as I "youtubed" it but there's no content showing this specific brand's installation guide. I really appreciate any feedback. i don't have a photo of mine as it's being made but it has LEDs similar to Ferrari steering wheels to guide you with shifting plus there's a small information window on the 12 o'clock portion. I don't care if you think this is tacky or it's not of your liking, no, I'm posting this to get help or information with the installation, that's it. Again, I DO NOT HAVE A PICTURE OF IT so please don't ask. All I've been informed is that "you have might have to get power from the back of the clock spring like the mustang guys do" So that's about it. Thank you in advance for your help if any.
PS: I'm in Southern California, Pomona to be specific, and if you can do the install or help me out with information, send me a private message and we can talk cost or whatever you like, thank you.

Last edited:
Have you reached out to them for install help? They may not have a write up but they could possibly offer up tips for your install. Also, I'm not sure how confident you are with doing the install, but if you don't have any experience with something like this I'd recommend having a shop do it as to not accidentally set off the air bag.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
SofaKingCool
Thread Starter #3
yes, the company's owner told me they send me installer suggestions but only once I get the wheel and yes that's why I'm reaching out on this forum seeing as I don't think I'm the only person in this United States who's done it, though by the looks of it, I think I'm alone as these pieces are very expensive.

https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/socal-garageworks-carbon-fiber-steering-wheel.24555/
Try reaching out to Djkid1456 to see if he has any tips, hints, or suggestions.
The install of a standard oem+ steering wheel is pretty straight forward. I disconnected the battery and let it sit for a bit. Then there's 3 little pin holes on the back trim of the wheel that release the clips that hold the airbag in place. Unplug the battery, break loose the (24mm?) nut that hold the wheel, making sure to note the orientation. You will have to transfer the button trim wiring from your stock wheel which is mounted with these hydrid zip tie clip things and one Phillips head screw. I just cut the clips with dikes. Mount the wire to the new wheel and reinstall in reverse.

Auto repair guys did a great video explaining here:
View: https://youtu.be/j8MuPb8kmzU

As far as the LED arrays, I'm actually completely clueless. Logistically I don't even know where the array pulls data from. Maybe you have to tap into the speedo wire or something? I supposed well just have to see when it arrives. Take lots of pictures and I'll look into it to see what I can find.

Sent from my SM-F700U1 using Tapatalk

Never mind I thibk I've found a code that will be helpful.

Different car but same deal. Looks like the led array comes with a control box that you need to mount somewhere and it connects to the obd2 port for data. The control box connects wirelessly to array. You will most likely need to take into the clock spring for power for the led.

View: https://youtu.be/uoq2aa8MgSA

Please, when connecting the power do NOT do it the way shown in the video, instead SOLDER THE JOINT! that crappy splice shown will start arcing within a week and in a few months you'll have to go back into the steering wheel and do it all over again. BTW, learned how to make wiring systems secure on a Boat and there are only two SECURE methods to join two or more wires. One is to solder the joint and then dip it in line whipping compound and the other is to wire everything thru a terminal block. Any other method of joining two wires is temporary.

OP
SofaKingCool
Thread Starter #9
thank you for the advice. I'm photographing it and showing it to whomever ends up doing the installation for me, much appreciated.
Please, when connecting the power do NOT do it the way shown in the video, instead SOLDER THE JOINT! that crappy splice shown will start arcing within a week and in a few months you'll have to go back into the steering wheel and do it all over again. BTW, learned how to make wiring systems secure on a Boat and there are only two SECURE methods to join two or more wires. One is to solder the joint and then dip it in line whipping compound and the other is to wire everything thru a terminal block. Any other method of joining two wires is temporary.

TemecFist

Never mind I thibk I've found a code that will be helpful.

Different car but same deal. Looks like the led array comes with a control box that you need to mount somewhere and it connects to the obd2 port for data. The control box connects wirelessly to array. You will most likely need to take into the clock spring for power for the led.

View: https://youtu.be/uoq2aa8MgSA

So if it connects to the OBD2 port, then you wouldn't be able to use an AP would you? Even with a splitter, the OBD2 will only support 1 device.

So if it connects to the OBD2 port, then you wouldn't be able to use an AP would you? Even with a splitter, the OBD2 will only support 1 device.
Doesn't seem like a splitter would be of much use if you could only use one device at a time. That might just be something that OP will need to test and let us know on, since as far as I can tell, no one else has the LED array steering wheel.

TemecFist

Doesn't seem like a splitter would be of much use if you could only use one device at a time. That might just be something that OP will need to test and let us know on, since as far as I can tell, no one else has the LED array steering wheel.
I saw a couple of YT videos where people have this LED steerring wheel, but I never saw how they hooked it up. It's a really nice wheel, just too expensive for my taste.

That's the problem I'm facing. Had it installed by this do do bird in Norwalk California and now I'm left with no lightsšŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
RPM lights embedded in the steering wheel and also the information window positioned at 12 o'clock in the steering wheel
It will have to utilize the power and ground from the Clockspring wiring in order to function. Not too hard to wire up but will take some know how. Do you know anyone that is competent enough to handle it?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Someone already wired it, thing is every time I connect something to the obd the lights go off
Is it setting codes? Is there any way you can contact them to find out how they wired it up? It may need to be changed.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Someone already wired it, thing is every time I connect something to the obd the lights go off
Are you removing the wireless module that connects to the odb2 when you do that? Because if so, I'm pretty sure the display won't work because it needs the data from odb2 to function. I think we've theory crafted about an odb2 splitter

(like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071HP9JF...abc_VF8VH2G19BPVE0WPGFFC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1)

but never got around to testing anything.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk