Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

spark plug issues

Serious noob question but what socket to use to remove spark plugs? I got a deep 16mm socket but doesn't seem to work? I've turned and turned and plug hasn't turned at all so I'm assuming socket is wrong and not gripping on plug.
Also when I took off coil packs there is oil around plug (pic attached) , what would cause this? Thanks

Attachments

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Spark plug socket. It will have the swivel like LionsTooth's picture, and a magnetic interior to hold the plug after you unscrew it.

Oil can be from leaking valve cover gasket, or leaking spark plug seals.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Oil around plug is a weeping valve cover gasket usually, and yes, youll need a thin walled spark plug socket. I also suggest getting a pair of anglers pliers ( usually used for pulling hooks out of fish). The long, thin, curved ones work great at grabbing loose plugs from down in their bores.

I used a swivel socket one, and crossthreaded one of my plugs. So now I'm dealing with that blow out for the last 6 months. So i'd be careful and get a good quality one that doesn't swivel so easily.

OP
sebbi7
Thread Starter #10
Yeah sorry i'm in SA so we work in Km's lol , so 62500miles , about 1000km ago did a complete sub assembly as had a blown head gasket from overheating. And then car stood for a full year due to lockdown , so wanting to do a oil filter,oil and spark plug change. Did the oil filter and oil and also cleaned the maf sensor but now i cant get the spark plugs out, our local car part shop gave me a deep 16mm socket but doesnt work. So gonna go exchange it today.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
The spark Plug torque spec is 12 Ft.lbs or 16 Nm for metric side of the world. Like others have said a thin wall Socket works best if you can find one, NO ANTI-SEIZE is needed also on spark plugs. Spin them in by hand NOT WITH A RATCHET. Then Toque them down to spec after you cant turn them by hand with the socket and Extension anymore. What spark plug gap are you using also? are you modded or stock still?

OP
sebbi7
Thread Starter #12
Cool thank you for the help, well from my research recommended gap was 0.26 to 0.28 so gonna go with that.
Still stock at the moment , head gasket blew 3 weeks after i got it and then after repairing lockdown hit so havent had a chance to do anything yet.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Keep us up to date with your progress mate! That's A NICE truck in your profile pic! You have good taste in vehicles!

OP
sebbi7
Thread Starter #17
Are you burning oil? Or got blue smoke coming out the tailpipe upon startup?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
No smoke what so ever. After doing oil service and changing spark plugs she is running nicely , and got chick to drive it so I could look and she punted it first second and third and no smoke from exhaust. Took dipstick out and oil looks perfect. Gonna get guy to check on gasket as that is a little past my expertise.

Fiestig

I would check valve cover gasket for the oil. Same thing is extremely common on the duratec 2.0. Oil would pool around the plug and then would wet the threads at removal. Plug tip actually looks to be burning clean/unfouled so it seems you are just building extra carbon. What fuel choices/grades do you have there?