Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Speedometer, tachometre and fuel gauge quit working...ideas?

Just as I said. The needles of those three items on the dash are fixed to the bottom. It just happened out of the blue. I started the engine after getting gas and they didn't move. I drove two hours and turned the car off for six hours, thinking they might "wake up" or reset somehow, but nothing. I stopped at a dealership on the way home and one of the sales guys fiddled around, checking if a fuse had blown, but not a fuse.

Any ideas?

Bill Schmid

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
How is the current health of the battery and its age?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

OP
B
Thread Starter #4
You could try a instrument panel test.

Hold the trip button down, start the vehicle. Keep holding and it will enter a test mode. Should do a gauge sweep on one of its tests. Will also do a digital readout out of rpm, fuel level and mph.
Yes it enters test mode. Didn't know about that. Needles did not move...no gauge sweep ever. I advanced through the entire list of items and a sweep never occurred. There were a ton of codes shown, etc. Are any of them important?

The dealer guy last night thought it was a computer thing, not the main computer, that runs those needles. Yes?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
The battery is 2-1/5 years old and seems to be in perfect shape. The car is a 2019.
Keyword here is "seems" it should be tested as a battery on the fritz can cause electrical issues as these cars are CanBus systems* I'd check its state of charge and maybe even charge it just to eliminate that from the picture.

Last edited:
OP
B
Thread Starter #7
Keyword here is "seems" it should be tested as a battery on the fritz can cause electrical issues as these cars are CanBus systems* I'd check its state of charge and maybe even charge it just to eliminate that from the picture.

Could I battery do everything perfectly and still be "on the fritz"as you said? I have an oil change coming shortly and I'll have it checked.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Could I battery do everything perfectly and still be "on the fritz"as you said? I have an oil change coming shortly and I'll have it checked.
Make sure it's load tested* and filled with electrolyte.

Last edited:
OP
B
Thread Starter #10
Just as I said. The needles of those three items on the dash are fixed to the bottom. It just happened out of the blue. I started the engine after getting gas and they didn't move. I drove two hours and turned the car off for six hours, thinking they might "wake up" or reset somehow, but nothing. I stopped at a dealership on the way home and one of the sales guys fiddled around, checking if a fuse had blown, but not a fuse.

Any ideas?

Bill Schmid
Here's a weird update. The needles are now working again.

When the dealer guy checked for a fuse problem, he only checked in the fuse box under the hood. Yesterday I learned there is also a fuse box behind the glove box, and that the fuse in F3 controls the dashboard.

So I removed it to check if it was burned out. It was not.

I also started the car and checked to see what all was dead when that fuse was removed. Interestingly, it was everyting on the dash, lights on knobs, etc. So I put it back in and started the car again to make sure lights, etc. came back on. They did, AND THE NEEDLES MOVED AS WELL.

It's fixed? I guess. I'm driving the car in an hour and hope they still work.

Very strange.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Here's a weird update. The needles are now working again.

When the dealer guy checked for a fuse problem, he only checked in the fuse box under the hood. Yesterday I learned there is also a fuse box behind the glove box, and that the fuse in F3 controls the dashboard.

So I removed it to check if it was burned out. It was not.

I also started the car and checked to see what all was dead when that fuse was removed. Interestingly, it was everyting on the dash, lights on knobs, etc. So I put it back in and started the car again to make sure lights, etc. came back on. They did, AND THE NEEDLES MOVED AS WELL.

It's fixed? I guess. I'm driving the car in an hour and hope they still work.

Very strange.
Electrical Gremlins!

haste

1000 Post Club
I've had ECUs go on the fritz and removing all power from them, essentially "resetting" them, has fixed the issue. Hopefully it is not a recurring problem for you.