Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

SRI vs CAI

jcaw

Both intake systems have their pros and cons, with that being said being in Fl it's only cold maybe 2 months out of the year and even then it only gets to the 50s. Which intake system should I run?

Chuckable

As long as you get a quality CAI that doesn't risk hydrolocking, CAI is the way to go. Cobb and Mountune have CAIs that are worth a look. But for sure the SRI is going to sound better, as it's going to give you more induction/turbo noise.
The experienced on this forum can give you all the geeky details, but no matter if it's a forced induction engine or not, in general the cooler the air is going into the engine the more power it can make. SRIs are often called warm air intakes because they tend to pull in warmer air as compared to CAIs. The difference may be negligible, but every bit of power helps.

rooSTer

1000 Post Club
Cobb is probably the closest you'll get to a CAI..all the other ones don't have sufficient heat shielding. Mountune is over price for what you get.

Chuckable

Here's a link to an explanatory video comparing CAI and SRI: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytmKry_ciOA
Engineering Explained is a pretty cool series, with lots of basic explanations.

As to Cobb's intake, I believe it reuses the factor airbox, but with a new top and filter. So, the factory fresh air duct is used. Mountune adds a secondary fresh air intake duct, however.

OP
J

jcaw

Thread Starter #5
I'm more than likely going to explore a DIY airbox, voiding the warranty is not an issue to me. Being in Fl there's not much cold air to had and it rains everyday in the summer months so hydrolocking is kind of a big concern.

FocusMike

I'm more than likely going to explore a DIY airbox, voiding the warranty is not an issue to me. Being in Fl there's not much cold air to had and it rains everyday in the summer months so hydrolocking is kind of a big concern.
You don't have to worry about hydrolocking as none of the FiST's aftermarket intakes except Mountune's secondary hose extends pass where the stock intake box sits. Even Mountune's secondary hose is made from a mesh material so that it doesn't channel water upwards. But feel free to do the DIY box mod first.