Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

ST Octane Academy 2020

Impressions after almost a week to think on it.

They use both Focuses and Fiestas. The Focus does have more readily available torque but is a larger car. The Fiesta seemed to be better on this track. From what I've seen of the Utah track, they have a larger track so the Focus may have been better there.

You get sent out on the infield track in groups that follow the instructors who are using a GT350. They split the groups up in Focuses and Fiestas. After a few laps, you get sent out with an instructor in your car. Then sent out to go on your own. I had some trouble getting through a mental block to drive faster and have fun.

The instructors then take you out in a Fiesta and you find out how to really drive the car. Pick your safe word first. :)

After lunch, you head over to Z-Max dragway and then get split into three groups to practice the figure eight, 90 degree stop and the 180 turn. When everyone has been rotated around, you then get to practice with the instructor on the Urban-X course (autocross). A few more laps by yourself then you get timed for competition.

A few suggestions I thought of afterward.
1. Mark your helmet somehow because it is easy to get them mixed up. You can use your own helmet if you have the HANS attachments on it.
2. Listen to the instructors. They have a lot of experience between them.
3. Use the bathroom when you can. It sucks to need to go when you are on the track.
4. Don't be afraid to go fast. Unless you really screw up, you can't break the cars.
5. and lastly, HAVE FUN!!!

Map of track - infield : https://www.fordperformanceracingschool.com/the-racetrack/

Last edited:
OP
1eecom
Thread Starter #43
Just finished the Academy this Monday. I’m sure I met or saw forum members, just didn’t get that specific of discussions. I was there with my son as my guest, I really had a blast. Description above from Ghotiman is pretty good.
if you bring a guest they can’t ride with you in the track portion. They will get a hot lap with the pro. In the Urban-X your guest can ride with you when no instructor is with you. I’ll blame my 2nd place finish to the extra weight of my son, but it was cause I pushed too hard around the barrels and plowed the front end out and lost a lot of time. I left wanting to go find a track and some auto cross events.
Overall the 18 drivers had a broad spectrum of skill. The instructors are encouraging and you will get a few tips but don’t expect enough time compared to a driving school. I was just getting in a grove when our track times would end. I was also unable to get a full hot lap due to running up on slower traffic. I was able to slow down for half a lap and let them get ahead but it ended on that lap. Again, longing for more!
Everyone was great to talk with. The reception dinner was pretty good. hot meals. The lunch was sandwiches and chips and salad. They provide plenty of water and sodas, you’ll just have to time your bathroom breaks. Weather could make for a long day but I would say we got lucky.
EE5AB2CA-CEB1-485F-827F-A20FA43A1E65.jpeg

I’m heading to OA in the morning! I’ll keep ya’ll posted. Shake n’ bake!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Just came from the welcome dinner and reception. Dinner was nice, we kept our social distances, and got the introduction. Met StigST and had a chat and also saw a black FiestaST with the license plate MTNGOT or something like that driving off afterwards. Forum member I think?
Here are a couple of pictures
IMG_20200316_170333.jpg IMG_20200316_173134.jpg IMG_20200316_173356.jpg IMG_20200316_173834.jpg IMG_20200316_173941.jpg

Just came from the welcome dinner and reception. Dinner was nice, we kept our social distances, and got the introduction. Met StigST and had a chat and also saw a black FiestaST with the license plate MTNGOT or something like that driving off afterwards. Forum member I think?
Yep, thats me (MTNGOAT). In town for STOA as well.

IMG_4581.jpg

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I was clearly keeping health and safety in mind, we have to keep Minnesota strain of the Beer Virus out of the Carolinas.
I'm immortal.... the quickening will come for your soul!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Time to put together a story of how the day of instruction and track time went. The morning starts with issuance of driving suits and helmets, then a time of chalk talk about driving lines, braking points, turn-in and apex points, braking, acceleration, and traction.
IMG_20200317_070011.jpg

Then it's over to the track where they take you on a van ride to show you the track and the braking points, turn-in points and apexes.
DSC_0004.JPG

After they show you how to put on the Hans device and helmet and four point harness, you divide up to get in the cars. Since it was raining we didn't get the time in the car with an instructor or lapping by ourselves. Instead it was four long sessions of lead-follow, two in the Fiestas and then two in the Focuses.

DSC_0005.JPG
DSC_0007.JPG
DSC_0073.JPG

The drivers are all of varying speeds, and our group of three quickly caught up to the other group of four while I was right behind the Mustang.
DSC_0079.JPG

When you're not driving you are taken trackside to watch the others.

DSC_0086.JPG
Not sure why my wife took only blurry pictures of me....

DSC_0101.JPG
By the third track session we were getting into Focus

DSC_0123.JPG

DSC_0125.JPG

DSC_0142.JPG

The banking is always looming over you. It's really high.

DSC_0152.JPG
Following right in the instructor's tracks and staying close is important during lead-follow.
DSC_0162.JPG

I got the camera from my wife here and got some shots of the students. Feel free to download pictures of yourself if you see it here. I probably have more if you can help me identify yourself.

DSC_0163.JPG
DSC_0164.JPG DSC_0165.JPG DSC_0166.JPG DSC_0167.JPG DSC_0168.JPG DSC_0171.JPG DSC_0172.JPG DSC_0173.JPG DSC_0187.JPG DSC_0188.JPG DSC_0190.JPG DSC_0287.JPG
Guests enjoying their instructor drives.
DSC_0053 (1).JPG
Garage full of fun. Other than rollcages, handbrakes, four point harnesses, and on the Focuses a Ford Performance exhaust, the cars are stock, running on Michelin Pilot Sports.

DSC_0040 (1).JPG

I'll put up another boatload of pictures in another post for the Urban-X.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
They told us during the van drive to enter 6 middle of the track, and that's the line they led us with the Mustangs. But when I went on the instructor ride, he double apexed 6-7 (in NASCAR they sometimes call that "diamonding" the turn) with the second apex very late on 7. I pointed that out and he said, "Yeah, that's kind of how I do it". It was what I wanted to do all along. Then you pick up more speed and trail brake into 8, which helps you tuck in to get a straighter exit from 8.

View attachment 28797
Garage full of fun. Other than rollcages, handbrakes, four point harnesses, and on the Focuses a Ford Performance exhaust, the cars are stock, running on Michelin Pilot Sports.
Looked like a great time. The HANS wasn't used for STOA when I went to Miller a couple years back. Must be new or a requirement from CMS. Did you happen to see what size Pilot Sports were being used? I didn't think they were made in the stock size.

DEss

SteveS

1000 Post Club
I didn't look at the tire size, but they look stock size. They were the all season tire. Pilot Sport A/S 3+. Given the rain, maybe the all season was a good thing. They gripped very well.

The Hans may be a CMS rule because when we did the Urban-X it was at Z-Max Dragway's parking lot/paddock and we didn't have to have them there.

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
Looked like a great time. The HANS wasn't used for STOA when I went to Miller a couple years back. Must be new or a requirement from CMS. Did you happen to see what size Pilot Sports were being used? I didn't think they were made in the stock size.
DEss
For reference, my 2019 came w/Pilot Sport A/S 3's in 205/40-17

Applied my Octane Academy ST badges today. They look sweet... Now I’m official

It was great meeting all my follow ST Owners. I wish we could do it all over again...

BTW. I practiced a few Ebrake slides yesterday. I’m glad to have that trick ready to drop for the local boys. Watch THIS...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For reference, my 2019 came w/Pilot Sport A/S 3's in 205/40-17
I am amazed how well the Fiestas can go on the track as stock. When you ride with the instructor around the track, you really see what it can do. A lot of people on this forum update their Fiesta for track.

I am reminded of the scene in "The Blues Brothers" where they go to the music store and they complain about the instruments. Ray Charles then shows them that there is nothing wrong with them.

View: https://youtu.be/qdbrIrFxas0

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
I am amazed how well the Fiestas can go on the track as stock. When you ride with the instructor around the track, you really see what it can do. A lot of people on this forum update their Fiesta for track.
I am reminded of the scene in "The Blues Brothers" where they go to the music store and they complain about the instruments. Ray Charles then shows them that there is nothing wrong with them.
Most of the time, regardless of device, it is the USER, not the device..... racket, fishing rod, bat, car, gun, camera, guitar, drums, microphone, computer/cell/tablet, etc.