Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

ST200 airbox vs stock box

What kind of HP gain will I get with the ST200 box? I'm just curios and how about the sound? I'd like to hear the turbo spooling up, I mean who doesn't!!! Thanks for the replies. COOP

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
What kind of HP gain will I get with the ST200 box? I'm just curios and how about the sound? I'd like to hear the turbo spooling up, I mean who doesn't!!! Thanks for the replies. COOP
There's no real answer to that. Theoretically, colder air will be denser and give you more power than hot air, but that would be hard to measure on a dyno. You'll get more intake sound and hear the turbo a little more with the window down, but the stock engine breathes pretty well as it is. That little turbo can only push so much air.

If you get a tune/turbo mod/etc., the better flow would be a bigger help. It all kinda works together.

Here's what mountune says about their intake: "The mountune Fiesta ST Induction Upgrade includes a uniquely constructed aluminum air box with a secondary cold air feed point. Additionally, the air box has been engineered with features that reduce the delta pressure drop by 2kPa that when coupled with the included mountune high flow air filter, provide a 21% increase in airflow. The mountune Fiesta ST Induction Upgrade provides the foundation for further performance upgrades with an engineered approach that retains the OE appearance and reliability while providing a rich, deep induction note that reflects performance."

They promise that it flows more air, but they won't make any power claims.

Last edited:

jeff

2000 Post Club
Hey good people.....pardon my ignorance but a question for all....

Context: I'm in the process of replacing my CP-E with a new intake consisting of various parts. CP-E is too loud for me, gotta go.

So I have all the upper piping and I'm considering this ST200 airbox. Looking at the pictures it is seeming to me that this is basically a stock airbox but instead of the long deep stretch tunnel shape at the bottom, it is more a square with a hosepipe that sucks in more cold air. From the pictures, the inside of the box doesn't look much different, if anything it's smaller than the stock airbox. From above, it appears to look just like the stock airbox, and in terms of materials, it seems that both are made of the same plastic.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Assuming that is all correct, how is this ST200 airbox any different from a stock airbox that's been cut and had a pipe attached at the bottom to suck in colder air from down low?

Seems too simple but as I consider buying this product I'm not seeing the need if I can cut a hole in the bottom of my stocker, attach a hose, and get the same results. I'm a DIYer and have fabricated some pretty decent intakes in my last few cars....considering the same here if what I'm thinking is accurate.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Bluedrank

Hey good people.....pardon my ignorance but a question for all....

Context: I'm in the process of replacing my CP-E with a new intake consisting of various parts. CP-E is too loud for me, gotta go.

So I have all the upper piping and I'm considering this ST200 airbox. Looking at the pictures it is seeming to me that this is basically a stock airbox but instead of the long deep stretch tunnel shape at the bottom, it is more a square with a hosepipe that sucks in more cold air. From the pictures, the inside of the box doesn't look much different, if anything it's smaller than the stock airbox. From above, it appears to look just like the stock airbox, and in terms of materials, it seems that both are made of the same plastic.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Assuming that is all correct, how is this ST200 airbox any different from a stock airbox that's been cut and had a pipe attached at the bottom to suck in colder air from down low?

Seems too simple but as I consider buying this product I'm not seeing the need if I can cut a hole in the bottom of my stocker, attach a hose, and get the same results. I'm a DIYer and have fabricated some pretty decent intakes in my last few cars....considering the same here if what I'm thinking is accurate.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Yes, the ST200 airbox is the same design as the stock airbox, just with that longer part on the bottom removed and replaced with a hole for another tube. The st200 airbox is just a plastic mold of the mountune airbox (metal). They are all basically the same upper dimensions as the OEM airbox, so they all retain compatibility with the stock air filter.

You absolutely can do this yourself if you want to chop apart your stock airbox or just drill a hole at the bottom. People have done so in the past with various degrees of complexity. Sekred made a cool one that routed to a hole he drilled in the fog light housing.

With a BigMouth intake providing positive pressure to the box at speed, doesn't having a hole in the bottom of it negate that advantage? Your pressure goes right out the hole.
I want cold air, so I think the stock box with a BigMouth is the way to go. UNLESS it can be proven that some brand of round filter flows better, it still has to go through the induction hose, so it may not matter.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
With a BigMouth intake providing positive pressure to the box at speed, doesn't having a hole in the bottom of it negate that advantage? Your pressure goes right out the hole.
I want cold air, so I think the stock box with a BigMouth is the way to go. UNLESS it can be proven that some brand of round filter flows better, it still has to go through the induction hose, so it may not matter.
According to Velossatech it's fine.

Welp, im a noob..

How do you know the difference between an ST180 amd an ST200?

What years coincide with being either?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Isn't an engine like a giant Vacuum? So either way it still pulls in air...just from Two points instead of one.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Welp, im a noob..

How do you know the difference between an ST180 amd an ST200?

What years coincide with being either?
Nope it looks like different power levels between 180 and 200 but not as powerful as our standard St here stateside...

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

jeff

2000 Post Club
I always wondered the same thing when I had the CPE intake and Iā€™m wondering the same thing now as I contemplate building my own. I wish I thought to measure airflow mass before and after but I did not. If someone else has that data it would be wonderful to see.

i... dont know if i should be turned on or ask if you need a tissue for that uncontrollable blinking? lol.

ok. so what box is the ST200? the big one or the little one?

what box we have stateside?

Under the front end I would think would be like an aircraft wing turned upside down. The air has farther to go around and under it, so it's going to create negative pressure sucking air from just behind the fog light area. Pressurized cold air coming in the front cant be beat. Again, you are limited by the induction and crossover tube size. They are the same size as the exit of the box.

jeff

2000 Post Club
Under the front end I would think would be like an aircraft wing turned upside down. The air has farther to go around and under it, so it's going to create negative pressure sucking air from just behind the fog light area. Pressurized cold air coming in the front cant be beat. Again, you are limited by the induction and crossover tube size. They are the same size as the exit of the box.
Thank you for this.

The sad thing is, with all the larger crossover pipes and induction pipes and amazing hi-flow filters, the air from the front still has to scrunch through that tiny bend from the front grill area. Because of that sometimes I wonder how much more air it's really getting even with upgraded pipes. Maybe the only thing that really makes a difference, unless you go with an extreme intake that bypasses the front grill induction, is the actual flow through the panel filter.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
All that being said, everything (air) goes through the turbo inlet pipe.
This is the plastic tube at the end of the crossover pipe into the turbo.
So unless you have changed this to something better, you still have a restriction.

Dave

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^Correct, but we still have the restriction of the factory snail's inlet as well.

Everyone speaks (correctly) of how a big aftermarket down pipe into a 3" aftermarket exhaust system does NOTHING AT ALL for power with the factory turbo still in place, but cannot the same be said for the factory turbo INLET as well??
(Unless one could get some CRAZY amount of pressurized cold air to it?) [dunno]

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
My 3" exhaust works very well, thank you.
Remember a boosted engine does not require backpressure to help scavenge the exhaust like a NA engine does.
But yes the turbo inlet pipe is a problem.
That is why I upgraded mine a long time ago.
The only restriction I have is the turbo itself but that I don't wish to change at this time.

Dave