Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stock brake pads vs others

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
I autocross, not track so my opinion may change if I did go out to a track. As it is, I swapped to bigger rotors the same time I tried the HPS 5.0's and my car stopped worse than before with both stock. Felt like I had to keep pressing harder and harder in order to get it to stop. Put a new set of stock pads on with the big rotors and now it grabs early and grabs hard.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I autocross, not track so my opinion may change if I did go out to a track. As it is, I swapped to bigger rotors the same time I tried the HPS 5.0's and my car stopped worse than before with both stock. Felt like I had to keep pressing harder and harder in order to get it to stop. Put a new set of stock pads on with the big rotors and now it grabs early and grabs hard.
I was going to do that with the stock pads but stuck with the 5.0 and larger rotor. So i can’t comment on what they feel like otherwise. EBC yellows are fantastic, but dust to hell and back and don’t last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Yeah I'm almost 30k into the Brake job and am still digging them! what kind of rotors did you get? I was most happy with similar braking as stockers with less dust and not as Grabby....but they still bite when you get on them.
I installed the slotted StopTech rotors at the same time (in front); I'm still running the stock setup in the rear.

I recently installed Carbotech 1521s and like them a lot. The dust levels are day and night. They don't grab as much as the stockers but I consider that a good thing. Two track sessions thus far and hey
Do you know the part# on those by the way? I must be looking in the wrong place not seeing a Ford fit?

Hi.
I'm a big fan of OEM brake pads. I like the pedal feel and bite they offer.
What I hate is the amount of dust they produce. So I'm looking for brake pads that are similar/better in terms of performance and produce way less brake dust.

Any options?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
I started using EBC "Red Stuff" a few weeks back for the same reason. Absolutely fantastic. There is still some dust but minimal with a slight increase in brake bite feeling.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I have always used the stock Ford OEM pads.
Unfortunately, to maintain a performance pad with less dust usually means they eat up the rotors faster.
Others may chime in and say that I am wrong but this has always been my experience.
I prefer to use the OE pads as I find them to work very well.
The dust is just part of the deal.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I have always used the stock Ford OEM pads.
Unfortunately, to maintain a performance pad with less dust usually means they eat up the rotors faster.
Others may chime in and say that I am wrong but this has always been my experience.
I prefer to use the OE pads as I find them to work very well.
The dust is just part of the deal.
I'm with you all day.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Stock rotors, Mountune street pads, Mountune SS brake lines and uprated street brake fluid. Short money for short stops with little dust.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
So new Power Stop Z26 pads and rotor kits out now, front pads are $60 shipped on Rock Auto... Jegs has the complete kits with red calipers and rotors for $320, but obviously slotted/cross-drilled rotor mostly just reduce surface area and the cooling it provides is not a factor unless racing... Doesn't look like there are Z26 for the rear, I wonder if it's worth seeing if for $60 I get better stopping power than my OEM ceramics with these Carbon fiber ceramic pads...

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I'm just not a fan of power stop anymore. I have installed many brake kits from them. I don't like the way it makes the brake pedal feel it's to soft. I let my Brother borrow my Ford Focus for a week while he was in town, and he also noticed this he said the stock pads felt much better. The Fiesta will get the OEM dusty performance pads.I find that the dust they produce comes off extremely easy during washing, I don't know what people are complaining about .

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I'm just not a fan of power stop anymore. I have installed many brake kits from them. I don't like the way it makes the brake pedal feel it's to soft. I let my Brother borrow my Ford Focus for a week while he was in town, and he also noticed this he said the stock pads felt much better. The Fiesta will get the OEM dusty performance pads.I find that the dust they produce comes off extremely easy during washing, I don't know what people are complaining about .
And for those who insist on OEM, there are OEM ceramics available too... but these Z26 Power Stops are new from what I can tell for the Fiesta, anything previous/lower models aren't this new carbon fiber and ceramic material and rotors are cheap anyway, I was just curious... But I can see why people want something with less dust and ceramic pads last FAR longer as well ... I took my car in for it's 20k "service" which was them just doing the checkup thing for $10 and all my pads are still at like 75% anyway, so ceramic does last a LOT longer too... Now I don't track it at all but do drive back roads pretty aggressively, FWIW.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
In my opinion powerstop is an excellent marketing company. Here's something I found from a hellcat forum. The Z23 pad was also advertise as a ceramic carbon fiber.

"I'm just sharing some information I got from emailing Powerstop. I haven't used these pads yet. I'm running stock pads and I have no intention of swapping them out until the stock pads are worn out.

I emailed Powerstop asking what the difference was between the Z23 and Z26 series pads for the Hellcat.

Here is a quick summary of what they said in return.

* Z23 and Z26 use the same friction material in the pad itself
* They are both low dusting and will dust the same amount as they are the same friction material
* Backing plate shim on Z23 is rubberized and backing plate shim on Z26 is stainless steel
* The Z26 pad will tolerate higher heat due to the SS backing plate
* Both pads are low noise but I would suspect that the Z23 may be even better in the noise department due to the rubberized shim (just a guess here)

Both good choices for the Hellcat but the Z26 seems more appropriate to me and probably what I'll order if I try these over OE at my first pad replacement."

danbfree

3000 Post Club
In my opinion powerstop is an excellent marketing company. Here's something I found from a hellcat forum. The Z23 pad was also advertise as a ceramic carbon fiber.

"I'm just sharing some information I got from emailing Powerstop. I haven't used these pads yet. I'm running stock pads and I have no intention of swapping them out until the stock pads are worn out.

I emailed Powerstop asking what the difference was between the Z23 and Z26 series pads for the Hellcat.

Here is a quick summary of what they said in return.

* Z23 and Z26 use the same friction material in the pad itself
* They are both low dusting and will dust the same amount as they are the same friction material
* Backing plate shim on Z23 is rubberized and backing plate shim on Z26 is stainless steel
* The Z26 pad will tolerate higher heat due to the SS backing plate
* Both pads are low noise but I would suspect that the Z23 may be even better in the noise department due to the rubberized shim (just a guess here)

Both good choices for the Hellcat but the Z26 seems more appropriate to me and probably what I'll order if I try these over OE at my first pad replacement."
VERY interesting! Thanks for the info man, I appreciate it!

See, I was going off this chart, I'm sure they can choose to simply not mention the Z23 has carbon fiber too, they do sound like a marketing racket, LOL.
Edit: The actual description also mentions Carbon fiber with Z26 but not with Z23, so there's a chance for the Fiesta there's more than just the metal shims, but who knows... I might try them out.
Edit 2: LOL, yep the Z23 mentions carbon fiber as well, sigh.. what a mess, think I'll stick to my original plan of EBC RedStuff...

1557268813338.png

Last edited:
Stock rotors, Mountune street pads, Mountune SS brake lines and uprated street brake fluid. Short money for short stops with little dust.
On my second set of Mountune street pads. OEM pads/rotors went to 53500 miles. Mountune pads/Ford rotors lasted until 176,000 miles. 6000 on Mountune set 2 with Ford rotors.

On my second set of Mountune street pads. OEM pads/rotors went to 53500 miles. Mountune pads/Ford rotors lasted until 176,000 miles. 6000 on Mountune set 2 with Ford rotors.
I like these pads. Stock great bite, ungodly dust. Ceramics suck big ones. Now with better fluid and ss lines they should be excellent

I was going to do that with the stock pads but stuck with the 5.0 and larger rotor. So i can’t comment on what they feel like otherwise. EBC yellows are fantastic, but dust to hell and back and don’t last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What do you guys mean by a larger rotor? You can swap in a larger rotor without moving the caliper with some kind of bracket? I know about the gold coast kit but I thought this thread was about OEM and OEM replacement parts.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
What do you guys mean by a larger rotor? You can swap in a larger rotor without moving the caliper with some kind of bracket? I know about the gold coast kit but I thought this thread was about OEM and OEM replacement parts.
Yes, Whoosh is coming out with a kit that you use the stock size pads with a bigger rotor, with the higher surface area you get better braking performance apparently, not sure if it's contained to track work where the extra surface area keeps the brakes cooler or if it helps in general daily conditions too.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I like these pads. Stock great bite, ungodly dust. Ceramics suck big ones. Now with better fluid and ss lines they should be excellent
Ceramics only have slightly less bite (7/10 vs. 8/10 according to EBC) and last more than twice as long all without the dust. Sure, you don't get it's best performance trying to brake from 70-0 while ice cold, but they only take a few regular stops to warm up and from there have more fade resistance too... But if all you are about is bite and cold performance then, yeah, stick with semi-metallics, it's nice to have choices!

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Yes, Whoosh is coming out with a kit that you use the stock size pads with a bigger rotor, with the higher surface area you get better braking performance apparently, not sure if it's contained to track work where the extra surface area keeps the brakes cooler or if it helps in general daily conditions too.
I can feel it out on the street as well, but it can take some heat to make it bite nicely (like on the track). However the pedal is linear and brake application comes on very well.