Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stock radiator is just awful.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I remember that post but we debunked it.
Unfortunately they did not upgrade it.

I have ordered many OEM parts from Ford and they definitely do change their part numbers.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
You're right, I remember that now. Thanks for clarifying that and how the part number works.
That's what I thought because I remember when they changed and upgraded the design of the head to deal with the overheating issue they definitely changed that part number.
Obviously if Ford had upgraded the radiator it would have been an acknowledgement that they saw a problem.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I mean, I wouldn't mind daily driving an Evora S. Though it would probably be in a tight race with my ND for which is the least practical.
They are boatloads of fun, I am positive of that, but not so sure I'd want to drive any of the even closed roof, enclosed fender Loti across the country (although I guess that is up to each individual's discomfort/pain tolerance levels [dunno]).

But yeah, they are heading in the 'practical' direction at least a thousand times more than the open wheel/open cockpit variants.

After a few weeks of having my Mountune rad I’ll never look back these AZ summers are brutal for the coolant temps and it has lowered them by a good 20 degrees. I don’t beat on the car when it’s this hot so I’m not sure if they would stay cool after loads of spirited driving but it helps with daily driver peace of mind.

You're right, I remember that now. Thanks for clarifying that and how the part number works.
That's what I thought because I remember when they changed and upgraded the design of the head to deal with the overheating issue they definitely changed that part number.
Obviously if Ford had upgraded the radiator it would have been an acknowledgement that they saw a problem.
Didn’t they revise what temp the tstat opens? Or is that still up for debate I never found out if they changed the thermostats in later models like my ‘18

IMG_20200718_122731.jpg

Ambient at about 90 F, seeing 95 F ambient on the dash. All stock other than the Cobb OTS stage 1 tune. Did a short stint on the highway at ~70 mph (mostly as a drone test for the Thermal R&D CBE), and then some stop and go in suburban 45 mph limit roads.

I was not beating on it, and I would definitely be asking for trouble if I was. The little bit of negative correction I'm chalking up to it just being really bloody hot in NoVA today. This is the hottest day so far this Summer, and I really need to get that intercooler replaced.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
View attachment 32817

Ambient at about 90 F, seeing 95 F ambient on the dash. All stock other than the Cobb OTS stage 1 tune. Did a short stint on the highway at ~70 mph (mostly as a drone test for the Thermal R&D CBE), and then some stop and go in suburban 45 mph limit roads.

I was not beating on it, and I would definitely be asking for trouble if I was. The little bit of negative correction I'm chalking up to it just being really bloody hot in NoVA today. This is the hottest day so far this Summer, and I really need to get that intercooler replaced.
I thought it was a fair critique that my first picture was while I was driving. Here's one after idling for 10 minutes in my driveway after a 40 minute drive in above 100* full sun weather.

I revved the car a few times and got it to creep towards 200*, but got bored and went inside.

I've seen it hit above 200* but it doesn't take much to bring it back down.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I thought it was a fair critique that my first picture was while I was driving. Here's one after idling for 10 minutes in my driveway after a 40 minute drive in above 100* full sun weather.

I revved the car a few times and got it to creep towards 200*, but got bored and went inside.

I've seen it hit above 200* but it doesn't take much to bring it back down.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
I'm honestly impressed that it's holding that steady with charge air temps in the 130's. The peak of 212 on the coolant I got came after a longer uphill start. Going uphill in boost was how I nearly overheated my '15, so none of this is all that surprising to me. So far no genuine issues with the '16, but I'm definitely taking it easy until it starts cooling off again.

OP
DAW

DAW

Thread Starter #88
It’s been 110 here almost everyday in west side of Phoenix AZ with 3-6pm being the hot time of day(it’s brutal!).I sat at a stand still for about an hour at the in and out drive through, max temps I saw was 201 with this mountune. Once I started driving home it quickly went to 186 around town, love this thing! I don’t have to worry about being on the side of the road or IF my car will make it getting a freaken cheeseburger, that’s worth the $500 to me.

I'll probably install mine this week (finally got access to a two-post lift). Anyone use silicone hoses getting a coolant smell? Still contemplating if I want to install these or put the stock rubber ones back on (only have 4k miles).

Any last words of advice? Any coolant preferences?

OP
DAW

DAW

Thread Starter #90
I'll probably install mine this week (finally got access to a two-post lift). Anyone use silicone hoses getting a coolant smell? Still contemplating if I want to install these or put the stock rubber ones back on (only have 4k miles).

Any last words of advice? Any coolant preferences?
Yea, I actually ordered silicone hoses myself, but after reading about how they may sweat, and smell i just unclamped the factory ones from the one radiator and shoved them aside then reinstalled them. The factory clamps for the lines don’t fit over the Mountune, so get yourself some worm gears. Also I HIGHLY suggest getting another oem “bleed tube” as it’s plastic and it will probably break when you take it off the factory radiator to install it on the mountune. I tried to be gentle and broke mine, it may take a few days to get(plan ahead) but personally I’d say it’s a MUST have spare item as that one part alone can make the car inop until it’s replaced. Do you research for the rem/install, there are a few good ones on YouTube, and a few bad. Mountune does include directions that are pretty good I’d say for the most part. If you have any problems or questions feel free to shoot me a pm man. I did this alone in my garage, about 3 hrs start to finish. Take your time and be patient.

I HIGHLY suggest getting another oem “bleed tube” as it’s plastic and it will probably break when you take it off the factory radiator to install it on the mountune. I tried to be gentle and broke mine, it may take a few days to get(plan ahead) but personally I’d say it’s a MUST have spare item as that one part alone can make the car inop until it’s replaced.
Does anyone happen to have the Ford part # for this? Just got my Mountune and want my ducks in a row before I crawl under for the install.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
It’s been 110 here almost everyday in west side of Phoenix AZ with 3-6pm being the hot time of day(it’s brutal!).I sat at a stand still for about an hour at the in and out drive through, max temps I saw was 201 with this mountune. Once I started driving home it quickly went to 186 around town, love this thing! I don’t have to worry about being on the side of the road or IF my car will make it getting a freaken cheeseburger, that’s worth the $500 to me.
HOUR long lines at the burger joints there?!? YIKES!!
(I know In And Out is really highly rated/popular, but DAYUM!)

OP
DAW

DAW

Thread Starter #94
HOUR long lines at the burger joints there?!? YIKES!!
(I know In And Out is really highly rated/popular, but DAYUM!)
I actually don’t really like the joint but my daughter wanted to go. I’m originally from the **edit** east coast, still don’t get the appeal or price of their food. Personally I’d go eat at a fudruckers for a decent burger with some of that jalapeño cheese, yummy 🤤

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I actually don’t really like the joint but my daughter wanted to go. I’m originally from the **edit** east coast, still don’t get the appeal or price of their food. Personally I’d go eat at a fudruckers for a decent burger with some of that jalapeño cheese, yummy 🤤
HA! And many here (or at least when I lived in Joyzee and there was one in Parsippany) seem to HATE Fudruckers ("too greasy"/etc.).

I liked them, just always got a plain cheddar burger and piled on the jalapeno 'wagon wheels'. [wink] [thumb]

When I use to have my prelude i had some mishimoto silicone hoses and I would always smell coolant and had to check it every so often. I put the mountune hoses when I did my radiator and I haven’t noticed any coolant smell yet, also I got the hose clamps from mountune as well and one of them didn’t fit on the upper hose where it meets to the engine, so I had to use one I had lying around.

View attachment 32817

Keep in mind that the cooling system is self pressurizing and as pressure increases, so too does the boiling point of water. Considering what temps your cylinders hit, seeing coolant temps above the boiling point of water at STP isn’t really unusual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I drove like a madman in vegas at 110deg-115deg in 2018 and stuck on the 15 for a while at 112 at idle for at least an hour or so. Never got close to overheating with stock rad. Weird...? The only thing I do at coolant change is add 6oz if Royal Purple Ice.

Now... Let me clear something up.... The stock radiator is still junk in comparison to a mountune, or in general for that matter...lol
Man we must be lucky cause I'm FBO and live in AZ and never have heat issues even with stock radiator. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

A few words, First 10k to make the car reliable? You need to put down the crack pipe.

lol jokes aside man seriously a $500 radiator upgrade makes the car more reliable. not $10k and oh make it faster and I mean a lot faster costs around $2k with tune with a turbo upgrade.
That will make the car more than slightly quicker it will change it by several seconds. You cannot get around the math 300whp in a 2750lb car gives you sportbike acceleration and speeds. First hand experience with this as well.

In fact you can set the whole car up to perform insanely for around 5-6k max . Obviously since you have not done you really do not know as you yourself bailed and went a different direction out of fear.

Thats fine the car stock is freakin blast for $500 for a radiator and $300 -400 for a bigger intercooler and around $500 for an AP and a tune. Its a total blast.
You do not need to go farther unles you just wish too. Yet it will not take 10k

P.S. I am glad you are happy with your Super 7 Interesting but if I was gonna go down the open cockpit road I would get an Ariel Atom over a Super 7 every day of the week.

Oh and most of us bought FiST’s to pull double duty not be a impractical one off.
I mentioned that price because that was the budget. I didn't intend for people to think that
A few words, First 10k to make the car reliable? You need to put down the crack pipe.

lol jokes aside man seriously a $500 radiator upgrade makes the car more reliable. not $10k and oh make it faster and I mean a lot faster costs around $2k with tune with a turbo upgrade.
That will make the car more than slightly quicker it will change it by several seconds. You cannot get around the math 300whp in a 2750lb car gives you sportbike acceleration and speeds. First hand experience with this as well.

In fact you can set the whole car up to perform insanely for around 5-6k max . Obviously since you have not done you really do not know as you yourself bailed and went a different direction out of fear.

Thats fine the car stock is freakin blast for $500 for a radiator and $300 -400 for a bigger intercooler and around $500 for an AP and a tune. Its a total blast.
You do not need to go farther unles you just wish too. Yet it will not take 10k

P.S. I am glad you are happy with your Super 7 Interesting but if I was gonna go down the open cockpit road I would get an Ariel Atom over a Super 7 every day of the week.

Oh and most of us bought FiST’s to pull double duty not be a impractical one off.
I'm sorry. The cost I quoted was "all in" for what I planned to do. I didn't preface it well.
I went back and dug into the numbers. I actually write stuff down.
Some prices have come down since 2016. But my statement is based on the numbers and what I have learned from six prior car preparations. Three of them full caged, non street driven.
I kept the streetable intentions front and center when I planned my FiST.
I kept things very conservative. Stock turbo and exhaust system. I actually have a lot of the parts. I upgraded the radiator after I installed the hood vents on a service replacement hood panel. My plan covered eight specific areas. Noticably absent from the list is any splitter or undertray. No chassis braces because 15 inch wheels and a Pierce 6point brace is very unfriendly on the street. No harness bar or cage. No coil overs or double adjustable dampers. No aftermarket anti-sway bar. I did remove the rear seat and belts.
Some rebates were applied to the costs.
Power upgrades- $ 2,260 sbtl
Cobb stage 2 $ 1,800
Catted downpipe $ 500
Cooling upgrades- $ 1,170 sbtl
Radiator $ 500
Oil cooler kit $245
Hood vents $ 275
Silicone hose kit $ 160
Transaxle upgrades- $ 2,475 sbtl
Quaife differential $1500
Misc diff' install bits $210
Short throw shifter $225
Spec, stage 3 clutch kit $ 540
Issue mitigation-$ 265 sbtl
Oil catch can $200
Spare cooling fan relay $20
2, fire extinguishers $45
Electrical-$230 sbtl
Water temp and oil pressure gauges $60
Battery relocation kit $110
Shut off switch $ 60
Suspension upgrades- $1,143
Koni Sport damper and spring kit $950
Powergrid adjustable end links $165
Energy Suspension poly ASB frame bushings $28
Brake upgrades- $ 703 sbtl
Performance pads and rotors (STD size) $ 335
Stainless steel brake hose kit $ 118
Front brake cooling duct kit $250
Wheels and tires- $2,900 sbtl
8, 200 treadwear rated tires one set shaved. $ 1,100
8, lightweight wheels 15/16 inch diameters $ 1,800

Component cost $ 11,127
Labor $ slave

Last edited:

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
HA! And many here (or at least when I lived in Joyzee and there was one in Parsippany) seem to HATE Fudruckers ("too greasy"/etc.).

I liked them, just always got a plain cheddar burger and piled on the jalapeno 'wagon wheels'. [wink] [thumb]
Five Guys burgers.....to both of ya. One of the Best hands down Fast food [emoji488] EVER!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk