Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stock Turbo just shipped off to get some serious mods done to it:)

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #21
Way to much money when there will be an EFR solution in the $2k price range eventually(with your other supporting mods that is, probably a bit more than $2k but I did find a great deal on the turbos to help them out:)

There will probably a market for stock turbos for those wanting to have one modified so money back for those not concerned with keeping stock parts, once there is a supply of cores it would be a decent way to go for many owners.

I pretty much give up on having a warranty as soon as I touch a car, at least on the drive train so selling stock parts never bothered me.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Another good point about the stock upgraded turbo. Unless you tell the dealer its been modified, there is no way they would ever notice it and deny warranty.

razorlab

1000 Post Club
I just looked at pumaspeeds dyno and its 41whp at 7,000rpms and it looks like they spun it to 7500rpm without the hp falling off...

@6800rpms its making 40ft. Lbs of torque more as well.
That is a comp AND turbine upgrade. Just FYI. I still say 15whp with just a comp upgrade at full song.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #25
I am basically just paying for parts, CNC wheel, bearings, turbine will be clipped, some porting, etc.....I think the price will be around $750 for this when others send theirs in for this work.

To do the turbine upgrade adds a huge amount to the cost and might not be offered as it may be to much for most budgets.

Who knows, maybe it will have to be done to make really good power and worth it for those still wanting to keep the stock look and it would be less than an EFR upgrade, etc....

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Who in there right mind would spend $2,000.00 on pumaspeed's setup when ATP sells its turbo kit for the same price and has way more power.

Upgrading the stock turbo is awesome and all, but it has limits. I mean $800 is 55% less money than a big turbo upgrade. You go pumping too much time/money into a limited turbo and you end up where pumaspeed is.

razorlab

1000 Post Club
The $800 deal you found didn't clip the turbine ?
Clipped OEM turbine, yes. Upgraded larger aftermarket turbine, no.

The Pumaspeed turbo consists of a larger compressor AND turbine wheel.

The quote I had from a local turbo place was inline with what the Pumaspeed upgrade costs. At that point, I would be looking at a whole turbo upgrade like what ATP offers.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #28
If looked at this way it might make sense for some.

Already own a tuner, DP, exhaust, intake, etc.....port the stock manifold, mod the turbo, only part to change is the intake at the inlet to the turbo.

If you upgrade the whole turbo then need a manifold, DP, heat shield, and some turbos have no torque down low which sucks for most of the real world driving most do.

If the turbo was modded like Pumaspeeds but a deal could be made to do it for $1200 it is still much less than a full turbo swap and makes great power, stock look again plays into this, a fairly easy install.

I think this is a viable option if it can be done for that price, not everyone wants a really big increase in power, the car would be very very fun with the Pumaspeed powerband for many people more than enough.

-------------

I am still most likely to end up with an EFR but it is fun being a part of the stock upgrade path, so far that is:)

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
The turbo on this car is amazingly easy to pull/install after you get used to it,
Luckly. Since we are talking about turbo swaps, got me thinking about the labor to do it,
Lol

TheStig

ill be curious to see what this ends up as, id just like a little more power runout up top. The little lung runs out of breath in the higher rev's.

EFR would sure be nice, that is one tasty tasty snail.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
ill be curious to see what this ends up as, id just like a little more power runout up top. The little lung runs out of breath in the higher rev's.

EFR would sure be nice, that is one tasty tasty snail.
Agreed after 4500 it just sorta hits a wall, Still pulls but not with the urgency it has to scrabble the tires at 3000 rpm. Still not bad for street and hiway driving ;)

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #33
My turbo is at the shop coming apart right now.

First phase is inspecting, measuring, bigger compressor wheel and clip the turbine then back to me to install and tune and see what we get.

Most likely a second phase, larger shaft most likely and bigger turbine, retune, see what we get.

If I can get what PumaSpeed did or a bit more I might just run with it depending on how well balanced the whole car is, I want all the power I can get in respect to maximizing the performance on track, street, etc but as complete package, big power never meant much to me so if I got something like this on the stock turbo I would be happy most likely.

But, once the EFR becomes easier to install, i.e., the cast SS manifold I have been waiting on, I can build the rest of the parts myself, I still will end up down that road I am pretty sure.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
250-270whp in this car will he crazy. My last "quick car" made 354whp and 407tq but weighed 2980lbs. This car being 200lbs lighter, it will be just right, as the other car was batshit crazy (fwd)

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #35
I had the first turbo 1ZZ Matrix ever, 250WHP and ft lbs, Phantom Grip, 235 V700 tires(V710 came out later and far stickier), Tien SA coilovers were made for me, more front brake bias to help rotate the car, my own engine and trans mounts, aluminun flywheel, clutch, Recaro SRD seats, bigger rear bar, stock front, camber plates, etc...and that is about it. It was the second fastest Street Mod solo car in SoCal which means it was Fast, quite so and it weighed more than the ST. The only times I felt it could use more power was when on open road in a straight line, the rest of the time it had more than enough. I did not take it to road courses as there were none to go to I had the time to go that far to get to them.

The ST is a far better platform and I am modding it much more and will run 225 DOT race tires on road courses, they are as wide as the V700 and have more grip. I wanted around 275 WHP and close to that in torque since I started this build but having 300WHP was and is tempting and probably a bit more than needed.

That is why I am checking out the stock turbo mods, if I get the power or maybe a bit more than the Puma setup I might stop there and go have fun:)

If I end up wanting more it will cost more in effort than funds so it is certainly still on the burner, waiting for parts...etc.....

And, somebody would love to buy my stock barely used modified turbo, parts to use it and a tune for a decent price, just need a fine tune and go!

Rick

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #36
Turbo is done and on the way to me:):)

I forgot to write down the compressor wheel size but it is a bit larger in diameter than the Pumaspeed one.

I was going to have the inlet bored out and a 3" billet one installed(tapers down to match the compressor wheel) but they did not have any that fit this little turbo so that will be done later one.

I am working on a tuning solution, remotely done, using the AP I have on hand.

me32

1000 Post Club
Turbo is done and on the way to me:):)

I forgot to write down the compressor wheel size but it is a bit larger in diameter than the Pumaspeed one.

I was going to have the inlet bored out and a 3" billet one installed(tapers down to match the compressor wheel) but they did not have any that fit this little turbo so that will be done later one.

I am working on a tuning solution, remotely done, using the AP I have on hand.
This will be very interesting to see what your car puts out and the new power band.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I think everyone is going to be impressed with the change in the horsepower past 5,000rpms and how much better it keeps the torque in the higher rpms.