Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stuck Oil Filter

SrsBsns

Posted on Reddit and got some laughs so figured I'd share. I've done the oil/maintenance on the FiST since picking it up 5ish years ago. Never had an issue with an oil change, until now.

Took me nearly 40 min to get the filter off. Tried with my hand and couldn't spin it. Grabbed my filter wrench but it crushed the filter and wouldn't grip it properly once it was crushed.

To answer your questions, yes, I lubed up the o ring last time before installing. Yes, I hand tightened the filter last time without going crazy. Yes, the engine was warm when the filter was installed and removed.

Sometimes it just be like that.

I wound up getting some shop towels and wrapping them around the end of the filter and then got the wrench over that. Was finally able to get it to turn 1mm by 1mm until it was loose enough to spin off. I really didn't want to go with the screwdriver through the filter plan-b.

What a pain. Anyone else have this happen?

Fiesta ST Filter 2.jpg

If the filter doesn't come off with 3-5 solid hand held attempts, I pull out the good old screwdriver and mallet to bash the screwdriver in and twist it that way. I spend more time going to grab the screwdriver and mallet than it does to get it off. (This method can be a little messy while unscrewing and turning but it works every time for me lol)

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Yup I did this once, decided I should change my oil before a track day. Easy job. Except took over an hour to get the filter off. Don't know how I got into that mess but I'm much more careful now.

IMG_20230208_132108.jpg

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Happens to me EVERY SINGLE TIME, and YES, I also oil the filter's seal AND the oil cooler's filter mounting surface with CLEAN oil, after fully cleaning it.

I never once used the mess and a half screwdriver 'method', but since I use one of THE longest filters (Fram ULTRA 3600) which will thread onto our car's filter nipple, I have NO room whatsoever to get my hands between the end of the filter and the fan shroud, since there is none.

I use one of those Craftsman rubber strap filter wrenches, but probably need a new one soon since this one is losing it's grip on the can, even with that rough textured gripper paint which Fram puts on these filters.

Normally, I spend between a half hour (if I am lucky) to a full hour (if not) with maximal muscle effort on that wrench, trying to move it yes, like a millimeter at a time to loosen it up.

Not the worst thing, since I usually like to let the oil drain out of the engine uppers/sump much, much longer than most (on here or elsewhere) have the patience for.

At least I did when I could still do this maintenance myself, in a driveway, with slightly less 'looking over my shoulder' for the HOA Gestapo agents frothing at their mouths zealous to fine me (for even having the hood open, let alone using a jack/jack stands, and a drain pan), than I would have to contend with in my locale now.