Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Suspension upgrade for non-ST (sedan)

Just put my springs on and the car is way more planted and the car settles much more quickly over bumps and dips. My girlfriend was in the car with me for around 3 hours doing highway and street driving and she said that the car was much more comfortable to ride in and tossed her around way less too. I think even without taking my car to the canyons and track I would do these springs for both the cosmetic advantage and the overall more comfortable driving.
1693931053818.png

OP
D

Dave88LX

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #22
Great feedback, and I'm glad that it was a positive improvement for you guys!

I'm driving daily but man it's blah. I need to find the time to do this. Thanks for posting!

Great feedback, and I'm glad that it was a positive improvement for you guys!

I'm driving daily but man it's blah. I need to find the time to do this. Thanks for posting!
The rears are like a 10 minute job, its just 2 bolts and a jack. The fronts may vary depending on your skill set. Took me about an hour for both sides up front. I would strongly recommend a ratcheting wrench for the top hats, that way you don't need to take off all the windshield wiper stuff to access the top bolts up front.

OP
D

Dave88LX

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #24
My skill set should be OK to get the front of the Fiesta done...if my truck is any indication haha.

Thanks for the heads-up on the ratcheting wrench.

1694025135308.png

Hey Dave88LX!

Thanks for blazing the trail for me, I'm doing a similar project here, non-ST 5 speed but sedan here. I'd like to find good dust boots/bump stops for the Bilstein B's? What did you use and can you share part numbers? Anyone and everyone chime in here if you have good recommendations. I got a Monroe rear boot bump stop kit from Rockauto and the hole in the bump stop is SOOO much smaller than the Bilstein shock shaft :( !!! I'd like a good fit at least, and if possible not have to drill out the bump stop!

Also did you need to buy new spring pads for the Bilsteins or did the existing ones transfer over from the old shocks?

I've already put on 17" ST wheels and Nitto Neo Gen 215/40R17's and an Eibach rear sway bar. So far it's been a sweet setup and try as I might, I can't even wear these tires out in 20k miles, and I corner as hard as I possibly can and drive it like I stole it, which, I nearly did, long story, but got this car for FREE with 14k miles from an employer that was, well, too kind to me! Lol, that rear sway bar REALLY helps, and since the S comes with a larger front sway bar than even an ST, I think it's a good match.

Anyways, I've got a set of Bilstein B6's waiting for me to install, just need the boots and spring pads if needed. I'm not wanting lowering springs, I like rally car suspension! I'm using stock ST spring take offs.

My other car is a '14 6.2 L Raptor so suspension travel is a thing with me ;) ! I'd like to be a little higher than your car sits. I love the look of yours, I'm just not into slowing down for every dip and speed mound. I'm gonna guess the ST springs lower this S about 1/2 to 1" inch from these pics you see here and that's perfect.

BTW, love your 6th gen Camaro SS 1LE! Is yours a 1SS or 2SS? It's the exact car, that color too, I'll get in a year or two after I sell a couple other cars.

Fiesta_black 17's 1.JPG

Fiesta_black 17's 2.JPG

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The Neo Gens, even though supposedly a very 'dated' tire, are just amazing as far as year 'round street performance/stick vs. wear goes. [thumb]

I beat the daylights out of my set (205/50-16s on 16x8 Dekagrams), and I truly think that they will age/dry rot out before I am able to actually wear them out, despite their 280 tread wear rating! [wink]

Hey Dave88LX!

got this car for FREE with 14k miles from an employer that was, well, too kind to me! Lol, that rear sway bar REALLY helps, and since the S comes with a larger front sway bar than even an ST, I think it's a good match.
That's the best bonus possible lol. Welcome to the non st fun. I'm going on track day #4 this weekend with mine and have 1 more date planned before year end if all goes well.

The Neo Gens, even though supposedly a very 'dated' tire, are just amazing as far as year 'round street performance/stick vs. wear goes. [thumb]

I beat the daylights out of my set (205/50-16s on 16x8 Dekagrams), and I truly think that they will age/dry rot out before I am able to actually wear them out, despite their 280 tread wear rating! [wink]
You're so right! I wanted a sticky tire for better handling than wear (but not a track tire), and the combo of both has really been impressive. Never thought they'd last over 20k miles with that 280 tread wear rating. Almost makes no sense to buy a different tire?? Anyone found a comparable value in a quality brand name tire? No cheapo flimsy off brands....

That's the best bonus possible lol. Welcome to the non st fun. I'm going on track day #4 this weekend with mine and have 1 more date planned before year end if all goes well.
Thanks WannabeST! Haha, love your username :D!! Pray tell what you've done to your car to make it more track worthy? I'm about to adapt an ST Cold Air intake to mine, I'll have to post about it. If it'll work without throwing a code it may improve desperately needed throttle response ;)! Is there much choice for cat back exhaust upgrades for our n/a cars, or are S and ST cars the same after the cat?

Thanks WannabeST! Haha, love your username :D!! Pray tell what you've done to your car to make it more track worthy? I'm about to adapt an ST Cold Air intake to mine, I'll have to post about it. If it'll work without throwing a code it may improve desperately needed throttle response ;)! Is there much choice for cat back exhaust upgrades for our n/a cars, or are S and ST cars the same after the cat?
My car is pretty simple. I don't plan on going absurd with the car since my mustang and R6 take most of my money.
My car has wheels, tires, swift spec r springs, camber bolts up front for a better alignment, brake pads and fluid. Basically the basics for any track car. I will likely slowly improve on the car still. I have rear camber plates and rear spring pads to do soon.
It's not the fastest car at a track day but it's also not the slowest. I've had a bunch of moments where cars with way more mods have to let me by. Seat time is the best mod.
My car is stock exhaust but I've heard everything after the cat is bolt on.

My car is pretty simple. I don't plan on going absurd with the car since my mustang and R6 take most of my money.
My car has wheels, tires, swift spec r springs, camber bolts up front for a better alignment, brake pads and fluid. Basically the basics for any track car. I will likely slowly improve on the car still. I have rear camber plates and rear spring pads to do soon.
It's not the fastest car at a track day but it's also not the slowest. I've had a bunch of moments where cars with way more mods have to let me by. Seat time is the best mod.
My car is stock exhaust but I've heard everything after the cat is bolt on.
Very nice! Lol I only wish this car had about 50 more hp so that mini vans don't drop me at traffic lights! Tell me about the camber bolts up front and plates out back (at the top?)? Where did you get them and why? Are you using different alignments for track days? Wait I see your profile says H&R triple C camber bolts - are these the sh!t or is there anything else you'd recommend?

Are the rear spring pads to raise the back end a little or did you install them with no pads and they make noise?

I want to make sure that I've got everything I need to do the install right on one weekend day without holdups so I can take it in for alignment Monday. Still trying to find shock boots and bump stops that fit the Bilstein B6's.

Are you running those swift springs on stock shocks? How is the ride on bumpy streets? How much % stiffer would you say? I'm sure the track springs are better on the track, but I don't think I'll be tracking this car. I've got an ol' '68 Mustang coupe I'm building as my street/track car. Heck I'd track my 6.2 L Raptor before I'd track the Fiesta :-D !! Kidding....

Very nice! Lol I only wish this car had about 50 more hp so that mini vans don't drop me at traffic lights! Tell me about the camber bolts up front and plates out back (at the top?)? Where did you get them and why? Are you using different alignments for track days? Wait I see your profile says H&R triple C camber bolts - are these the sh!t or is there anything else you'd recommend?

Are the rear spring pads to raise the back end a little or did you install them with no pads and they make noise?

I want to make sure that I've got everything I need to do the install right on one weekend day without holdups so I can take it in for alignment Monday. Still trying to find shock boots and bump stops that fit the Bilstein B6's.

Are you running those swift springs on stock shocks? How is the ride on bumpy streets? How much % stiffer would you say? I'm sure the track springs are better on the track, but I don't think I'll be tracking this car. I've got an ol' '68 Mustang coupe I'm building as my street/track car. Heck I'd track my 6.2 L Raptor before I'd track the Fiesta :-D !! Kidding....
The camber bolts in the front come as a pair. So one for each side. on the bottom of your front strut on each side there is 2 holes where the strut mounts to your knuckle. The camber bolts go on the upper of the 2 holes to allow for some more camber. I do a lot of canyon/ mountain driving on top of track days so I keep the same alignment all the time. I read good reviews online with the triple c bolts and I have zero complaints. I would recommend them.

For the rear spring pads, I ordered ones that are the same size as stock. There should be no ride height change. I got them because my oem ones are starting to tear apart. I noticed this when I did my rear pads. Hopefully this will result in the rear end feeling more firm. Haven't installed yet to confirm.

The camber plates in the rear I also have not installed yet. I'm waiting until after my track day this weekend to see what my rear tire wear looks like. The rear camber plates mount behind the hub in the rear. So it is a bit more involved of a process. I might just wait until a ST rear end pops up to swap them at that time so I can get rear disc as well.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
You're so right! I wanted a sticky tire for better handling than wear (but not a track tire), and the combo of both has really been impressive. Never thought they'd last over 20k miles with that 280 tread wear rating. Almost makes no sense to buy a different tire?? Anyone found a comparable value in a quality brand name tire? No cheapo flimsy off brands....
The only single place where they fall down for me, and only when worn a bit, is in very cold rain (just before it turns to snow/sleet!), and even shallow snow.

Albeit when brand new, they even got me through up to a half inch of that stuff without too much fright. [wink] [thumb]

The camber bolts in the front come as a pair. So one for each side. on the bottom of your front strut on each side there is 2 holes where the strut mounts to your knuckle. The camber bolts go on the upper of the 2 holes to allow for some more camber. I do a lot of canyon/ mountain driving on top of track days so I keep the same alignment all the time. I read good reviews online with the triple c bolts and I have zero complaints. I would recommend them.

For the rear spring pads, I ordered ones that are the same size as stock. There should be no ride height change. I got them because my oem ones are starting to tear apart. I noticed this when I did my rear pads. Hopefully this will result in the rear end feeling more firm. Haven't installed yet to confirm.

The camber plates in the rear I also have not installed yet. I'm waiting until after my track day this weekend to see what my rear tire wear looks like. The rear camber plates mount behind the hub in the rear. So it is a bit more involved of a process. I might just wait until a ST rear end pops up to swap them at that time so I can get rear disc as well.
Yea that might be a great upgrade, to rear disc brakes!! Wonder if it needs a new master cylinder to match?

Did you order stock rear spring pads or aftermarket polyurethane?

Yea my car is pretty light right now, aamof it's light weight is what makes it turn in so quick, but I drive a Duramax diesel truck everyday so anything feels light to me. How in the world did you take out 80 lbs? Stop eating for a month ;)? Take out the whole backseat? Lithium battery?

I've strongly considered selling my n/a fiesta to get an ST, but if I sold it, I might buy a Civic Si, simply cuz the Honda turbo is up front and easy to work on. Thanks for all your feedback Wannabe, appreciate it (y)!

The only single place where they fall down for me, and only when worn a bit, is in very cold rain (just before it turns to snow/sleet!), and even shallow snow.

Albeit when brand new, they even got me through up to a half inch of that stuff without too much fright. [wink] [thumb]
Oh you're right M-Sport, they are not winter tires and I knew that when I bought 'em and am good with the trade off. I'm in the Sacramento CA valley and it hardly freezes here. When I go up to the snow I take the 4x4.

Yea that might be a great upgrade, to rear disc brakes!! Wonder if it needs a new master cylinder to match?

Did you order stock rear spring pads or aftermarket polyurethane?

Yea my car is pretty light right now, aamof it's light weight is what makes it turn in so quick, but I drive a Duramax diesel truck everyday so anything feels light to me. How in the world did you take out 80 lbs? Stop eating for a month ;)? Take out the whole backseat? Lithium battery?

I've strongly considered selling my n/a fiesta to get an ST, but if I sold it, I might buy a Civic Si, simply cuz the Honda turbo is up front and easy to work on. Thanks for all your feedback Wannabe, appreciate it (y)!
I got the whoosh spring pads, so they're poly.

Lithium battery, spare tire and tools, and a few random bits and it'll get you there. I'm trying to drop another 20 pounds on it by end of year too.

If you get a civic si you need to get some of the newer models if you want oem front turbo. Would need the L series engine basically. The older ones would need to be either b series with an aftermarket turbo or k series but that would involve a side/ rear mount turbo.