Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

SVT Rear Brake upgrade

OP
zeddzik
Thread Starter #21
Sounds like a perfect time to order a dial caliper from Amazon and check it out myself. I'll give it a shot and see what I find.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

slopoke

Your rear brakes should not cause the effect that you describe in the steering wheel. Only the front brakes should cause that. You need to check the front rotors for warpage, not the rears.

OP
zeddzik
Thread Starter #23
Your rear brakes should not cause the effect that you describe in the steering wheel. Only the front brakes should cause that. You need to check the front rotors for warpage, not the rears.
Shit... That's gonna be expensive if it's the fronts haha

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Shit... That's gonna be expensive if it's the fronts haha

Find out what the spec is for Discard and turn them if possible to True them again. That's what I would do!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
zeddzik
Thread Starter #26
Could it be the wheel bearings or something else from driving on unbalanced wheels all winter?

slopoke

Most of the time, it's a warped rotor. You'd need to use either a dial indicator to measure runout. Or remove the rotor and put it on a surface plate or piece of glass and run a feeler gauge around the circumference. Good luck.

slopoke

So what method did you use to rule out your front brake system? You said that your steering wheel jutters when applying the brakes. Are you saying that your steering wheel shakes only when you apply the brakes, or does your steering wheel also jutter and gets worse as you go faster in speed with no brakes?

OP
zeddzik
Thread Starter #33
So what method did you use to rule out your front brake system? You said that your steering wheel jutters when applying the brakes. Are you saying that your steering wheel shakes only when you apply the brakes, or does your steering wheel also jutter and gets worse as you go faster in speed with no brakes?
Its now almost independent of brake application, it actually gets better if I hold the brakes at high speed. But yeah it's the regular unbalanced wheel sensation along with the feeling of something loose in the drivetrain almost as if one of the wheels isn't torqued down.

slopoke

Its now almost independent of brake application, it actually gets better if I hold the brakes at high speed. But yeah it's the regular unbalanced wheel sensation along with the feeling of something loose in the drivetrain almost as if one of the wheels isn't torqued down.

Put the rear wheels on the front and see what happens, it might be a tire issue.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
That side to side play worries me. Itll habe a little rotational play in the axles and drive line. But you shouldnt be able to shake the wheel side to side like that. Can you also rock it up and down the same way??

OP
zeddzik
Thread Starter #36
No play up and down only side to side.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Gonna have to crawl under it and ses if there are any worn suspension components. Im guessing wheel bearing or tie rod end.

OP
zeddzik
Thread Starter #39
Okay I'll give those a look as well.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
it is a long shot, but also check the 3 bolts that hold the steering rack down on the subframe. I had my bolts get loose. Very hard to get to them to tighten them without dropping the subframe. Mine are probably not torqued correctly but at least they arnt mostly out like before.