Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Sway bar bushings, no sub frame removal?

When checking the grease on my tie rod ends, I noticed I could see all 4 bolts on the bushings. So I figured it MUST be possible to get in there with a hand tool without dropping the subframe?! Can anyone say if this is actually possible with a swivel head ratchet? Would there be an issue with applying a new bushing in this format you think?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Erick_V

I might be wrong but for a front sway bar install you remove 2 of the bolts and loosen the other 2 so it drops the subframe enough (not fully removed) for you to get the sway bar out. I imagine it would be hard to remove and install the bushings with it still in the car

OP
D
Thread Starter #4
Very interesting, I figure I pop off one bushing at a time and reinstall with the energy suspension bushing I have; tight like a tiger. Reinstalling the bushing is going to be a PITA LOL. Wish me luck!

OP
D
Thread Starter #5
Is that manual highlighting the exhaust hanger to be removed?

Make sure you grease them. If they start squeaking, it will drive you nuts! (based on my experience with another car)
What kind of grease should be used on poly bushings? I know not to use petroleum based grease on rubber bushings!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

green_henry

1000 Post Club
What kind of grease should be used on poly bushings? I know not to use petroleum based grease on rubber bushings!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Energy Suspensions usually includes a little packet of grease with their bushings. It's super sticky stuff and didn't work particularly well for me -- dried/washed out and started squeaking a year later. I switched to Mobil 1 grease and never had an issue.

OP
D
Thread Starter #11
Ok I have successfully removed the oem bushings, now how in the hell can I manage to get the poly bushings onto the sway bar?! Anyone have any ideas? I did not lower the sub frame so I am working with very limited space.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

OP
D
Thread Starter #12
The answer is boiling water. Yes, boiling water. Pop open the sway bar bushings with a wooden dowel and soak for 8-10 minutes in boiling water. This works for polyurethane bushings only AFAIK, worked like a charm. Made the bushing just pliable enough to walk essentially walk it off of the wooden dowel, little by little, whilst forcing the corner portion of the bushing onto the bar. A small gap is noticeable after doing this method but once you cinch up the bracket it doesn't even matter.

Last edited:
OP
D
Thread Starter #13
The shop manual shows it as being done without

The manual shows that you don't need to drop the subframe.
View attachment 25186 View attachment 25187
The answer is boiling water. Yes, boiling water. Pop open the sway bar bushings with a wooden dowel and soak for 8-10 minutes in boiling water. This works for polyurethane bushings only AFAIK, worked like a charm. Made the bushing just pliable enough to walk essentially walk it off of the wooden dowel, little by little, whilst forcing the corner portion of the bushing onto the bar. A small gap is noticeable after doing this method but once you cinch up the bracket it doesn't even matter.

Thank you for the assistance

Sam4

Just need to picture it in your head, no subframe lowering, but you can't actually see your work (no lift, driveway job). Work by feel. Now this is coming from a guy who has not been able to complete the LCA swap I thought would be a cinch......
I got the Powerflex 19mm bushings but they most definitely do not work, had to put the OE back on and order from Ford.

OP
D
Thread Starter #15
Just need to picture it in your head, no subframe lowering, but you can't actually see your work (no lift, driveway job). Work by feel. Now this is coming from a guy who has not been able to complete the LCA swap I thought would be a cinch......
I got the Powerflex 19mm bushings but they most definitely do not work, had to put the OE back on and order from Ford.
What year is your car? I'm aware that 2016+ have the standard Fiesta sway bar bumping up a couple millimeters from 19mm.

Fiestig

I just did energy suspension bushings on my 17 and they are amazing. Not sure you could tell the difference between these on the stock sway bar and an aftermarket sway bar. Didn't have to lower anything. Just jacked up the front, pulled the wheels off, and the stock sub braces. Plenty of room but you do need a flex head ratchet. I was able to push the bushings onto the sway bar without issue. Just took a bit of force since they were greased to the max. Completed it all in about an hour.

Part#: Energy Suspension 9.5158R

If I did it again I wouldn't bother with the fitting set unless you change to 90deg zerk

Sam4

What year is your car? I'm aware that 2016+ have the standard Fiesta sway bar bumping up a couple millimeters from 19mm.

2015. The OE bushings/ OE design have a stamped bracket that will not allow the powerflex to be mounted.

kevinatfms

Wrap the bar in teflon tape right at the bushing. One or two wraps should be perfect. Then lube it up with the Energy Suspension grease. That will eliminate any possibility of the bushing squeaking.

Yeah, Powerflex are crap, not even close to fitting the factory brackets. I made them work but had to grind off a LOT of material.