Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Sync 3.4 Upgrade?

danbfree

3000 Post Club
So for those that are wondering, either the '16-'19 USB hub with 2 USB A that you would get to add CarPlay to a '16 or the new one with a USB C and a USB A will work with the 3.4 update from the original post.

BUT, if you want the USB C one make sure to get the one with the rectangular housing and not the one with the square housing to fit, they are often listed as the same part number. As of today's date, the rectangular one we need is hard to find, only been seeing the square housing ones actually in stock anywhere.

Also, I've been running 3.4 19200 non-nav for a while and have had 0 issues, I recommend it to anyone who wants a faster response and more modern appearance.

So for those that are wondering, either the '16-'19 USB hub with 2 USB A that you would get to add CarPlay to a '16 or the new one with a USB C and a USB A will work with the 3.4 update from the original post.

BUT, if you want the USB C one make sure to get the one with the rectangular housing and not the one with the square housing to fit, they are often listed as the same part number. As of today's date, the rectangular one we need is hard to find, only been seeing the square housing ones actually in stock anywhere.

Also, I've been running 3.4 19200 non-nav for a while and have had 0 issues, I recommend it to anyone who wants a faster response and more modern appearance.
I'm tempted to try to install this. Do you know if it's possible to go back to 3.0 in case something's wrong or I simply don't like 3.4?

the duke

So how does one upgrade the software to a car that didn't come with Sync 3? Don't you need a vin?

the duke

you have to swap out all the hardware to sync3 stuff first
I'm asking how you acquire the software after the hardware is changed. If i recall correctly Ford requires a VIN to verify you have SYNC 3, but if you swapped hardware your VIN won't work. Ford thinks I still have SYNC 2

I'm asking how you acquire the software after the hardware is changed. If i recall correctly Ford requires a VIN to verify you have SYNC 3, but if you swapped hardware your VIN won't work. Ford thinks I still have SYNC 2
3.4 isn't an official update, so no vin required. as far as converting to sync3, my car originally came with it but as far as I know it's just whatever is loaded on the APIM. There's not a vin lock on the computer like honda uses

DEss

Yes, if you're trying to get the software from ford, it does a vin check to determine which compressed file package to allow you to download.

If you're willing to try getting the package from non-official sources, there are some people who have hosted the various update packages. You may be able to download the sync3 upgrade from them by searching in this forum for sync3 upgrade; or, there was, at one time, someone who shared it on the f150 forum.

DEss

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I'm tempted to try to install this. Do you know if it's possible to go back to 3.0 in case something's wrong or I simply don't like 3.4?
Yes, as long as you don't go past the base 19200 version the update site recommends... but I doubt you will want to go back, again, response is better, more modern look, I didn't even lose radio presets or my ST start screen I had previously set in Forscan. Still have to delete and re-add phone from Bluetooth list occasionally, like I've always had to do.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Who cares what Ford thinks you have, the system itself will already have the base Sync 3 software and only way to get 3.4 anyway on it is by going this unoffical route, which is a well polished method and I had no problems with at all. You will obviously have to change the USB hub anyway, so once you do you can update to 3.4 that Ford will never offer for us.

Im running 3.4 19200 non-nav too (for 3 weeks now). It's been solid compared to the buggy 3.0. Glad I got rid of 3.0. Upgrade path was easy!

Who cares what Ford thinks you have, the system itself will already have the base Sync 3 software and only way to get 3.4 anyway on it is by going this unoffical route, which is a well polished method and I had no problems with at all. You will obviously have to change the USB hub anyway, so once you do you can update to 3.4 that Ford will never offer for us.
This is correct (y)!!! I purchased SYNC 3.0 APIM from another member here and swapped out the SYNC 2 and USB hub back in Dec 2018. Who cares what it says in Ford system about your VIN and Sync. They will never give us an official update because they just want us to give up our ST for a slower and less fun to drive SUV. All you need is a SYNC 3.0 APIM and you can update easily to 3.4.

edit to this - also need to add the Blue Fakra GPS antenna (really cheap) for the compass to work correctly in SYNC 3.0 APIM Module

Last edited:

Ralf

Hub is only required for apple car play. I use google android auto and old hub works. I get the message that it is not compatible, but I click ok and my phone and mp3 works without any problems.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Hub is only required for apple car play. I use google android auto and old hub works. I get the message that it is not compatible, but I click ok and my phone and mp3 works without any problems.
Oh, so the '14-'15 hub that comes with Sync 2 is the same one that comes with Sync 3 for '16 then? I just know I have a '17 and use Android myself, and '17 was the first year for ACP support too...

Bumping an old thread to see if there are any updates..It looks like rev 19200 is the last verified stable version for the Fiesta but there have been several releases since then. I don't want to end up bricking my system so I'll stick with that for now. Just wondering if anyone has had success with newer versions or if there is even a reason to bother.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Today I downloaded cyan labs tool. Followed the instructions and successfully updated from sync 3 version 2.2 all the way to the latest 3.4 rev available.

I started the car, plugged in the thumb drive and sync3 immediately says the update failed! But how? Nothing had started installing yet. I click close and watch the screen. Then it says restarting and the update begins. Visions of varying Mustang images dance across the screen.

About 15 minutes into my drive it completes and requests that I remove the thumb drive. I pulled the drive and sync rebooted into 3.4 without issue. It then tells me usb hub not compatible. I do nothing and the warning disappears. I plug in my phone and nothing...unlock the phone and android auto is there waiting. Sync also prompts for android auto setup. Run throught the prompts and all is good.

Much more responsive and I swear even my music sounds punchier. I've played with it all of 15 minutes in the gym parking lot, but so far all seemed just fine. Easy brainless update - my fave.

Today I downloaded cyan labs tool. Followed the instructions and successfully updated from sync 3 version 2.2 all the way to the latest 3.4 rev available.
Good to know! Please let us know how you like it after playing with it for a few more days.

I started the car, plugged in the thumb drive and sync3 immediately says the update failed! But how? Nothing had started installing yet. I click close and watch the screen. Then it says restarting and the update begins. Visions of varying Mustang images dance across the screen.

About 15 minutes into my drive it completes and requests that I remove the thumb drive. I pulled the drive and sync rebooted into 3.4 without issue. It then tells me usb hub not compatible. I do nothing and the warning disappears. I plug in my phone and nothing...unlock the phone and android auto is there waiting. Sync also prompts for android auto setup. Run throught the prompts and all is good.

Much more responsive and I swear even my music sounds punchier. I've played with it all of 15 minutes in the gym parking lot, but so far all seemed just fine. Easy brainless update - my fave.
I have a 2019, am running the current version of 3.0, and have navigation. I always like refreshed user interfaces/graphics, so 3.4 intrigues me but I don't want to brick my system.

I've done updates before with a thumb drive and know that it often takes a long time, etc. No problem.

I have no idea what all the talk of hubs is about. My car has the flat USB ports that a normal thumb drive plugs into, and to use Android Auto or to charge my phone, I plug a cable that has the "standard" flat USB into the car, and then the USB-C into my phone.

So, as more of us try that 3.4 update, I'd like to know what problems, if any, are encountered. If any permanent issues. And etc.

Thanks...

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
It's been a few weeks now and things are mostly going well. The issues I'm having continue to revolve around Spotify/Pandora and Android Auto startup. Everything I'm experiencing was also happening on version 2.2 as well, just way more frequent.

Spotify:
  • A message saying that Spotify doesn't appear to be working right now
  • It opens but no audio. Skipping to the next track clears it up
  • It opens but skipping to the next track brings it right back to the previous track. Phone restart clears it or car restart or both
Pandora
  • It won't open at all. Phone/car restart clears it.
  • It will open but won't access my playlists. Phone/car restart clears it.
Google maps always works now. That wasn't the case with 2.2.

A new (but rare) one is AA starting up, Spotify and Pandora not working, and radio is still playing while the AA screen is up. Gotta restart the car for that one. And when i say restart the car, i mean shut it off, OPEN THE DOOR TO KILL THE HEADUNIT, then restart.

And then there's the times when Android Auto just doesn't feel like starting up. This happened all the time with version 2.2. I'd say it happens noticeably less with 3.4 but let's face it, AA is crap and will always have it's quirks. It's no worse than it was b4 the upgrade and better enough that i don't regret doing it. But if you're expecting a panacea, this is not it. I still plug the phone in BEFORE starting the car as that seems to be the most consistent. But in the end i still feel like it's a roll of the dice each time. But these days i just win more! lol Go FERD!

@BillSchm @bflan2001