Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Tech tip for wiring.

Not sure if anyone posted this before, but just a little tip. I wanted to hardwire my Uniden R7 Radar Detector and I wanted to use an Add-A-Fuse in the fuse box. I don't like to tap into circuits and have random fuses all over the place...I like my fuses in the fuse box, what can I say. Well trying to fish a wire from one side of the firewall to the other proved daunting. Then I remembered there was the flex tube that the Symposer used that goes into the cabin. I had already deleted the Symposer so I pulled the hose apart inside the cabin at the joint and I tried to fish a coat hanger thru, but the bend was too sharp. So I tied a knot in a piece of string and blew it thru the hose with 80 psi of compressed air. It came out just at the back of and below the battery box. A perfect conduit for wires!!!

Last edited:
Good tip! Wish I knew this when I ran the wire for my e30 gauge!

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
Nice! What would your estimate be on how much you could get through there? What gauge wire? (yes, flexibility varies) or a vacuum hose, etc.

OP
ywgbandit
Thread Starter #6
Nice! What would your estimate be on how much you could get through there? What gauge wire? (yes, flexibility varies) or a vacuum hose, etc.
That tube has to be about a 1 inch ID tube. I would think you could get a pretty big wire and a vacuum hose thru there. It would have to be flexible because there is a pretty sharp bend right where it goes thru the firewall. I never tried anything bigger than the wire I needed, so I'm not 100% sure?

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
That tube has to be about a 1 inch ID tube. I would think you could get a pretty big wire and a vacuum hose thru there. It would have to be flexible because there is a pretty sharp bend right where it goes thru the firewall. I never tried anything bigger than the wire I needed, so I'm not 100% sure?
If I could get my hands on some kind of slippery, teflon-like, super-thin collapsable tubing (think expandable hoses), it could be blown through and then wires could slide through easier. Does such a thing exist?

EDIT:
Amazon.com: MGI SpeedWare Woven Mesh Split-Sleeve Wire Loom for High-Temperature Automotive Harness and Home Cable Management - 25 feet (3/4"): Home Audio & Theater
Amazon.com: 20ft 1 inch Cord Protector, Braided Cable Sleeve, Split Wire Loom Tubing, Cord Wrap Organizer for Computer: Home Improvement

I could use the remainder for the trailer wiring in the car and on the trailer.

Last edited:
OP
ywgbandit
Thread Starter #9
If I could get my hands on some kind of slippery, teflon-like, super-thin collapsable tubing (think expandable hoses), it could be blown through and then wires could slide through easier. Does such a thing exist?
Once I blew the waxed string I was using thru the plastic hose it was very easy to pull the wire thru with the string. It was harder to pull the hose out of the connection up inside the dash, but a good pull on it separated the hose

PhoenixM3

Not sure if anyone posted this before, but just a little tip. I wanted to hardwire my Uniden R7 Radar Detector and I wanted to use an Add-A-Fuse in the fuse box. I don't like to tap into circuits and have random fuses all over the place...I like my fuses in the fuse box, what can I say. Well trying to fish a wire from one side of the firewall to the other proved daunting. Then I remembered there was the flex tube that the Symposer used that goes into the cabin. I had already deleted the Symposer so I pulled the hose apart inside the cabin at the joint and I tried to fish a coat hanger thru, but the bend was too sharp. So I tied a knot in a piece of string and blew it thru the hose with 80 psi of compressed air. It came out just at the back of and below the battery box. A perfect conduit for wires!!!
I had a similar idea for routing my ALP sensor wires. Didn’t know about the 90 bend though. Thanks!

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
Once I blew the waxed string I was using thru the plastic hose it was very easy to pull the wire thru with the string. It was harder to pull the hose out of the connection up inside the dash, but a good pull on it separated the hose
Network cable PULL STRING. I have plenty of that.