Temperature question

Member ID
Hi all, day two with my new car, and I'm starting to push buttons and things on the dashboard. On the way to work, car fully warm, I turned the temperature knob from LO to HI and everywhere in between. Dash ambient temp read 63. I didn't feel a perceptible increase in heat from the vents until it was over 80 or so. Does that sound normal?

Etyrnus

Member ID
Two questions, was the car warmed up fully, and did you have it on auto? I know on mine, until the engine temp indicator shows 4 bars, I have no heat. And on auto, it will vary cool and warm to keep the cabin at the set temp, though it can take a minute to adjust.

Edit, I need to get my eyes checked...you had answered the first one...d'oh

Chuckable

Member ID
Doesn't sound too strange. How quickly you feel a difference depends upon the ambient temp in the car, and even what setting you have the system on i.e. lower vents only, lower and forward facing vents, defrost, etc.

Member ID
Also, take note, the temp is the set temp the auto climate control tries to reach and maintain. Changing the temp from 61-85 will do nothing to change the air temp coming out of the vent, if the ambient is much lower than the set. They system will try to bring the temp up and then hold temp at your setting.

I always laugh at people who have an auto climate system and keep flipping the numbers, they crank it higher when they first get in, then set it lower once they feel warm enough. WHAT IS THE POINT OF YOUR AUTO CLIMATE CONTROL SYSTEM???

The only auto setting that maxes fan speeds is LO, HI, and the front windscreen defrost button.

My fiancee always turns the dial up and complains no heat when we first start the car. I keep telling her, the heat will be on, when there is heat in the coolant.

OP
Gone in 60
Member ID
Thread Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I'll try to explain that to my wife when she gets in, cranks the heat and complains. That's why her car has dual zone.

Member ID
I've owned a ton of cars before the FiST but this is my first car with an auto climate control. Drove me crazy the first few weeks that I've owned it. Even if I'm used to it now, I'd still prefer the old style (red, white, blue, and everything in between). I'm too analog for this I guess haha.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
Member ID
I've owned a ton of cars before the FiST but this is my first car with an auto climate control. Drove me crazy the first few weeks that I've owned it. Even if I'm used to it now, I'd still prefer the old style (red, white, blue, and everything in between). I'm too analog for this I guess haha.
You can use this one manually as well as auto. I actually use it myself in manual mode most of the time.