Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

1.6 Ecoboost "Lifetime" Timing Belt

me32

1000 Post Club
I have always liked chains. I've actually never had to replace one. The may stretch some but they dont fail at least none of mine have in my fords that had over 250k miles

me32

1000 Post Club
Chains def fail in the mazdaspeed world lol. And man are the pricey to fix
Good to know. I've been use to ford v8s from the old 5.0HO to the new 5.0 coyote and not one ever failed or even threw timing off.

I had about 220K miles on my old air-cooled 911 when I sold it and never did anything with the timing chain. I'd feel better if the FiST had a chain instead of a belt.

Can't believe they are timing belt driven, wow it assumed it would be chain. I've had a timing belt go on a car before and basically had to scrap the car because it needed a whole new engine! I'll be making sure I stay on top of the belt.

TheStig

Nissan was putting timming chains in motors since the early 90's with the KA series in the 240sx (stateside). But those did have issues and when they got a little worn out they made a helluva racket, but worked fine.

OP
airjor13

airjor13

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #49
In my experience it's not usually the chain that causes issues, it's plastic cheap tensioners and guides that fail.

OP
airjor13

airjor13

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #50
I feel for Evo X / 4B11T guys, holy chain stretch batman!

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Can't recall the last time I heard of a Honda eating a belt that runs the cams and the water pump but then I am kinda proactive about that sort of thing .. did not like the timing chain failures in the 5.7 hemi's like the ones in my Challengers of a few yrs ago ..

At what mileage goes the timing belt need to be replaced on these cars and more notably, is it an interference engine? Thanks!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
HOW could there possibly be a timing belt which sits in engine sump oil, and SURVIVE for 150K+ miles?!?!?!?! [???:)]

It would have to be a $500.00+, aramid/kevlar/carbon fiber composite material item in order to stand up to the corrosive acids, dissolved into the oil blow-by gasses, (DI amplified) raw fuel, and heat of sump oil, especially at 10K mile+ oil change intervals!

IF I knew that our engines had this type of setup, it would be UNDER 3K mile oil changes for me, with the highest TBN/lowest TAN producing oil I could find, in order to try and 'save' that expen$ive to change belt, and possibly the WHOLE engine if this IS an interference deal, if and when it decides to let go. [crazyeye] :(

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
I've read this thread and I think there is confusion. The belt that the alternator is being driven from also called a serpentine belt are timing belt which is referenced in the owners manual.

V_2

Almost positive it's an interference setup. You aren't likely to achieve 10:1 compression without it.

grnmachine02

HOW could there possibly be a timing belt which sits in engine sump oil, and SURVIVE for 150K+ miles?!?!?!?! [???:)]

It would have to be a $500.00+, aramid/kevlar/carbon fiber composite material item in order to stand up to the corrosive acids, dissolved into the oil blow-by gasses, (DI amplified) raw fuel, and heat of sump oil, especially at 10K mile+ oil change intervals!

IF I knew that our engines had this type of setup, it would be UNDER 3K mile oil changes for me, with the highest TBN/lowest TAN producing oil I could find, in order to try and 'save' that expen$ive to change belt, and possibly the WHOLE engine if this IS an interference deal, if and when it decides to let go. [crazyeye] :(
Wait, what? I've never ever seen a timing belt that is in contact with oil. Most modern timing belts have a 100k-150k change interval.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Wait, what? I've never ever seen a timing belt that is in contact with oil. Most modern timing belts have a 100k-150k change interval.
Yes, EXACTLY why I am questioning this notion that ours is in sump oil!!

Can DHM come on here and confirm or refute any of this, since they have had these 1.6 Ecoboosts FULLY apart for rebuilds?? PLEASE?

grnmachine02

Yes, EXACTLY why I am questioning this notion that ours is in sump oil!!

Can DHM come on here and confirm or refute any of this, since they have had these 1.6 Ecoboosts FULLY apart for rebuilds?? PLEASE?
There's a picture a few pages back that you can see the timing belt is not encased in oil. Sitting behind the crank pulley under a cover.

At least that's how it looks to me.