Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

The BlueBomber - Performance Blue '14 Fiesta ST "I am a Photo Whore" Thread

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Nice SubStation reminds me of work sort of since we send the stuff to them .. LOL

Wow. So many of them together. I've seen 4 on the road in 2 months. I guess Houston is the wrong town. It doesn't help that the square mileage of the Greater Houston area is roughly 10,000 square miles.

OP
BlueBomber

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #26
215-45-zr17 Hankook Concept IIs or something, I used generic mudflaps. Ended up adjusting the rears again after the shoot. Total cost for mudflaps: <$20 shipped from Amazon lol

Cheers
Nick

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Looks great Nick! I assume you got the ST coilovers installed? If yes let me know how they perform.

OP
BlueBomber

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #28
Looks great Nick! I assume you got the ST coilovers installed? If yes let me know how they perform.
Everyone is under the impression I had the coilovers installed... not yet! Stock.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I love the look with those tires. Exactly what i'm looking for. I drive in the city a lot and need some rubber for protection...

I'm assuming no rubbing issues on stock wheels and suspension?

OP
BlueBomber

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #30
I love the look with those tires. Exactly what i'm looking for. I drive in the city a lot and need some rubber for protection...

I'm assuming no rubbing issues on stock wheels and suspension?
No rub at all. I rubbed for about 2-3mins right after i got the car off the lift and have not rubbed since after the suspension settled.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
How much of a difference would 215/40 be? I definitely want to go thicker and would like to gain some performance aspects as well if at all possible.

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Everyone is under the impression I had the coilovers installed... not yet! Stock.
I guess its the 45 series tires that make it look lowered, either way it looks really good.

OP
BlueBomber

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #34
I don't think I understand what you are asking.

215-40 will be best as its closest to stock but I like 215-45 because a) the extra "5" in the sidewall makes the ride so much more pleasant around the shitty roads here and b) 215-40 was f&&king expensive so I opted for the much more common 215-45.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club

215-40 will be best as its closest to stock but I like 215-45 because a) the extra "5" in the sidewall makes the ride so much more pleasant around the shitty roads here and b) 215-40 was f&&king expensive so I opted for the much more common 215-45.
That's the answer I was looking for. I don't know that much about tires so I just wanted to know what the difference was. I definitely need more sidewall here also, with driving on these shitty city roads every day.

Seems to be a common occurrence, the bad roads. I'm surprised that I haven't had a blowout yet in the Houston area.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
How much of a difference would 215/40 be? I definitely want to go thicker and would like to gain some performance aspects as well if at all possible.

Sorry to interject here, but I thought I would shed some light on this given my experience in the fitment segment of the population. Given the stock 205/40/17's-

205-Width as taken from the widest point measured from sidewall-to-sidewall, measured in mm.
40- Sidewall height as a percentage of width, i.e.- 40% of 205mm = 82mm from wheel to tread, also measured in mm.
17- Size of wheel, measured in inches.

With that, a 215/40 will be 4mm taller in sidewall or 8mm in total diameter from tread-to-tread. A 215/45 would be a total of 14.75 mm taller in sidewall compared to stock, or 29.5mm total diameter. The taller sidewall of either non-OEM tire will place the outer edge of the tire closer to the fender-liner as well as raise the car by that diameter. Visually it will make the car appear lower when viewing the tire/fender relationship while making the car appear taller when viewing the side-skirt/ground relationship. I use http://www.willtheyfit.com as a general guide when doing fitment calculations. A lot of vehicle handling characteristics can and will be altered by this, which makes it a great tool for tuning a vehicle to fit your needs.

Note-Going with a larger or smaller circumference than OEM will result in your speedometer/odometer being off by a percentage.

On a final note, sizing isn't very regulated within the tire community so you have to pay close attention to the little details if you're going to be pushing the limits of fitment. My 215/40/18 General SS-595's had nearly the same tread width as my 235/40/18 Michelin PS3's because the width of the Generals were taken at or near the tread while the Michelin's were taken somewhere along the sidewall.

OP
BlueBomber

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #40
Yup.
I used will they fit as well to do my initial calculations.
I have coilovers coming so I'm marginally concerned.

But all in all the increase in sidewall yielded the desired effect. Grip and ride quality are improved, but not rubbing.