Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

The merits of stopping at a stage 2+ setup

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I bought what I could afford and will upload the maps as I bolt on my part and hopefully that'll do the job. That's all one can do, right?
Pretty much...or you could research and save up instead running into a purchase. PotAto, potato.

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
True I bought a cheap IC and it was built Cheap as faak, they can't all be 10's. Back to the topic boys[party]

I am sticking at stage 2 with handling addons till I do a bigger turbo. Have a catless downpipe in the box waiting for that day, but till then I am fine.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #26
Great conversation fellas......

First of all, an intake is essentially a useless noisemaker. Green filter at most and you're done until you go big turbo... this seems to be the consensus, someone correct me if I'm wrong... but if I'm right, that $400 you spent on the CPE intake could have been much better spent.
No sir, true cold air intakes like the CP-E have been proven to bring significant increases.

Post #67.....+ 8HP + 10TQ:
http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...ot-Intake-System?p=81866&viewfull=1#post81866

CP-E intake can be had for $330 shipped on sale. Not a bad price for the gains, plus the thing looks amazing.

These goals are in-line with what I have planned for the car. Car has a ton of torque steer... and I'd like to stay away from that by adding a bunch of power lol.
Ditto, that's one reason I'm happy with this level of power, as I said earlier I've read where people are actually limiting low end power through tuning to prevent wheelspin/torque steer. Why pay for mods to make it fast and then pay for a tune to limit the speed? Sure power is gained up high, but I tend to shift by 5,000 rpm. Daily drive, not track car. Better mpgs too.

I think that's where I'll eventually add up as well. It's hard to justify spending $7000+ on a car at this price point. $2000-$3000 I'm a bit more comfortable justifying in my head.

It's kind of similar in the PC world. Why build a core i5, overclock it, watercool it, etc.? You'd be better off spending that extra cash on a more capable platform in the i7. Even with a stock heatsink it's going to be faster and more moddable later on.
Well said, great illustration of our current conversation.

All you need is an aggressive tune to max out the OEM turbo, if you want longevity then you add the FMIC and a DP or CBE. I've seen lots of interesting tuning decisions lately and everyone has their own opinion of what the best 'cheap' setup is...
True, Adam told me that he beat Cobb's stage 3 numbers with zero hardware, only a tune. But a tune like that without hardware to support it is going to result in premature mechanical failure.

Isn't that the truth. I've gone the MR230 route with some differences in terms of the specific CBE and certain intake piping decisions. That's not been the least expensive route, but I think it's comparatively safe. It runs well on our pump gas and at the track I'll bump the octane with Torco to (hopefully) deter potential detonation. Add to that suspension and engine cooling adjustments, and this has become a not-so-cheap exercise in personalization.

Here's the thing: Even applying moderation to the HP/TQ enhancements and working to help reduce heat-related damage due to track day abuse, there is a risk that the engine will crater. Look at what [MENTION=688]Sourskittle[/MENTION] is documenting in his epically unfortunate thread.

Now, if you strictly daily drive this car without testing its limits, then the MP215 or Cobb equivalent is all you need to liven up the little critter. That's PLENTY of daily-driver scoot for this car to be entertaining. Getting on the freeway is a hoot and there's plenty of TQ for corner exit in the twisties..plus: warranty is completely preserved (in the case of the MP215 setup).

That's just 2 cents from the peanut gallery. YMMV.
Well said, well said....when I joined this forum and read what some people are doing, I had no doubt that before long someone would abuse their car to the point of catastrophic failure. I seriously doubt this will be a big-time issue for any FiST that is modded and driven conservatively and safely. At the same time admire Sourskittle for throwing caution out the door and seeing what this car is capable of. Just not my goals for the Fist though.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
No sir, true cold air intakes like the CP-E have been proven to bring significant increases.
Actually, there has only been one third-party review of that intake that showed a gain, and ultimately the tuner of that car revealed that the reason it showed a gain was because the dyno was done incorrectly and that the engine temperature differences were what caused the gain, not the intake. Intake modifications have been well-documented on this site to do nothing. I own the cp-e intake for my FoST and the same holds true in that community.

It's a great-looking part but that's all it or any other intake is on the OEM turbo-eye candy.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #28
Actually, there has only been one third-party review of that intake that showed a gain, and ultimately the tuner of that car revealed that the reason it showed a gain was because the dyno was done incorrectly and that the engine temperature differences were what caused the gain, not the intake. Intake modifications have been well-documented on this site to do nothing. I own the cp-e intake for my FoST and the same holds true in that community.

It's a great-looking part but that's all it or any other intake is on the OEM turbo-eye candy.
Are you sure about that? I saw more than one Dyno pull with the intake showed gains.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Are you sure about that? I saw more than one Dyno pull with the intake showed gains.
I'm so sure of it that it literally baffles me that some people still think otherwise. You have discounted a part that has been proven to show gains (no matter how small) in favor of one that has been proven to not show gains. The only intake that has shown legitimate gains has been the 2JR, everything else had either been neutral or worse-added heat soak.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #30
I'm so sure of it that it literally baffles me that some people still think otherwise. You have discounted a part that has been proven to show gains (no matter how small) in favor of one that has been proven to not show gains. The only intake that has shown legitimate gains has been the 2JR, everything else had either been neutral or worse-added heat soak.
Interesting....please provide a reference to the info you are sharing, I am interested to read it. Till then I'm still a believer in the CP-E as being more than eye candy.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Interesting....please provide a reference to the info you are sharing, I am interested to read it. Till then I'm still a believer in the CP-E as being more than eye candy.
I have nothing to prove, nor do I have time to link you to all of the discussions that can be found by simply searching and reading the forum. If you want to believe in it then great, believe in it. Like I said, I own one and know for a fact that it does nothing on my FoST, and I've been part of the community long enough to have watched parts get introduced, advertised, then tested to verify/disprove claims. Just don't be surprised when you do a datalog comparison later just to find out I'm right and that you spent that money on eye-candy.

It's definitely the best-looking eye-candy available though, imho.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #32
I have nothing to prove, nor do I have time to link you to all of the discussions that can be found by simply searching and reading the forum. If you want to believe in it then great, believe in it. Like I said, I own one and know for a fact that it does nothing on my FoST, and I've been part of the community long enough to have watched parts get introduced, advertised, then tested to verify/disprove claims. Just don't be surprised when you do a datalog comparison later just to find out I'm right and that you spent that money on eye-candy.

It's definitely the best-looking eye-candy available though, imho.
Well if you present information it would be good to back it up with objective proof. I might have missed something, but everything I have read on these forums contains only positive information about this intake for the fiesta. It may be that the data you are referencing applies to the focus but not to the fiesta. Also I do remember seeing multiple dynos that proved that there were gains. Later on I will take some of them up.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Great conversation fellas......

Post #67.....+ 8HP + 10TQ:
http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...ot-Intake-System?p=81866&viewfull=1#post81866

CP-E intake can be had for $330 shipped on sale. Not a bad price for the gains, plus the thing looks amazing.
Really? Because I have data that proves otherwise. I already posted it.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #34
Really? Because I have data that proves otherwise.
Share it! I am open to new info. Hard to doubt the info I presented though, unless you can show me where the person that presented it said it was not valid as was previously stated.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Share it! I am open to new info. Hard to doubt the info I presented though, unless you can show me where the person that presented it said it was not valid as was previously stated.
I have shared it.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Well if you present information it would be good to back it up with objective proof. I might have missed something, but everything I have read on these forums contains only positive information about this intake for the fiesta. It may be that the data you are referencing applies to the focus but not to the fiesta. Also I do remember seeing multiple dynos that proved that there were gains. Later on I will take some of them up.
I'm definitely not confusing the platforms because I tune both.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I am unable to find your data. Can you post a link?
I posted this and I believe the weather conditions in the vDyno thread a little while ago.

These are back to back runs, within 80 minutes or so.

JasonHaven

Hijinx, I thought I remember you having a modified stock intake in some fashion, can you remind us what your stock intake setup was/is?