Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

The Official Creak, Rattle and other noise complaint thread

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I've developed a persistent rattle coming from the headliner directly in front of the rear passenger seat lights. Only happens at idle but damn it's annoying.. Anyone else experienced this and found a fix for it that doesn't involve tearing out the entire headliner?

Also have a few rattles over rough pavement in the trunk area. Not found where yet and broke some interior panels trying to locate :mad: Sounds like it's coming from the panels on the sides of the cargo area.

I suppose over the rough Indianapolis roads I shouldn't be shocked it's turned into a rattle box.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Do you have a window on the roof? After the dealer took it apart, the window roof shade rattles when the roof window is open. If I push the shade back farther it quits rattling.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Do you have a window on the roof? After the dealer took it apart, the window roof shade rattles when the roof window is open. If I push the shade back farther it quits rattling.
I do indeed have the roof window. Rattle occurs whether it's open/closed and same for the shade.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
If you press on a spot back there it goes away? Have access to lighted bore-cam? Might be something in the cavity where the window roof and shade retract into?

PunkST

2000 Post Club
I have a loose change sounding rattke feom inside my shifter area. Looks like ill be digging to find the culprit once it gets warmer out

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I have a loose change sounding rattke feom inside my shifter area. Looks like ill be digging to find the culprit once it gets warmer out
Quit being a Muppet and get it done in the cold! Just close the doors and use your own body heat!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dhminer

2000 Post Club
If you press on a spot back there it goes away? Have access to lighted bore-cam? Might be something in the cavity where the window roof and shade retract into?
It does. No bore cam at the moment, but seems like a good excuse to go get a new toy. Will update if I find anything meaningful. Appreciate the suggestions!

I solved a rattle today, actually, many percieved rattles. The last week or 2 my front right sounded like a bad sway bar link. 55k miles. Turned out to be the coolant overflow reservoir bouncing off the body. This rattle presented itself as 3 or 4 different rattles over different surfaces. Not sure why it suddenly got worse, besides the cold. Fix was a 3M taped rubber "shim". I hate ghetto fixes... but it's a daily, even in snow so... oh also the horn was rattling. That bracket is flimsy as f. 20191127_164018.jpg

2016 Ford Fiesta ST. I had the front & rear brake pads & rotors replaced at about 48,000 miles. Today I’m at 49,600 and started to hear a squeaking noise kind of like a strut starting to go bad when going over bumps. But later narrowed it down to the passenger side motor mount. A lot of play in it causing the squeaking type noises. I ordered an OEM replacement today. Will have installed once it arrives. I did see a Turbo tech passenger side motor mount for around $199. Maybe I’ll switch to these when the new mount goes bad ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just found out apparently Mazda recommends dry teflon lube for plastic friction squeaks. With ambients in the teens, can't wait to try it tomorrow! Also considering graphite lube since the plastic is grey anyway, but since I dont want grey fingers...

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Got something like a thunk coming from what seems to be the front right of the car. When I start moving from a stop, or accelerate quickly I can hear it, and it seems to be getting worse. I suspect it's engine movement or drivetrain related. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Not much detail to work from. Rotational noise could be tires... rotate the tires to different corners and see whether the noise follows the tire.

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Got something like a thunk coming from what seems to be the front right of the car. When I start moving from a stop, or accelerate quickly I can hear it, and it seems to be getting worse. I suspect it's engine movement or drivetrain related. Any ideas?
Make sure your lug nuts are torqued. I had one that was a little loose a few months ago and it was audible

Hello, I’ve had my 2015 FiST for 4 days now (already 400 miles lol) and Im wondering if this is normal:

when the car hasn’t gotten to operating temperature yet, there is a “loud” turbo/induction noise when the turbo starts making boost. This happens for a few minutes until the engine is warm, and then it gets quiet. Is this normal?
(NO I dont floor it or go over 3k rpm, this happens even with the slightest engine load)

If needed I can try to post a video for it

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Hello, I’ve had my 2015 FiST for 4 days now (already 400 miles lol) and Im wondering if this is normal:

when the car hasn’t gotten to operating temperature yet, there is a “loud” turbo/induction noise when the turbo starts making boost. This happens for a few minutes until the engine is warm, and then it gets quiet. Is this normal?
(NO I dont floor it or go over 3k rpm, this happens even with the slightest engine load)

If needed I can try to post a video for it
Guessing that you're hearing the SymPOSER noise?
Check this thread for a quick, simple, zero risk and inexpensive solution...
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/intake-noise.17092/post-310311

Guessing that you're hearing the SymPOSER noise?
Check this thread for a quick, simple, zero risk and inexpensive solution...
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/intake-noise.17092/post-310311
After reading the thread, you’re right, its the sound symposer.... the video makes the same sound as me...

Weird how mine only does it when the engine is cold though...

Intuit

3000 Post Club
It's just intake noise. Timing is laxed on a cold engine. To achieve similar output it's working less efficiently... working harder.

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
I got a video here of that rattling sound, that today has caused me a lot of time and issues. Any ideas? I read a Reddit post that had a similar issue and claimed a new passenger motor mount fixed it. Maybe I'll give that a go. You can hear the rattling as the revs get higher and higher, about 3-4k revs.

Attachments

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Like the video of a video hehehe. More often than not, it's hard to tell the nature of a noise due to loss of sometimes subtle detail.

Questions:
1) Lightweight metal sound? (such as exhaust shield) Plasticy sound? (like something in glovebox)
2) Inside the cabin or outside the cabin?
3) Coming from behind or in front of you? (or left/right)
4) Any changes, such as engine mount, turbo, etc?
5) Not an engine sound, right?