Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

The Official Creak, Rattle and other noise complaint thread

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Like the video of a video hehehe. More often than not, it's hard to tell the nature of a noise due to loss of sometimes subtle detail.

Questions:
1) Lightweight metal sound? (such as exhaust shield) Plasticy sound? (like something in glovebox)
2) Inside the cabin or outside the cabin?
3) Coming from behind or in front of you? (or left/right)
4) Any changes, such as engine mount, turbo, etc?
5) Not an engine sound, right?
So the sound is definitely metallic, and sounds like it's coming from the passenger wheel well / engine bay area, definitely not in cabin. I've changed my RMM but I've had that for ages so I don't think it's that. Brought the car to another dealer who didn't just try and steal my money. Should hear back from them next week.

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Does the sound change when braking or putting weight on that corner, making a hard left?
Nope. The sound is completely reliant on the current revs. Braking doesn't seem to affect the sound. Once I get the rattling started, once I let off the gas and revs start to drop, the sound will go away. It's seems to only happen under load.

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Any loose exhaust parts?
It's possible. Only exhaust parts that have been changed is the catback. Everything else stock, and at 16,700 miles I feel like it's unlikely something's already broken from wear. I guess we'll find out when Ford gets back to me!

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Probably best to focus in on what parts were toouched during the indcution kit install, intercooler or pernaps lowering springs. Could be something as simple as a clamp that's come loose and rattling around.

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Probably best to focus in on what parts were toouched during the indcution kit install, intercooler or pernaps lowering springs. Could be something as simple as a clamp that's come loose and rattling around.
If the dealer somehow doesn't find the issue that's just what I'll do! Thank you

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Got the car back from the dealer and they said that the passenger side mount bolt was loose and they tightened it. That was a whole ordeal out of nothing.

Creaking from the aluminium rear diffuser when going over speed bumps and driveways...and sometimes just getting in and out of the vehicle. I lowered the diffuser all the way to the maximum settings in case the sounds were coming from the exhaust rubbing on it, and I lined the area around the exhaust with padded heat resistant tape. That didn't solve the issue. I tightened all the bolts holding the diffuser on....nope. The only thing I can think of is the rear anti-sway bar is rubbing on it, as there is only a millimeter of space between the two. Anyone?

Trapak

I've been driving my new 2020 Fiesta ST for a couple of months. I love the car, but there's an annoying noise which I can hear when the car is in motion. Listen the attached audio sample. The first 10 seconds is normal noise from the tires, but then you can hear it being overpowered by the annoying noise. I recorded the noise by using my mobile phone. I held it near the rear view mirror for the first 10 seconds. Then I moved it behind my head and that's when the noise becomes more clear. Hence I assume it comes from the rear. Is this something you've heard in your Fiestas?

Attachments

Trapak

No sunroof. The noise is related to the tires, because it becomes louder when I drive on the part of the asphalt which is more worn. I've also noticed that when I pull the hand brake the noise becomes a bit louder, but it quickly tones down due to the decreasing speed. I would assume the noise is caused by vibration through the rear shock absorbers or what ever. I don't know the technical lingo.

I have two sets of tires. Summer and winter tires. The same noise can be heard on both of them. Although I would say it's less obvious when driving with the summer tires, because they are more noisy in general.

Just switched from 17x7s to 15x8s wheels and tires. Brand new tires and wheels. Right side (70% sure it's the front) makes a flapping noise as if the tire needs air or is flat. Tire pressure is good. Needs alignment? Bad wheel bearing? Broken fan belt? I did jack the car up today before the noise was apperant. Car is basically brand new and it's really giving me a headache. Any ideas thanks.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Just switched from 17x7s to 15x8s wheels and tires. Brand new tires and wheels. Right side (70% sure it's the front) makes a flapping noise as if the tire needs air or is flat. Tire pressure is good. Needs alignment? Bad wheel bearing? Broken fan belt? I did jack the car up today before the noise was apperant. Car is basically brand new and it's really giving me a headache. Any ideas thanks.
Do you feel anything associated with this noise? An out of round tire would shake the car as well.

I think I'd retorque all the wheel nuts, check the tire pressures, look for anything loose.

Creaking from the aluminium rear diffuser when going over speed bumps and driveways...and sometimes just getting in and out of the vehicle. I lowered the diffuser all the way to the maximum settings in case the sounds were coming from the exhaust rubbing on it, and I lined the area around the exhaust with padded heat resistant tape. That didn't solve the issue. I tightened all the bolts holding the diffuser on....nope. The only thing I can think of is the rear anti-sway bar is rubbing on it, as there is only a millimeter of space between the two. Anyone?
Fixed the creaking and rubbing issue of the Versus rear diffuser. The mounting height was the culprit. I couldn't figure out the actual rubbing point (turns out it was on the rear anti-sway bar) until we actually took the rear anti-sway bar off. I didn't figure it out until then because they were so close together that it was impossible to see between them without doing that. Did that today with lots of help. The three bolts that mount the diffuser to the single bracket next to the anti-sway bar were clipping it badly going over speed bumps, driveways, or just leaving my garage. The clearance of the bracket and the sway bar are different when the car is on jacks as opposed to sitting on the ground.

The third bolt (closest to the passenger side) was just....gone. Our best guess is it completely sheared off at some point (red arrow). The other two bolts were still on tight....although I couldn't take them off with the Allen key, as they rubbed down so much that the hole was totally deformed. After we got those off, we pushed the diffuser as high as it would mount. Also, mounting the diffuser on the rear of the bracket, as opposed to the front of the bracket, in order to give just another mm or two extra clearance for the bolts to be away from the sway bar. Took it out for a test drive. Quiet as a quarantined church mouse. Thank God that's dealt with and over.

Sam4

Our cars are incredibly sensitive to road noise generated by tires. Check the Tire Rack "comfort performance" rating on various tires. I went with Bridgestone RE980 for low noise. Compare with Goodrich G Force Comp-2, you can't even hold a conversation!

Our cars are incredibly sensitive to road noise generated by tires. Check the Tire Rack "comfort performance" rating on various tires. I went with Bridgestone RE980 for low noise. Compare with Goodrich G Force Comp-2, you can't even hold a conversation!
Ok the noise eventually went away. I concluded that it was just my paranoia and the new tires were just "braking in". These are my first high performance summer tires. I went with Federal 595RS-RR. My fiST is already sorta loud, so noisy tires isn't really an issue for me. But the sound was very pronounced, rhythmitic, and only from one side so that's why I was worried. It will get alligned next week. Thanks!

My 2019 with 6,700 miles has within the last week started this consistent habit of a reasonably loud "rattle can" sound from around the center dash fan area within a second or two of startup. It tends to go away after half a minute or less. It happens whether the HVAC is totally off, on, on auto, AC on or off... Any ideas?