Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

The price of parts.

Old Mike Emerson

U.S. Navy Veteran
I bought this carb in 1978 for $100. Street - Holley now it is $682.95
I also bought this intake for $100 (note this the 3.8 intake, cannot find the one for the 3.2 at Summit) Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifolds 1978 CHEVROLET MONZA 3.8L/231 GM V6 - V6 Engine Type Parts & Accessories | Summit Racing $366.99
The price for everything goes up. It sucks. So, what do you guys do? Do you just not build? Do you try to buy used? Do you just say screw it go for broke?

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Prices go up with inflation. Budget, build within your means, and be happy with what you have. Comparison is the enemy of contentment. I'm blessed to be able to afford almost whatever I want but it took hard work, some luck, and a few blessings to get where I am. I used to have a hard time paying my rent ($500) now that $ amount is basically an impulse purchase for me. Not bragging whatsoever. Others are far better off, others are far worse off. I'm thankful for what I have and also what I can give.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I like cars but I have way more important things in my life that need my attention. 5 years of ownership and I have not done near what I had originally planned. Can I afford it yes but I can't justify it.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

haste

1000 Post Club
I feel lucky I got the majority of my mods completed before all the prices went crazy. I just looked and saw the Fortune Auto 500 coilovers with the Swift/Hyperco spring option are $250 more than I paid for them less than a year ago...

I still want an S280 though and depending on how things go in the next couple months I may be pulling the trigger.

Bull Run

U.S. Army Veteran
I'm fortunate to have three of the largest price increases under control; owning a house that hedges against rent increases, my employer extending remote work for a few more month and thus saving on gas (not that Fiesta uses much in the first place), minimal impact from increasing food prices due to my wife and daughter being petite and thus don't eat much (my wife's also frugal and always shops specials in grocery stores). Additionally, we scaled back on our travels due to COVID, so, if anything, monthly cash flow actually increased.

Thus my mods are going as planned.

Bull Run

U.S. Army Veteran
Prices go up with inflation. Budget, build within your means, and be happy with what you have. Comparison is the enemy of contentment. I'm blessed to be able to afford almost whatever I want but it took hard work, some luck, and a few blessings to get where I am. I used to have a hard time paying my rent ($500) now that $ amount is basically an impulse purchase for me. Not bragging whatsoever. Others are far better off, others are far worse off. I'm thankful for what I have and also what I can give.
Great to hear that, brother! I grew up poor so definitely know the feeling of just getting by.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I like cars but I have way more important things in my life that need my attention. 5 years of ownership and I have not done near what I had originally planned. Can I afford it yes but I can't justify it.

Same basic attitude, (save for wheels/tires maybe LOL), but I simply cannot afford to do to this car what so many others on here do without blinking (i.e.; BT kits, change exhaust/down pipes/intakes/BOVs, etc., like I change socks, and then remove and sell everything when they dump the car out of boredom, or 'jadedness').

At this point, I do not even think I would be fully satisfied over the current stock mode of this car unless I was driving a street version of an R5 rally Fiesta anyway (which could not be a possibility even IF 'wealthy', so why bother?).

I'd rather use that coin to buy a gravel/rough road type bicycle, once I pay this thing off and have that extra $300 a month, to get myself (more) fit in my old age. [wink]

Last edited:

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Same basic attitude, (save for wheels/tires maybe LOL), but I simply cannot afford to do to this car what so many others on here do without blinking (i.e.; BT kits, change exhaust/down pipes/intakes/BOVs, etc., like I change socks, and then remove and sell everything when they dump the car out of boredom, or 'jadedness').

At this point, I do not even think I would be fully satisfied over the current stock mode of this car unless I was driving a street version of an R5 rally Fiesta anyway (which could not be a possibility even IF 'wealthy', so why bother?).

I'd rather use that coin to buy a gravel/rough road type bicycle, once I pay this thing off and have that extra $300 a month, to get myself (more) fit in my old age. [wink]
How many times have you seen someone say I have to wait till my next paycheck. There are some people that will max out credit cards for modifications. Then you have people like me who feel guilty by buying a cup of coffee at a gas station. I am not cheap I typically by the best, or very close to it. Being broke is one of my biggest fears, so I have a different mindset than many. Life happens and hard work can be destroyed very fast. With that said one should try and hope that hard work will pay off.

Never compare yourself to others people that do are typically miserable and broke.

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Maybe I should have mentioned what my parents told me and stood by when I was growing up. Never buy anything unless you can pay cash for it! I would never get into debt buying add-on's for my car if I couldn't afford to pay cash. No debt is so satisfying.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I was saying this too a friend today , I grew up middle class to upper middle class. I knew what it was like to be poor as an adult though. I am fortunate to have had successes and learned from being poor as well. Today I am in a good place and can afford whatever I do too my car. It would not get done i’d I could not afford it. Though I buy things accordingly and on budgets that I hold myself too.

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Well said. If only every one felt the same way, they wouldn't have the debt problems that they have now. When I left home at 17 and went to a large city as a police cadet back in the mid 60's, I was earning the equivalent of less than 2 pounds sterling per week and out of that, 80% went for my lodging! Gradually things improved when I became a cop and even better when I joined the military. My philosophy in life is, "No matter how bad things get, they ALWAYS get better". That's why I'm in the position I am today with no debt apart from the basics, utilities, food and gas.

I came to this Country with borrowed $200 bucks from my friend 20 yrs ago.I returned to India after 6 yrs and 1st thing i did was meet him and give him the money i borrowed from him.Been a Beautifull Ride so far.From living in a 220 Sf room,My Dad/Mom/Sis to a 4200 Sf house over Here.I am still Cheap when it comes to me buying stuff for Myself.But will buy anything for the Family.But yes everything is more Expensive then before.

Bull Run

U.S. Army Veteran
How many times have you seen someone say I have to wait till my next paycheck. There are some people that will max out credit cards for modifications. Then you have people like me who feel guilty by buying a cup of coffee at a gas station. I am not cheap I typically by the best, or very close to it. Being broke is one of my biggest fears, so I have a different mindset than many. Life happens and hard work can be destroyed very fast. With that said one should try and hope that hard work will pay off.

Never compare yourself to others people that do are typically miserable and broke.

Wise words indeed but sadly, many Americans are addicted to instant gratification, keeping up with the Joneses, and the debt that goes along with them. Believe it or not, below is an actual screenshot from a discussion on Facebook.

1643054152466.jpeg

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account

I see this and hear this all to often.....I say go out and get a PT job 12-16 hrs a week. There are so many people who aren't willing to work hard for their wants and want them just handed to them on a silver platter. I've worked a FT job and a PT job for alot of my life as I say....." I'd rather be getting paid while I'm awake as you can't work physically in your sleep". I like being able to pay for my mods and can't stand racking up credit card bills and not paying them off ASAP. Credit card companies hate me as I pay mine off every month....I can't even remember the last time I took cash out of an ATM or used my bank card anywhere....id rather use someone else's money....if anyone steals my account number....I don't care....Its not my money they have high priced lawyers and ruthless people to get their money back if it's stolen if they so incline. Me....I just say.....Nope I didn't buy those bus tickets to Charlotte ...go to Gucci.....Fendi and tickets to Jayz And was nowhere near Carolina yesterday.....Goodluck!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I see this and hear this all to often.....I say go out and get a PT job 12-16 hrs a week. There are so many people who aren't willing to work hard for their wants and want them just handed to them on a silver platter. I've worked a FT job and a PT job for alot of my life as I say....." I'd rather be getting paid while I'm awake as you can't work physically in your sleep". I like being able to pay for my mods and can't stand racking up credit card bills and not paying them off ASAP. Credit card companies hate me as I pay mine off every month....I can't even remember the last time I took cash out of an ATM or used my bank card anywhere....id rather use someone else's money....if anyone steals my account number....I don't care....Its not my money they have high priced lawyers and ruthless people to get their money back if it's stolen if they so incline. Me....I just say.....Nope I didn't buy those bus tickets to Charlotte ...go to Gucci.....Fendi and tickets to Jayz And was nowhere near Carolina yesterday.....Goodluck!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
If that is what you want to do that is cool, but that is not what my post was about.

I prefer doing without and having a better work life balance. Wife, parents, dogs and many other things like gardening are more important than a extra job. Growing my own food is very important to me. One job is good enough. I have a wife who works full time and no kids. You do you and I will do me.

Last edited:

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
If that is what you want to do that is cool, but that is not what my post was about.

I prefer doing without and having a better work life balance. Wife, parents, dogs and many other things like gardening are more important than a extra job. Growing my own food is very important to me. One job is good enough. I have a wife who works full time and no kids. You do you and I will do me.

Was agreeing with you about your statement* about maxing cards out and people saying next paycheck*

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I know. Just saying I am not into working your life away. I respect the work ethic you have.

Amen. Work blows. I aim to do as little of it as required althpugh I often fail at that and work too much. Never seen “great employee” on a tombstone.