Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

There's a petition to bring the Toyota Yaris GR to North America

Dpro

6000 Post Club
They're not bringing it over, but a petition and expressed interest isn't hurting anything.

GT86 numbers are probably low because it's long in the tooth, and pretty bare bones on tech. (Not to mention that turd of an engine.)
I know they are not bringing it over. Lol that is what my post basically said. The Petition is basically a waste of time and getting some people into false hopes. That is in a way hurting as people will get let down.

GT86 numbers were never up even when it was the Scion FRS. The car has been a fail from the get go due to Suburu telling Toyota no we cannot put a 250hp engine with good torque in the car because that would affect WRX sales lol. Maybe not those words but that is the gist of the truth.

It was never meant to be big on Tech it was meant to be a spiritual successor to the Corolla AE86 which alongside the 180sx/240sx S13 was one of the two premier drift cars in the world. Its a brilliant chassis that failed due to it being a joint venture and like I said above the Suburu bad engine choice factor out of fear.

Very much like the U.S. S13 240sx which had a chassis that could handle a 250hp engine easily and came with a 1.8 liter and 2.0 liter turbocharged engines in Japan that put out over 200hp and close to 200ft lbs torque.
Yet the American version had a long stroke low revving 2.4 liter that had 150hp and 145 lbs of tq. Lol

Nissan looked at the failing sales figures of the BRZ/FRS aka GT86 and said screw that we are not taking a chance on the IDX even though on a promotion run of the concept which traveled all over the United States it met with a overwhelming response.

These are all automotive facts.

Last edited:
I know they are not bringing it over. Lol that is what my post basically said. The Petition is basically a waste of time and getting some people into false hopes. That is in a way hurting as people will get let down.

GT86 numbers were never up even when it was the Scion FRS. The car has been a fail from the get go due to Suburu telling Toyota no we cannot put a 250hp engine with good torque in the car because that would affect WRX sales lol. Maybe not those words but that is the gist of the truth.

It was never meant to be big on Tech it was meant to be a spiritual successor to the Corolla AE86 which alongside the 180sx/240sx S13 was one of the two premier drift cars in the world. Its a brilliant chassis that failed due to it being a joint venture and like I said above the Suburu bad engine choice factor out of fear.

Very much like the U.S. S13 240sx which had a chassis that could handle a 250hp engine easily and came with a 1.8 liter and 2.0 liter turbocharged engines in Japan that put out over 200hp and close to 200ft lbs torque.
Yet the American version had a long stroke low revving 2.4 liter that had 150hp and 145 lbs of tq. Lol

Nissan looked at the failing sales figures of the BRZ/FRS aka GT86 and said screw that we are not taking a chance on the IDX even though on a promotion run of the concept which traveled all over the United States it met with a overwhelming response.

These are all automotive facts.
I know that you know that they're not bringing it over. I was just reiterating your sentiments. Agree to disagree on the petition, though. Whether people's hopes get dashed or not is a good deal up to them, as people. Some will sign and forget days later.

Also, I agree that the 86 platform was never meant to be stuffed with a lot of tech, but today's kids love tech. Cell phones, LCD screens, ride modes, drift button, traction control modes, etc etc. So, I was alluding to the fact that if you want a sporty car having those goodies helps more than not, and I dare say people would even pay extra for them.

Everything else I agree with. Except it the FR-S actually sold alright for the first couple of years. BRZ has never sold brilliantly, same for US GT86.

http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/toyota/scion-fr-s/

I really like my FiST but I'd first in line to trade it for a GR Yaris. Of course I won't have that option since it won't come to the US but I did put my name on the petition. One can dream...

I'd actually buy this because:
A) My circumstances have changed and I can afford a more expensive car than a FiST
B) I really miss the AWD of the '14 WRX hatch I used to have while driving in AK winters
C)The WRX hatch blew its motor at 30k miles (bone stock, got out from under it before the class action settlement)
D) I'm not a breeder and a two door is all I need (it's nice to be able to give more than one person a ride, but I also want back passengers to suffer so they don't make a habit of riding with me)

Wish there would be a petition to bring the new FiST to the US. On the other hand, this country might be hesistant with the 3 cylinder even though its pretty good.

CSM

1000 Post Club
And the Yaris GR is definitely one of the better looking hot hatches (at least on paper). But I read they are going to start at $36k USD equivalent over in Japan. Thats too steep. Ouch

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'd roll 36k at that AWD pocket Rocket...

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
So for anyone still following, I have heard two reputable sources (on various automotive podcasts) that have worked for/with Toyota in the past hint that Toyota may bring the Yaris GR drivetrain to the USA in a Corolla hatchback. Could be a very exciting next couple of years.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
So for anyone still following, I have heard two reputable sources (on various automotive podcasts) that have worked for/with Toyota in the past hint that Toyota may bring the Yaris GR drivetrain to the USA in a Corolla hatchback. Could be a very exciting next couple of years.
Why would you say such a thing? You got me all riled up now and salivating!