Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

This bumper was painted in November...

Just want to to show how badly chipped my front bumper is.. Was repainted due to paint falling off in November, and this it how it looks now.

I do not tailgate cars, but i have been on some driveouts and prolly gotten most of the chips from that..

This is just a warning to everyone that consider a repaint or a clearfoil, i can't describe how much i regret not paying for a clearfoil....
View attachment IMG_20200322_223549.jpg

Attachments

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Its not that bad...I thought paint was falling off in patches with what you were describing. Welcome to awesome ferd paint and shitty auto body shops who don't care to do it right! If it makes you feel better mine is chipped up also!

OP
F
Thread Starter #3
Its not that bad...I thought paint was falling off in patches with what you were describing. Welcome to awesome ferd paint and shitty auto body shops who don't care to do it right! If it makes you feel better mine is chipped up also!
Well my point was that the bumper was repainted in November (waranty on badly done job) And now just 5-6 months after it look worse then it did back then.

The quality of the paint is the worst i have ever seen considering how easy it gets chipped.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Yeah I understand....Tell me about it. When you are paying out of pocket they want to impress you ...but when its a warranty or insurance job they want that thing done and out even though a lot of their business relies on Insurance work. Funny I know...

xxiaze

This is still a thing of beauty! I completely understand the desire for perfection though. For what it’s worth mines rusting and the bumper in front looks like a mine field lol. Gorgeous mate. Ever consider a front bra?

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I wonder if the chipping is paint color related. My 2016 is White Platinum and has a single 1/8 x 1/8 chip and it happened in the first year. Could be the tri-coat paints are less fragile or more elastic. Before I bought mine in '16 there was already posts about chipping paint. Would be interesting to run a survey based on color. I am surprised that I don't have more than 1 chip.

OP
F
Thread Starter #7
This was the bumper before it got painted. When compare the pictures, it seems that the stonemarks are now grey, maybe they changed the primer colour or somewhat. Just find it strange that stonemarks wasnt so visible before the repaint.

Attachments

OP
F
Thread Starter #8
I wonder if the chipping is paint color related. My 2016 is White Platinum and has a single 1/8 x 1/8 chip and it happened in the first year. Could be the tri-coat paints are less fragile or more elastic. Before I bought mine in '16 there was already posts about chipping paint. Would be interesting to run a survey based on color. I am surprised that I don't have more than 1 chip.
Molten Orange is a tri-coat according to the painter.

OP
F
Thread Starter #9
This is still a thing of beauty! I completely understand the desire for perfection though. For what it’s worth mines rusting and the bumper in front looks like a mine field lol. Gorgeous mate. Ever consider a front bra?
Yeah well, i considered clear foil when it was resprayed, but after 3-4 days after getting it back it already have gotten like 5+ chips.. and the foil is almost the same cost as a full repaint in Norway.

But i regret it, would have been costwise to just put it on, but i was told i had to wait a few weeks because it was repainted and it those weeks more chips made their mark... :(

xxiaze

Yeah well, i considered clear foil when it was resprayed, but after 3-4 days after getting it back it already have gotten like 5+ chips.. and the foil is almost the same cost as a full repaint in Norway.

But i regret it, would have been costwise to just put it on, but i was told i had to wait a few weeks because it was repainted and it those weeks more chips made their mark... :(
It’s a serious burden trying to keep a vehicle pristine. I can’t imagine what it feels like to own a Lamborghini.... Good on you for doing your best part though. Bound to happen regardless of our efforts. I’m always using touch up paint on the front of my car bumper and hood. Doesn’t make it perfect but it certainly helps.

You have to understand that there are Good Body Shops and there are Cheap Body Shops but there are ZERO Good and Cheap body shops. Now guess who your Ford dealer is going to use to do a Warranty Re-Paint? Yeah, they have it done at a cheap body shop, might even send it to Earl Sheib. What you are seeing is paint that was cheap to purchase, applied with too much hardener to speed up the drying time and the result is that it's too brittle and chips easly. Wait another year or 2 and you'll start seeing cracks in the paint an any location where that front fascia is flexed by wind loads or vibration from potholes.

OP
F
Thread Starter #13
You have to understand that there are Good Body Shops and there are Cheap Body Shops but there are ZERO Good and Cheap body shops. Now guess who your Ford dealer is going to use to do a Warranty Re-Paint? Yeah, they have it done at a cheap body shop, might even send it to Earl Sheib. What you are seeing is paint that was cheap to purchase, applied with too much hardener to speed up the drying time and the result is that it's too brittle and chips easly. Wait another year or 2 and you'll start seeing cracks in the paint an any location where that front fascia is flexed by wind loads or vibration from potholes.
Well, hard for me to do anything or try to change the paint shop that Ford use. Are you saying the the first paint was done with to much hardener (last picture in this tread) or the first pictures?

Unfortunately the before picture you posted just isn't clear enough to specifically identify the cause. BTW, with that color I don't think that any picture will be adequate, it's something that has to be examined first hand.

It's only a hunch but my impression is that this initial failure may be damage caused by stone chips, perhaps from a gravel road or perhaps from something left on a highway by construction trucks. It also could be that an "environmentally friendly" paint was used that just isn't very good. I'll also note that here in the US they lay a lot of salt down on the roads in the winter and your current chipping may be damage from road salt. Even if you don't follow folks too close you can still get salt or gravel chipping from debris on a 2 lane road thrown up by cars driving in the opposite direction.

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
So you whine on a Forum? That's my point.

We ain't doing shit to make it better. Did you want me to call the shop for you?

Consider yourself lucky. The paint is not peeling off. I am looking at replacement of the front doors because rust is bubbling out of the panel seams where the outer skins wrap over the door frame. This on a car never driven in winter and road salt! So, count your blessings.

I will be happy to provide you non sexual love and emotional support in exchange for some Wisconsin cheese and a case of Old Milwaukee beer!