Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Three aftermarket exhaust questions!?

If one installs just the Cobb Ford Fiesta ST 2.5" Stainless Steel Dual Tip Cat-Back Exhaust and not the Ford Fiesta ST Catted Downpipe will you still get an awesome throaty sounding exhaust? Does adding the Ford Fiesta ST Catted Downpipe change the sound much at all or more performance oriented? Lastly are there any aftermarket exhaust that will actually pass California emissions? Thanks guys!

razorlab

1000 Post Club
If one installs just the Cobb Ford Fiesta ST 2.5" Stainless Steel Dual Tip Cat-Back Exhaust and not the Ford Fiesta ST Catted Downpipe will you still get an awesome throaty sounding exhaust? Does adding the Ford Fiesta ST Catted Downpipe change the sound much at all or more performance oriented? Lastly are there any aftermarket exhaust that will actually pass California emissions? Thanks guys!
Every single catback exhaust will pass California emissions. Every single catted and non catted downpipe will NOT pass California Emissions.

btw, you don't have to smog your FiST in California until six years from purchase*. So basically, you don't have to smog the car until 2020*.

*Unless you get busted by a police officer and they see you are running non-smog exempt parts, and they send you to BAR.

OP
K
Thread Starter #3
Every single catback exhaust will pass California emissions. Every single catted and non catted downpipe will NOT pass California Emissions.

btw, you don't have to smog your FiST in California until six years from purchase*. So basically, you don't have to smog the car until 2020*.

*Unless you get busted by a police officer and they see you are running non-smog exempt parts, and they send you to BAR.

So let me get this straight? If I were to only put on the Cobb Cat-back exhaust system, it would pass emissions however if I add the Cobb catted downpipe that is when it would fail? Also do you know about the sound difference?

JPGC

2000 Post Club
So let me get this straight? If I were to only put on the Cobb Cat-back exhaust system, it would pass emissions however if I add the Cobb catted downpipe that is when it would fail? Also do you know about the sound difference?
I'm not going to say that a catback won't cause you to fail emissions or other issues because I'm not going to be the one you blame if it somehow did, lol. What I will say is that with the STOCK cat/ downpipe, an aftermarket catback shouldn't cause you to fail emissions. Also, it will be louder, but not as loud as a race downpipe or high flow catted downpipe.

Cobb says there turbo back system will pass SMOG but it is not CARB legal in California.

koozy

3000 Post Club
Cobb says there turbo back system will pass SMOG but it is not CARB legal in California.
I would consider a turbo back system that does not throw a check engine light doable to pass smog, which yet has to be proven by someone. However Cobb's turbo back exhaust will throw check engine light as some users have attested to unless it's a running a stage 3 OTS tune, which eliminates that light.

OP
K
Thread Starter #7
So just the cat back exhaust no down pipe by cobb will the check engine light go on?

I would consider a turbo back system that does not throw a check engine light doable to pass smog, which yet has to be proven by someone. However Cobb's turbo back exhaust will throw check engine light as some users have attested to unless it's a running a stage 3 OTS tune, which eliminates that light.
I think any aftermarket downpipe would cause a CEL which is why you have to have a tune for a downpipe. If im not mistaken?

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
In California, aftermarket mufflers and exhaust systems can not exceed a 95 dB noise limit. The measurement must be taken 20 inches from the exhaust pipe with the engine between 3,000 and 5,000 rpm in neutral (no load)... and yes they test for this....

And this is CA's view on aftermarket CATs...

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermktcat/aftermktcat.htm

And as mentioned earlier you have up to 6 years after purchase of a new vehicle for mandatory visual and emissions testing....(which is plenty of time for me given I normally don't keep a new car for longer than 4 years)...

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I'm thinking about just getting the exhaust too for now and doing the downpipe later. And when I do get the downpipe Randy said he can do a map that gets rid of the cel light it throws.

OP
K
Thread Starter #15
I'm thinking about just getting the exhaust too for now and doing the downpipe later. And when I do get the downpipe Randy said he can do a map that gets rid of the cel light it throws.
Yeah my plan now knowing all this stuff is. Accessport, intake(when it comes), FMIC, and just the catback exhaust not downpipe so I don't have to worry about California legality stuff. Then get a Freaktune based on the cobb stuff I added.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Yup...They don't need to generate a map to do it, they just simply check a box within the tuning software which prevents triggering of a CAT fail code....btw...even with a high flow cat installed (such as Cobb's) I'm guessing they are still disabled...

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Yup...They don't generate a map, they just simply check a box within the tuning software which prevents triggering of a CAT fail code....btw...even with a high flow cat installed (such as Cobb's) I'm guessing they are still disabled...
Yeah my plan now knowing all this stuff is. Accessport, intake(when it comes), FMIC, and just the catback exhaust not downpipe so I don't have to worry about California legality stuff. Then get a Freaktune based on the cobb stuff I added.
My exact plan but getting the exhaust before the intercooler. I heard the stock one is fine for daily driving which is all I'll be doing. And I'm getting a tune based off my mods from Randy, from Mountune.

And yeah that's what Randy told. He just has to check the box when I let him know.

OP
K
Thread Starter #18
My exact plan but getting the exhaust before the intercooler. I heard the stock one is fine for daily driving which is all I'll be doing. And I'm getting a tune based off my mods from Randy, from Mountune.

And yeah that's what Randy told. He just has to check the box when I let him know.
I know this is off topic and probably already been answered but how much does randy charge for a custom map?

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
That's what I thought..originally you said he was going to need to generate an entire "map" to do so...its not that difficult ;)
I know this is off topic and probably already been answered but how much does randy charge for a custom map?
Yeah that's what I meant. I misspoke.

And all you had to do was purchase the AP through Mountune and you get his services for maps. Same thing as Freektune I thing.