Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ticking Knocking Noise from the Engine

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
These motors are basically diesel engines with gas in the tank. Even "quiet diesel engines" are loud, our engines are no exception.

...The noise is still the same. Thank you Meagan for that number but they don?t know an answer and Ford don?t really help. My dealership also says that Ford has no information about that problem...
Have you considered heading to another dealer for a second opinion? They'll be in the best position to assist.

They didn't hear it unfortunately
I want to loop in your customer service manager on this. Please send me a PM with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

Mine makes a knocking sound in neutral while idling, not sure if this is the same sound you guys are talking about. My car has 20 miles on it.

Mine makes a knocking sound in neutral while idling, not sure if this is the same sound you guys are talking about. My car has 20 miles on it.
Hi Cesso,

There's actually a break-in period of 1,000 miles, where the engine will exhibit unique characteristics. I recommend taking a nice long drive to work through the break-in and get used to the vehicle. Got any holiday road trips planned? If the symptoms stick around after the break-in, heading to your dealer for a diagnosis will be the next step. They'll be able to determine if it's a normal characteristic of the ST. I'll also be happy to send this up the line to your customer service manager once you've spoken with your dealer. :)

Meagan

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I took mine to the tail of the dragon for break in. The best car EVER stock on the dragon. Roads around the dragon, not so much, it needs more power. But on the dragon its self, its a master piece.

Thank you for the help Meagan, I did some further reading and came to that same conclusion. I actually work for a Ford dealer so I'm well taken care of there already!

Thank you for the help Meagan, I did some further reading and came to that same conclusion. I actually work for a Ford dealer so I'm well taken care of there already!
Oh, perfect! Well, if you ever need any additional assistance with a question or a concern, you know where to find me. :)

Meagan

Oh, perfect! :D Well, if you ever need any additional assistance with a question or a concern, you know where to find me. :)

Meagan

OP
C
Thread Starter #29
Any news about the noise ? Got a phone call from my dealership. Ford Germany wants my engine. They now have four reported cars with that sound and they want all four engines. I don?t want to get my engine out of my car. The car is brand new, and I decided to live with that noise because the car runs extremely well !! I don?t think that the engine is the problem. When the drive belt is removed the noise is gone ! They can have my car and give me a new one, but not the engine.

I don?t think that the engine is the problem.
Well, since they kind of made your car, they probably know better whether to be concerned or not :) Why would it be a problem to let them take your current engine? Presumably they will put in a new one instead, no?

me32

1000 Post Club
Well, since they kind of made your car, they probably know better whether to be concerned or not :) Why would it be a problem to let them take your current engine? Presumably they will put in a new one instead, no?
I would like to know too

OP
C
Thread Starter #32
They don?t offer us a brand new engine. It?s just an exchange engine (rebuilt). And I don?t know what problems the "new" one will make. I am pretty sure that the engine alone is not the problem. I don?t want to have my brand new car every few weeks at the dealership. We changed some parts with no effect. The car runs well ! I don?t care about the noise anymore.

They don?t offer us a brand new engine. It?s just an exchange engine (rebuilt). And I don?t know what problems the "new" one will make. I am pretty sure that the engine alone is not the problem. I don?t want to have my brand new car every few weeks at the dealership. We changed some parts with no effect. The car runs well ! I don?t care about the noise anymore.
Have you been in contact with Ford Germany directly? Here are the numbers to their Customer Relationship Center:
Telephone Number +49 (0) 221 903 3333
One Call - Local Number 0221 9999 2999

Meagan

CK1

Hi to all, I have just purchased my new ST and I'm experiencing the same "ticking" noise too. I was looking in the web where I found several hints with the same problem (?) and I was wondering if we have any updates on this issue? Is this normal? (because it doesn't sound like). Many thanks in advance.

the ticking is the direct injection that you hear. As for the knocking noise not sure about what that is....

Bought a FiST a few days ago. Got about 300 miles on it now and noticed today a slight knocking sound after parking in the garage. Sounds similar to a sticking or not completely pumped up hydraulic lifter. Definitley not the injector tapping sound.

Other than that the car runs great. Was a hot 90F day and the 5W20 factory fill was probably like water [confused]. I'll change the oil after a few more break in miles on her and see what happens.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Bought a FiST a few days ago. Got about 300 miles on it now and noticed today a slight knocking sound after parking in the garage. Sounds similar to a sticking or not completely pumped up hydraulic lifter. Definitley not the injector tapping sound.

Other than that the car runs great. Was a hot 90F day and the 5W20 factory fill was probably like water [confused]. I'll change the oil after a few more break in miles on her and see what happens.

It sounds like the DI injector noise might be what you are hearing.. First direct injection car I owned made my crazy till I found out the high pressure that the injectors run at makes it sound just like you say a sticky lifter. To check it go out to the car after its cooled down and open the hood and pop the hood open and if you want take the plastic engine dress up cover off. Start the engine and with it in neutral and parking brake set get out and listen under the hood to see if you hear the tick tick tick of the Direct injectors .

Congrats on your new ST, Evotech8! :) Have you had a chance to swing by your Ford Dealership to let one of our certified techs take a look at your concern? Shoot me a PM with your name, VIN, dealer, and best daytime phone number, and I'll look further into this and see how I can help.

Nick

GAbOS

Go ahead and do your yootoob noise search on as many brands of cars as you have time for and you will find the same noise. Just sayin...
I found this thread because I had to know as well, because peace of mind.

I traded in a 2010 Ralliart with the 4B11T and it ticked and tocked it's whole life with me to 61k and never saw a dealer for any issue.

Hi, first post for me on this forum I signed up after searching Google and finding this page to say my 2015 fiesta st is making the exact same clacking/knocking noise at idle after warmed up its def not the normal DI noise. the car is only 3 weeks old with 2200km on it and it has been making the noise since the first day it was driven off the lot seems to run good and everything but have it booked in for the dealer to look at because the noise annoys me, it sounds like a 20 year old car with 400,000km on it so if they find anything ill post the info.