Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Tire time suggestions please 304whp car

Woods247

2000 Post Club
I ran the old Azenis 215, 615, and 615K in my C-Stock Autocross Miata days, but not the 615K+. I remember the 615 and 615k being more consistent a tire than the 215s, especially with regards to temp management and not overheating. It was a pretty predictable tire, easy to drive.

I admit I haven't ran the 615K+ on any car including my Fiesta. I have heard they are actually a pretty decent tire for street and occasional track due to its ability to handle heat fairly well, seems they dont grease up after a few hot laps like the RT660 or RE71R. I admit this is just from conversations w/ locals.
I ran 45 min sessions at Road Atlanta a few weeks ago and they didn't grease at all while running at moderate pace. The + is way better than its predecessor. I just wish it was 8" wide like the RT660 instead of 7.5".They're a great endurance tire if you ever find yourself looking for one. The RT660 is certainly better for TT and maybe AutoX. I like them a lot too. The new A052 is my next 200tw tire. They seem to be really good with heat/endurance as well.

All that said, I think Jeff would enjoy the RT615K+ or the Direzza. Both can handle the torque from our X47 turbos, so he really wouldn't go wrong either. I'm just not sure the expense over the 595RSR is worth it. The 595RSR is a great inexpensive street tire. I bag on Federal all the time but it's hard to beat the performance/value of the RSR.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #22
I ran 45 min sessions at Road Atlanta a few weeks ago and they didn't grease at all while running at moderate pace. The + is way better than its predecessor. I just wish it was 8" wide like the RT660 instead of 7.5".They're a great endurance tire if you ever find yourself looking for one. The RT660 is certainly better for TT and maybe AutoX. I like them a lot too. The new A052 is my next 200tw tire. They seem to be really good with heat/endurance as well.

All that said, I think Jeff would enjoy the RT615K+ or the Direzza. Both can handle the torque from our X47 turbos, so he really wouldn't go wrong either. I'm just not sure the expense over the 595RSR is worth it. The 595RSR is a great inexpensive street tire. I bag on Federal all the time but it's hard to beat the performance/value of the RSR.
I see you ran some RS-PROs on another thread. How do they compare to the RS-R in terms of straight line traction? Are they noticeably wider or less wide on the rim?

Woods247

2000 Post Club
I see you ran some RS-PROs on another thread. How do they compare to the RS-R in terms of straight line traction? Are they noticeably wider or less wide on the rim?
They're great and grip really well, but they need heat. I can't recommend them for street, although my buddy that bought them from me raved about them. He's an AutoX and mountain run guy with a MRX. He doesnt have anywhere near the torque we have. They'll spin when cold.

They're right at 8" wide and likely close to your RSR. I posted a pic of the RT615K+, RT660, RS Pro and Indy 500 side by side somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.. I just wasn't a fan of the softer sidewall and buzzy noise. I think the flexy soft issues I experienced were totally my fault for not running high enough air pressures. The buzz isn't RSRR bad, but I'm sensitive to noises and it bothered me. In my opinion, the RSR is better suited for street because it doesn't need a lot heat to grip. The RT615K+ is the same. It always has grip, but it is narrow when compared to most of today's 215s.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #25
They're right at 8" wide and likely close to your RSR.
Thanks for the info and pics. I value your opinion since we have a similar setup and you've tried out so many tires. The RS Pro is about the same section width as the RS-R so it would look about the same on my rims. However they have .5" more tread width which is significant. But based on your review they don't do well in cold temps so it doesn't sound like a good all season tire for street use. I've used the RS-Rs exclusively year-round here in Georgia and have had zero issues in cold weather.

I added the RS Pro to my data, below, for comparison.

TIRE - PRICE - WEIGHT - SECTION WIDTH - TREAD WIDTH
Federal 595RSR - $103 - 22lb - 8.7" - 7.5"
Federal RS Pro - $113 - 21.8lb - 8.6" - 8.0"
Nitto Neo Geo - $105 - 20.9lb - 8.86" - ??
Falken Azenis RT660 - $150 - 22lb - 8.7" - 7.9"
Dunlop Direzza ZIII - $164 - 20lb - 8.1" - 7.8"
Falken RTK 615+ - $115 - 20lb - 8.7" - 7.2"
Kumho Ecsta PS31 - $88 - 19lb - 8.6" - 7.2"

Business6

Regarding the Indy 500s I'm becoming less enthusiastic about their wet grip to the point where i wouldn't really suggest them for highway-heavy driving. Slowing down from speed in the wet is not confidence inspiring in the slightest and I'm not even talking about being aggressive. I feel like they would perform terribly on a wet autocross course. The dry grip, for the price point, is very good, however.

I'm on my second set of Indy's (stock size and currently 205/50/16) and I don't see myself getting another.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Someone on here was selling a set of 17x8 Hypergrams with 215/40-17 Neo Gens on them and they appeared to be SUPER wide in tread width, like MUCH wider than my same size RS-RRs (which are supposedly 7.7" tread width) on 17x8 1.2s.

As you've discovered, Nitto refuses to publish tread widths at all, or even give them to you when you call up their tech department, and since Tire Rack does not, or cannot carry them, we don't have them as a source for tread width as we do for all of the other manufacturers who just cannot be bothered with giving their tread widths. [:(]

I have 205/50-16 Neo Gens on my Dekagrams and on the factory suspension, they rub on hard braking/tight low speed turns while braking, so they do tend to run wide in any given size in both tread and section width (they don't even look stretched at all on an 8" wide wheel, in fact, they almost appear to be 'sucked in' at the sidewall!!).

They are fairly grippy, but then again, I am still on the factory snail, and tune, so that will not apply for you.

BTW; Yokohama dropped that 225/35-17 size with the new, Fleva replacements for the S.drives, but yeah, some retailers besides TR might still have the S.drives in stock in that size.

Last edited:

Dpro

6000 Post Club
They're great and grip really well, but they need heat. I can't recommend them for street, although my buddy that bought them from me raved about them. He's an AutoX and mountain run guy with a MRX. He doesnt have anywhere near the torque we have. They'll spin when cold.

They're right at 8" wide and likely close to your RSR. I posted a pic of the RT615K+, RT660, RS Pro and Indy 500 side by side somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.. I just wasn't a fan of the softer sidewall and buzzy noise. I think the flexy soft issues I experienced were totally my fault for not running high enough air pressures. The buzz isn't RSRR bad, but I'm sensitive to noises and it bothered me. In my opinion, the RSR is better suited for street because it doesn't need a lot heat to grip. The RT615K+ is the same. It always has grip, but it is narrow when compared to most of today's 215s.
Heh I run RS Proā€™s on the street and have no problem with them. I like them a lot and I am sure I will like them when my S280 arrives and gets dropped in.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thanks for the info and pics. I value your opinion since we have a similar setup and you've tried out so many tires. The RS Pro is about the same section width as the RS-R so it would look about the same on my rims. However they have .5" more tread width which is significant. But based on your review they don't do well in cold temps so it doesn't sound like a good all season tire for street use. I've used the RS-Rs exclusively year-round here in Georgia and have had zero issues in cold weather.

I added the RS Pro to my data, below, for comparison.
Up in Atlanta with hills, curves and ā€œwetā€ cold, they just arenā€™t the best year-round daily choice. I didnā€™t have any complaints about the RSR on the street either. $400 a set is really hard to beat for their intended purpose, which is why Iā€™m going back to them. Ideally, Iā€™d run RT615K+ for street but the additional cost vs street performance compared to the RSR makes it impractical. I love Falken Tires too haha.

RT660ā€™s dead hook 1st on nice pavement. Iā€™m Stock turbo e30. Give them a try if you donā€™t do autoX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #32
Someone on here was selling a set of 17x8 Hypergrams with 215/40-17 Neo Gens on them and they appeared to be SUPER wide in tread width....
Thank you for this. I noticed that thread as well and noticed how wide both tread width and section width is. Especially section width. Those tires look like rectangles. The seller has the same size rims/offset as me and from the pics the rims aren't protruding at all.

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
RE-71R's are my play tire... but not a good track tire and you'd have to swap them off when you commute.

Lots of informed people in here but that's my $0.02

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
RE-71R's are my play tire... but not a good track tire and you'd have to swap them off when you commute.

Lots of informed people in here but that's my $0.02
A LOT more people would use/consider them IF Bridgestone were kind enough to expand their size catalog a bit more to include the sizes we could possibly use, beyond the 'standard go-to' 205/45-16 and such. [wink]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Thank you for this. I noticed that thread as well and noticed how wide both tread width and section width is. Especially section width. Those tires look like rectangles. The seller has the same size rims/offset as me and from the pics the rims aren't protruding at all.
Yeah, having never seen a full-on tread face view of the 215/40-17 Neo Gens before, I was shocked at just how wide and square the tread face width is on those tires!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Im on my second set of indy 500s. For the price best tires so far, grip is good, decent in the rain
I see your installation place uses that 'animal fat/lard' bead lube as well. [mad]

I am trying to find a local place that does NOT use it, and just uses soap or something else less staining/tenacious, since I will NEVER be able to get that crap off of my satin black Dekas once I mount the A052s on them. [:(]

I see your installation place uses that 'animal fat/lard' bead lube as well. [mad]

I am trying to find a local place that does NOT use it, and just uses soap or something else less staining/tenacious, since I will NEVER be able to get that crap off of my satin black Dekas once I mount the A052s on them. [:(]
Never heard of animal fat being used as a tire lube, most shops buy some sort of white goop that is roughly the consistency of soap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk