Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Today was my first brake job

I've never really done any repair or maintenance work on my own vehicles, but I decided I wanted to learn on my new ST. So, about a week after I drove it off the lot (salvaged title, used 26k miles).

I decided to change the rear pad and rotors (there is some squeeking, they needed replacing) and I figured this would be the perfect opportunity to learn.

Well, after about 3.5 hours, I gave up and left my car at my friend's house. The piston in the left brake caliper was seized and refused to budge, no matter what I did. I even have the ford piston adapter, but it barely worked because the stubs were slightly too wide to get a consistent grip.

Tomorrow I'm going to look for a new caliper and brake bleeding kit. Hopefully I can put this behind me. I don't want to bother with brakes every again :(

I can now say I've spent 2.5 hours straight trying to push a caliper piston.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
You turn not push. You can loosen the bleeder valve to make it easier, and also make sure your parking brake is not up. Brakes are easy you just need someone to teach you.

How did the other side go?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Parking brake down. Cover off of the reservoir. Turn tool clockwise and push. Shouldnt need lots of force. It also helps to lube the piston seal so it doesnt drag and tear on the piston.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Also, clockwise for both left and right sides, just in case you are curious.

OP
Rhinoserious
Thread Starter #5
Yup, sorry. I put push in my post but I spent the whole time trying to turn it and push. Trust me, I looked up plenty of guides and help to try and figure how to to get it to turn into the caliper, trying to get it to "catch" its threads.

Parking brake was not engaged, cap was off the reservoir, bleeder valve was loosened, and I was at an experienced friend's house who helped and also tried to collapse the piston. No good.
Became clear something was wrong when we tried to remove the caliper early on: it was very difficult and barely budged but we managed to get it off the rotor.

green_henry

1000 Post Club
I've never really done any repair or maintenance work on my own vehicles, but I decided I wanted to learn on my new ST. So, about a week after I drove it off the lot (salvaged title, used 26k miles).

I decided to change the rear pad and rotors (there is some squeeking, they needed replacing) and I figured this would be the perfect opportunity to learn.

Well, after about 3.5 hours, I gave up and left my car at my friend's house. The piston in the left brake caliper was seized and refused to budge, no matter what I did. I even have the ford piston adapter, but it barely worked because the stubs were slightly too wide to get a consistent grip.

Tomorrow I'm going to look for a new caliper and brake bleeding kit. Hopefully I can put this behind me. I don't want to bother with brakes every again :(

I can now say I've spent 2.5 hours straight trying to push a caliper piston.
When I replaced the rear pads, the pistons were stubborn. I had to go full clockwise and then full counter-clockwise ( or vice-versa ) before they would rotate as expected. You might need to repeat a few times, but they should eventually behave as expected.

Last edited:

PunkST

2000 Post Club
It probably has stuck guide pins too if it was a toral bear to pull off. Sounds best to replace it then. (Ford wasnt great at assembling these for some reason)

Don't give up, keep fighting, sometimes the simple stuff takes a long time and it's frustrating. It may be corroded inside due to lack of proper maintenance and other conditions... so it it needs replacing, you've got the right person on the job. You're right though, brakes suck.

OP
Rhinoserious
Thread Starter #9
I've ordered a new caliper from a ford dealership. Supposed to get there at around Thursday.

Edit: Also, I've checked everything else. The guide pins are fine and I re-lubed them. I put anti-sieze on the appropriate locations, then found out the piston would not move. I think it became stuck because the car is a salvaged title and it was in an accident, damaging the front including cooling elements. The driver probably slammed on his brakes. ( I know the salvaged title risks, the repair was very well done and the car only has 26k miles on it)

Last edited: