Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Touge - Overheat

I had a surprise heat warning while enjoying a spirited drive in the mountains this weekend. With touge I was obviously not going fast (30-65mph) but driving pretty agressively. Near one of the peaks my coolant temp light jumped on. I looked at the AP3 and registered 247f coolant and about the same on oil (holy shit). Looking into the Mishi Oil Cooler and some filter heat sinks now. Does anyone else have simple solutions to low speed/high load driving? I understand air density and cooling is limited at altitude but it happened in about five minutes which caught me completely off guard.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
A stop gap is to turn your heater on and run it will doing that driving as the heater pulls straight off the engine cooling galleries. That will help but its not a fix!

The fix is upgraded Radiator and Intercooler time. You are experiencing the limits of the stock radiator. I can pretty much guarantee if you are doing spirited driving in the mountains your intercooler is close to if not heat-soaking as well.

OP
The Cuzi
Thread Starter #3
Good call on the heater while on stage. I will likely use that as a stop gap.
The fix is upgraded Radiator and Intercooler time.
Yeah, you are probably right. On your profile you have the Mountune Radiator. This is the radiator I am interested in picking up. Have you installed that yet? If so, do you have any testing before/after?

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Good call on the heater while on stage. I will likely use that as a stop gap.

Yeah, you are probably right. On your profile you have the Mountune Radiator. This is the radiator I am interested in picking up. Have you installed that yet? If so, do you have any testing before/after?
Its going in shortly, I actually did a run midday a few weeks back on lil Tujunga Canyon forgot my aircon was still on and had the quick overheat at the top. Turned off the air and the temps dropped back but it was close to 90 in the valleys and high 70”s at the top. I figure its time to put the Mountune in as we are starting to cook again here in SoCal lol.

Its a nice looking radiator build wise, I am sure I will have no problems with it.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I too have driven the So. Cal. mountian roads in a spirited manor, on many very hot days, in many different cars, over many years.
I guess I have gotten a slightly different result.
What I have and always do is leave my AC on and I have never had an overheat issue.
Not to mention that I am way more comfortable which allows me to have more fun rather than driving on a hot day with the heater on.
After all if you are not having fun, then why are you doing it in the first place and maybe you should stop.
Leaving the AC on forces the high speed radiator fan to run, even at lower MPH, allowing more air to be drawn across the radiator.
At the same time the PCM automatically disengages the AC compressor clutch to provide power when you need it.

OP
The Cuzi
Thread Starter #6
I guess I have gotten a slightly different result.
I wonder what the variable is. I've run the route many times before without pause. It could be that previous coolant/oil temps were near this run but without breaking the warning threshold I never noticed. Either way, new problem or learning of an existing problem, it caught me off guard.