Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Transmission clunk

I bought my Fiesta ST brands new with 12 miles on it and I didn’t notice a clunking noise until about 800 miles in. The clunking noise usually comes on when I step on the clutch and let go of it and not when I do the actual shifting. The noise is there from 2-4th gear and is probably there on 5 & 6 but it’s too noisy to hear it by then. It sounds a lot like the dual mass flywheel clunk that I’ve read about - it almost sounds like an exhaust is knocking on something but it’s not. I’m at 18K miles now and the noise is still there but it got pretty cold the past few days and the noise went away.

Cold fluids are usually thicker and it really made the transmission clunk go away while it still shifted perfectly. Has anyone used a thicker transmission fluid? I’m running 2 quarts of Ravenol MTF2 right now and from what I remember the viscosity was about the same as stock fluids. This stuff is good but I really couldn’t tell a big difference over stock and the noise level is the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

green_henry

1000 Post Club
I bought my Fiesta ST brands new with 12 miles on it and I didn’t notice a clunking noise until about 800 miles in. The clunking noise usually comes on when I step on the clutch and let go of it and not when I do the actual shifting. The noise is there from 2-4th gear and is probably there on 5 & 6 but it’s too noisy to hear it by then. It sounds a lot like the dual mass flywheel clunk that I’ve read about - it almost sounds like an exhaust is knocking on something but it’s not. I’m at 18K miles now and the noise is still there but it got pretty cold the past few days and the noise went away.

Cold fluids are usually thicker and it really made the transmission clunk go away while it still shifted perfectly. Has anyone used a thicker transmission fluid? I’m running 2 quarts of Ravenol MTF2 right now and from what I remember the viscosity was about the same as stock fluids. This stuff is good but I really couldn’t tell a big difference over stock and the noise level is the same.

Do you still have the original rear motor mount (RMM) installed? When it's cold, the rubber in the OEM mount will stiffen and behave more like an aftermarket RMM.

OP
L
Thread Starter #4
Do you still have the original rear motor mount (RMM) installed? When it's cold, the rubber in the OEM mount will stiffen and behave more like an aftermarket RMM.
Nope, I have a torque Solutions RMM

I would guess that most of us had the "clunk" starting in the first 1000 miles and did a RMM, trans fluid change and new axles but the clunk remained while the transmission shifted smoothly. Now at 24,000 miles I don't even notice it. If it ever stops I'll start to worry. It's hard to really enjoy driving the car when you think you were screwed by Ford but most likely you won't have any problems.