Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

"Clunky" Transmission

PENN

I had to keep my windows rolled up the past few days due to new tints, and I realized that our transmissions are rather "clunky."

I'd say I'm pretty smooth with shifting and releasing the clutch, but even then I get a slight clunking sound when reengaging the clutch after shifts.

Is it just me? Is it just the way this car is? Is something wrong?

Maybe I just have to get used to it? Only had it for a few weeks.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Sounds about right for the huge dual mass flywheel they put in this car :)

OP
P

PENN

Thread Starter #3
I thought Dual Mass Flywheels were supposed to reduce noise?

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
I can't answer that but i know the one i took out of my car was a lil clunky too.

I've been noticing this the last few weeks myself. For some reason you hear it more when you're in the passenger seat rather than the driver seat. Don't know how I have missed this over the last year.

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
I also hear the clunks on mine. More noticeable in the lower gears.

OP
P

PENN

Thread Starter #7
agreed, definitely more noticeable in lower gears.

if this a normal thing then I'm cool with the clunking!

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
Mine drives fine. When I first got the car I started to get scared hearing all the clunking when shifting.

Wonder what the future holds for these clunkers ;)

rexdriver85

DMFs as I understand are basically 2 flywheels mated together, with springs and rubber isolators. What they do in turbo 4 cylinder engines and especially 4 cylinder diesels is absorb some of the massive low end torque shunt the engines can deliver at such low RPMS. This equates to less drivetrain shock and less vibration and noise for the driver. In the event you have a crappy shift or don't engage the clutch nice and smooth the DMF also absorbs some of that where with a SMF the car will buck and carry on more pronounced.

They have been pretty problematic in the TDI community and many people convert to a SMF eventually.

I think the design is neat and we will have to see how they hold up in our community.

I'm sure as people like rodmoe keep pushing their builds to the extreme they will end up with a SMF eventually. Just my thoughts. [emoji106][emoji106]