Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Transmission Fluid Poll - Which is best for daily driving in mild climates (e.g. Western OR)?

Transmission Fluid Poll - Which is best for daily driving in mild climates?

• Motul DCTF

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Motul Gear 300 75W-90

Votes: 12 15.2%
  • Ravenol MTF-2 SAE 75W-80

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • Motorcraft XT-11-QDC

Votes: 9 11.4%
  • Other

Votes: 15 19.0%

• Total voters

anticon

I read through all the transmission fluid threads I could find and it sounds like the options for replacing the stock fluid are the following. Which one is best for daily driving with some "spirited" weekend drives in mild climates?

Motul DCTF - https://www.motul.com/us/en-US/products/multi-dctf
Motul Gear 300 75W-90 - https://www.motul.com/us/en-US/products/gear-300-75w90
Ravenol MTF-2 SAE 75W-80 - https://www.ravenol.de/en/products/usage/d/Product/show/p/ravenol-mtf-2-sae-75w-80.html
Motorcraft XT-11-QDC - https://www.motorcraft.com/us/en_us/home/our-products/chemicals-and-lubricants/transmission-fluids.html
Other - ?
Redline DCTF
Castrol SynTrans TransAxle 75W-90
Ravenol MTF-3 SAE 75W

The 2017 ST Supplement to the manual specifies the following:
Motorcraft® Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid (U.S.)
XT-11-QDC (U.S. & Canada)
Spec No. WSS-M2C200-D2

ST Transmission: Ford B6 6-speed manual with 228 millimeter clutch and dual mass flywheel

Last edited:

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
The problem with a poll like this is everyone just votes for what they use. It is only relevant to those who have tried more than one fluid on the list and have a preference of the fluids they have tried. I use the Motul 300 75w-90 and it is better than stock.

OP
anticon

anticon

Thread Starter #4
The problem with a poll like this is everyone just votes for what they use. It is only relevant to those who have tried more than one fluid on the list and have a preference of the fluids they have tried. I use the Motul 300 75w-90 and it is better than stock.
True, maybe I should have phrased it as "What transmission fluid are you using or would recommend?"

brbauer2

I just switc6h from stock fluid with 33500 miles on it to the Ravenol MTF-3. I wanted a little thicker than stock while not getting too thick heading into winter (Chicago suburbs).

Immediately felt and heard a difference after the change. Gears slid into place and did so with less sound. Could all be placebo of new fluid though.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I just switc6h from stock fluid with 33500 miles on it to the Ravenol MTF-3. I wanted a little thicker than stock while not getting too thick heading into winter (Chicago suburbs).

Immediately felt and heard a difference after the change. Gears slid into place and did so with less sound. Could all be placebo of new fluid though.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
No you're not the only one..... I noticed it to be less clunky and like I'm shifting through butter! I use the Ravenol MTF-2 75W80...GREAT STUFF!

TDavis

1000 Post Club
I'll be watching this thread as I am curious on peoples opinions. I don't mind veering away from the Motorcraft oil(theres no harm in it either way).

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'll be watching this thread as I am curious on peoples opinions. I don't mind veering away from the Motorcraft oil(theres no harm in it either way).
I got my Trans replaced @ 27k....new Ford fluid etc.....Drained that shit out...put in Ravenol mtf-2 75-80....best thing I did so far for the Trans....shift feel was greatly improved!

TDavis

1000 Post Club
I got my Trans replaced @ 27k....new Ford fluid etc.....Drained that shit out...put in Ravenol mtf-2 75-80....best thing I did so far for the Trans....shift feel was greatly improved!
What happened to your trans?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
What happened to your trans?
Had a very horrible howl in 4th..started to creep into 5th and 6th gear also.....Ford engineer said don't even tear it down....just replace it. I never really looked at the warranty bill either to see what or of a diagnosis was....[popcorn]

Intuit

3000 Post Club
When it comes to temps, oil weight is one of the biggest factors.

For higher temps, thicker oil. Opposite for colder temps.

https://www.fiestastforum.com/forum...n-fluid-change?p=296666&viewfull=1#post296666

OEM Motorcraft weight is a full synthetic 75w-80. That stuff being like water coming out of a transmission that's at garage temperature (65-73F) I went with a slightly heavier, Castrol SynTrans TransAxle 75W-90. Even thought same numbers are on the bottle, it's been my observation that the full synthetics tend to be thinner than mineral and synth-blends.

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
This forum suggests the wrong fluid so many times

The car comes with DCTF and this forum loves putting gear oil in it

I too followed what people did and went with Motul gear oil, and drove with it for 30-40k

Next I went to Motul DCTF and omg night and day!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
This forum suggests the wrong fluid so many times

The car comes with DCTF and this forum loves putting gear oil in it

I too followed what people did and went with Motul gesr oil, and drove with it for 30-40k

Next I went to Motul DCTF and omg night and day!
A lot of those "Gear oils" have now been ford approved and spec'd....just an FYI.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
Motul DCTF was like butter and still is. Hot, cold, new or old. The Motul gear oil was rough until warm and still was iffy

I also run the Boomba ultimate shift kit so it's as short as possible and already going to feel more direct. But the switch to DCTF made it that much more enjoyable

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Motul DCTF was like butter and still is. Hot, cold, new or old. The Motul gear oil was rough until warm and still was iffy

I also run the Boomba ultimate shift kit so it's as short as possible and already going to feel more direct. But the switch to DCTF made it that much more enjoyable
I use Ravenol MTF-2 75w80....way better than stock trash. Meets Ford spec also...

Link...

https://www.ravenol.de/en/products/usage/d/Product/show/p/ravenol-mtf-2-sae-75w-80.html

Intuit

3000 Post Club
HardBoiledEgg's observations are correct. The transmission is designed around Trans Axle fluid and will provide better performance with it.

Go a little thinner or a little heavier, or even non-synth if it's spec, but for best performance you'll want to stick with the same type of fluid.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
HardBoiledEgg's observations are correct. The transmission is designed around Trans Axle fluid and will provide better performance with it.

Go a little thinner or a little heavier, or even non-synth if it's spec, but for best performance you'll want to stick with the same type of fluid.
I will disagree here....manufacturer's look at cost on an assembly line and what's cheapest to stock the most of on the line. When they make multiple parts or vehicles on a line do you think they will keep multiple types of fluid on the line or one that can pass and keep costs down? This isn't a Gt-R or GT-3 production line....its a plant in Viva El Mexico or in England looking to keep costs down. So they utilized their DCTF as they have plenty of it. A Transmission is NOT BUILT around fluid.....that's like saying a turd doesn't smell after you take a dump directly into your hand....no way...they build a part around a computer design and test fluids in them for Thermal breakdown...shear resistance and keep costs down. I'm not gonna get any more BITOG here or preach from Driveline exp. Use anything you want that's within spec of ford and you will be fine...going outside the realm is sketchy....sometimes even call the manufacturer of the persay fluid you would like to use and ask them....not every manufacturer can fit every little spec from all the OEM vehicles on their bottles either. When in doubt....call Amsoil....call Redline....you might be suprised!

Last edited:

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Cost savings by reducing stock inventory is actually a point I made in my post earlier. (click the link below) So I'm not going to disagree with myself there.

HardBoiledEgg merely pointed to his experiences with Gear Oil versus Trans Axle fluid.

HardBoiledEgg: "Motul DCTF was like butter and still is. Hot, cold, new or old. The Motul gear oil was rough until warm and still was iffy ..........."

Based on that experience, the Motul gear oil was much more viscous than the Motul trans axle fluid. This might be fine for those living near the equator. But for mild and Northern, it doesn't sound like a good idea. Even with the watery stuff that Ford puts in, my shifter was stiff for a throw or two on the really frigid mornings.

When it comes to temps, oil weight is one of the biggest factors.

For higher temps, thicker oil. Opposite for colder temps.

https://www.fiestastforum.com/forum...n-fluid-change?p=296666&viewfull=1#post296666

OEM Motorcraft weight is a full synthetic 75w-80. That stuff being like water coming out of a transmission that's at garage temperature (65-73F) I went with a slightly heavier, Castrol SynTrans TransAxle 75W-90. Even thought same numbers are on the bottle, it's been my observation that the full synthetics tend to be thinner than mineral and synth-blends.