Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Transmission Fluid Poll - Which is best for daily driving in mild climates (e.g. Western OR)?

Transmission Fluid Poll - Which is best for daily driving in mild climates?

• Motul DCTF

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Motul Gear 300 75W-90

Votes: 12 15.2%
  • Ravenol MTF-2 SAE 75W-80

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • Motorcraft XT-11-QDC

Votes: 9 11.4%
  • Other

Votes: 15 19.0%

• Total voters

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Butter is better any day of the week than notchy....when I put in Ravenol MTF-2 as ive stated before...Best thing I ever did to the Transaxle and I proved that Ford started overfilling them due to bearing failure even though the book says 1.6L my new Factory Trans installed after failure had 2.0L on the nuts. And now there is a TSB currently on this by Ford I'd been told by a Tech @Ford. Then again I guess....Go with what floats your boat and its within spec as a CYA

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
not every manufacturer can fit every little spec from all the OEM vehicles on their bottles either. When in doubt....call Amsoil....call Redline....you might be suprised!
When I spoke to Dave (top tech @ Red Line) about 2 years ago, he specifically told me NOT to use their DCTF in our IB6 gearboxes, even though some on here do, with good results, and no ill effects.

Now, he may have just been covering his azz, since they do not actually carry the Ford spec number, but he does NOT do the same for their motor oils, even though NONE of them (save for some of their Euro specific spec oils) carry any auto/engine manufacturers' actual specs, even though they BEAT those said 'specs' by leaps and bounds. [dunno]

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
we are bringing a new trans fluid in here this week
I'll also be looking for a few test subjects that would like to try it out

Keep an eye out in our section

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Just browsing on Redline Oil's site, they have a new MT-LV trans fluid out that meets WSS-M2C200-D2 requirements the IB6 specifies.

https://www.redlineoil.com/mt-lv-70w75w
Yes, it is their answer to all of the DCTF-like viscosity, MTF-3 fluids out there on the market already.

Red Line's MTL labeled manual transmission fluid is a bit too thick for our use, albeit still less viscous than the Gear 300 many use on here with no ill effects. 15.2 cSt @100*C for the gear 300, vs. 10.4 cSt @ 100*C for the MTL, whereas the MT-LV is 6.5 cSt @ 100*C, typical of most of the DCT fluid viscosities out there.

I look forward to trying out both that, and the BG product which Ron @ Whoosh sells, in the future. ;)

danbfree

3000 Post Club
What did you end up going with Steve? I'm loving the Ravenol MTF-2, it's also Ford spec and I like how its' 75w-80 for the fairly toasty summers we get but not too thick for winter either...

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Also, not sure why it's not mentioned much, but Triax SynTrans is technically the only full synthetic DCT fluid approved for the IB6, OEM is not full synthetic. Most DCT fluids aren't in general and none of the Motul ones have Ford approval at all, but obviously many people have good luck with them.

ROCKYFiestta

I also did this to my fiesta se sedan I felt more improvement in that vehicle currently at 80k miles, pretty happy with the smooth shifts.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I also did this to my fiesta se sedan I felt more improvement in that vehicle currently at 80k miles, pretty happy with the smooth shifts.
I just can't get over the mental part of having the Ravenol MTF-2 actually Ford approved in case I want to try for warranty on the gear box AND it's cheaper than the BG SynchroShift stuff... I have heard of one guy blame the BG for his trans going out and also one using Motul, but never heard of the Ravenol ever being blamed for killing a trans either, so there's that too... Just food for thought, to each their own for everyone, I'm pretty much positive the BG stuff is awesome, but yeah, just my thoughts and pref there...

ROCKYFiestta

warranty is a distant memory for me, and don't really care for it I am the type of guy who would void it on day one and not look back. BG has a good rep around many auto circles. cheaper not always better. as far as blaming there are many variables that have to be looked at as to why this dude blew his trans lets be honest here he could have fubar the replacement of fluids or did he beat to crap his trans we would never honestly know other than taking somebody's word for it. people tend to point fingers away from themselves when things go wrong.

My car is a 2019 I bought in Jan and after reading the posts here about fluid levels and ford fluid sucks I changed to Ravenol MTF-2 75w80 based off allot what I read. Now since my car was so new I didn't really notice any issues with the factory fluid but I liked knowing I now have 2L of fluid and I must say after driving for about 50 miles on it I have noticed that it seems to shift smoother. Is it the best out there (I don't know) but it is cheap on amazon and better than factory and meets the spec's so it is one of those things where it is a win win.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
My FiST's transmission has from day one been a great trans. No noise, smooth shifts up and down. So I see no reason to change anything at this point of 41K miles.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Hey if you believe in lifelong fluid that's okay.
On my daily driver which is an automatic the maintenance interval for the fluid is 150,000 miles. I see a lot of burnt up automatic transmissions way before that. I have replaced that fluid three times in that car since I've owned it shifts great with 125,000 miles on it. I wonder why mine works so well compared to some others oh I know I changed the fluid. My wife's Mazda has the same issue it is known for cooking the transmission but I have a little secret redline D4 phenomenal automatic transmission fluid. The transmission is still going good 10 years later. I must be doing something right never had automatic transmission fail never had a power steering pump go bad.

I did a tune-up on a Lincoln LS I thought it was interesting car I found out that the rear end likes to go bad in them because the fluid goes to well crap.

People have their opinion and you can argue with me all day but I will never believe in that ridiculously long maintenance interval garbage.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I will add one more thing you will never know if something is an improvement if you don't try it
You may think cherry Coke is the best, but you can't say that if you haven't tried Cherry Pepsi.

If you ain't tried it you can't talk about it.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

BG SynchroShiftII. I think that's the name of it. It's the stuff Ron sells. I had it in with the stock engine and stayed with it in the built engine. No problems so far and shifts very nice.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
BG SynchroShiftII. I think that's the name of it. It's the stuff Ron sells. I had it in with the stock engine and stayed with it in the built engine. No problems so far and shifts very nice.
Everything shifts BETTER than stock fluid.