Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Trash mudflap fitment!!

xxiaze

So I have these rally armor mud flaps that IMO fit horribly in the front because of those plastic trim pieces. The bolts that secure the flaps are awfully close to my wheel setup as well. I will need that space for diff wheels later.

so I suppose I’m here asking if anyone has found a way to make these mudflaps much better fitted similar to how the rear seats it’s self.

I haven’t taken it all apart yet, trying to not deal with that yet I case anyone has some suggestions. See pictures below

46B8F624-4E31-4B06-9EC7-5DF76557EBB9.jpeg 93FEDB01-81CA-4907-8DD0-596D175F5A4B.jpeg

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Since I may end up with even LESS clearance to those bolts with the wheel/tire setup I want to get soon (some 16x8 wheel with 225/45-16 Yok A052s), than you have there, I was going to try and find some FLAT lock nuts to install there, and then grind down those 2 studs to be flush with them when fully tightened.

Then I have to take off the HUGE SMS flaps I have attached to the Rally Armor mounting hardware and trim them down radically, since they are rubbing on the 205/50-16 Neo Gens on 16x8 Dekas, even at factory ride height/on factory suspension. [:(]

OP
xxiaze

xxiaze

Thread Starter #4
haven’t watched it yet but let me guess... they’re installed wrong? I just took them apart and couldn’t figure out how to make them much better...

I didn’t install them, I bought the car with them on :)

thank you!

OP
xxiaze

xxiaze

Thread Starter #5
Since I may end up with even LESS clearance to those bolts with the wheel/tire setup I want to get soon (some 16x8 wheel with 225/45-16 Yok A052s), than you have there, I was going to try and find some FLAT lock nuts to install there, and then grind down that stud to be flush with them when fully tightened.

Then I have to take off the HUGE SMS flaps I have attached to the Rally Armor mounting hardware and trim them down radically, since they are rubbing on the 205/50-16 Neo Gens on 16x8 Dekas, even at factory ride height/on factory suspension. [:(]
That’s a good idea, I’ll take it! What are the SMS flaps? About to go watch the install video per good sir here.

Interestingly enough... they were installed right.
They just fit like ass.
Whoever did it before must have did a shit job drilling and lining up the holes. the stock flap should sit nice and flush to the body. You should take out those flaps and redo them. After the stock flaps sit well it should be ok

OP
xxiaze

xxiaze

Thread Starter #8
E2671D69-6D32-44B5-A692-AB1ED0BE4A13.jpeg

11F5A314-7501-49C7-B82E-89CE1476FA76.jpeg

I checked holes and stuff everything seemed to be fine. It’s just that the plastic is too ridged to take the wheel well curve. Just used some black high strength trim glue and some shims.... see if it holds up. Glue is flexible and hold tightly is goal.

I will be grinding gown studs and using shallower nuts as well, great idea M Sport

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
So I have these rally armor mud flaps that IMO fit horribly in the front because of those plastic trim pieces. The bolts that secure the flaps are awfully close to my wheel setup as well. I will need that space for diff wheels later.

so I suppose I’m here asking if anyone has found a way to make these mudflaps much better fitted similar to how the rear seats it’s self.

I haven’t taken it all apart yet, trying to not deal with that yet I case anyone has some suggestions. See pictures below

View attachment 29349 View attachment 29350
I have the same problems with my RA mudflap kit. Need to investigate further but the lock nuts get super close to my RX wheel/tire setup. I was thinking about using stainless self taping screws instead of the bolt/nut combo that comes with the kit.

Your tire size is a huge problem
WUT

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
Yeah I can tell by the tire choice too. I think you gan take that back cause it's not factory size

OP
xxiaze

xxiaze

Thread Starter #13
I have the same problems with my RA mudflap kit. Need to investigate further but the lock nuts get super close to my RX wheel/tire setup. I was thinking about using stainless self taping screws instead of the bolt/nut combo that comes with the kit.

WUT
ahh, that makes sense yeah! I’ll see how this glue holds up. If it fails rapidly I’ll punch some holes with tappers. Considering my climate I’d like to stay away from the fender holes though because give it a year and that whole side of car will have rust cancer lol.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
What are the SMS flaps?
Susquehanna MotorSports

They are HUGE (you cut/trim them to size, if needed) thick polyurethane flaps which all of the stage rallyists in this country (and even in some other lands) use.

1586234289218.png

Yes, a few ARA rally crews do use Rally Armor, but they use the MUCH larger 'Motorsports' version, NOT the model/make specific ones.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Considering my climate I’d like to stay away from the fender holes though because give it a year and that whole side of car will have rust cancer lol.
^^^THIS (and that the car is not fully paid for yet), is why I did not go the FULL stage rally route, and mount those big rally flaps with stainless or alloy angle brackets, right through the outer body sheet metal, like they all do for a very solid mount. [wink]

OP
xxiaze

xxiaze

Thread Starter #18
I just purchased the carbon pixels wide body kit so I will definitely be replacing current flaps with the ones you guys are talking about. Where can I find them? Is there any videos of installing custom flaps and brackets?

regardless, I popped in to show some pics of the flaps glued with the weatherstripping adhesive. Worked REALLY well! Can’t say how it will hold up, but it feels really solid. Here’s the pics:

6EB246BF-7190-4475-9237-A4A6D3176578.jpeg 1D593797-17D3-44B2-B677-B773B7EE2CDD.jpeg

my flaps have the same terrible fitment as well, and I ran that size tire for a year with no issues, even lowered

OP
xxiaze

xxiaze

Thread Starter #20
REPAIR UPDATE:

It’s holding up WONDERFULLY.... car washes and plenty of driving. Holding together nice and strong! I would recommend this “repair” if anyone is experiencing the same issues.

Have yet to use slimmer nuts, but we all know what will work just fine per described above (grinding bolt down etc)