Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Twin turbo upgrade

Raistron

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
This thought experiment caught my eye, and I thought about it quite a bit.

Best move would be to relocate the battery and ECU, place the big(ger) turbo there, run air intake to it first, then run the intake like normal to the stock(or S280) turbo, leave the rest of the intake track alone.

For the exhaust, let it hit the smaller turbo like normal, but instead of running it back, run it through the larger turbo, then run it to the back to exhaust.

Running the piping like that would require less work than I initially expected, but you're still talking a good bit of fabrication, work, and money, let alone tuning. Effectively requiring you to;

1. Relocate ECU and battery, honestly probably the easiest part, minus wiring.

2. Change intake track mildly, keep the crossover pipe potentially, leave the post low pressure turbo intake OEM but the low pressure turbo(larger), would be in a very obvious spot.

3. Change exhaust track post high-pressure turbo(smaller), run it to the low pressure first, then to the rear.

Depending on underside space I wonder if it would be better to hook it up to the OEM style cat-back exhausts, or if custom fab the whole thing would be better, as far as long-term viability is concerned.

As far as why anyone would consider this, you retain low rpm snappiness with the high pressure turbo, and you don't run out of turbo at 5000 rpm because of the big turbo.

Genuinely my biggest concern would be tuning and money spent vs power gained. But that's something each person would have to decide.

I do know that if I move away from my Elco as a playtoy, and the FiST took that spot, this would be top of the list of things to try before I blow it up.