Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Upgrading sound system.

Hey guys I’m looking to upgrade the whole sound system in the car. Speakers, amp and sub. Was looking at Boss Audio gear anyone here ever use any of there gear?

What’s everyone running amp and speaker wise?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Where are you getting the stuff from? Crutchfield? If not call up crutchfield and tell them what your looking for....I've had great customer service with them and good product advice. I have some speakers I am looking to put in here soon also from them....just haven't gotten around to it.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Try these
Door: InfinityPrimus PR6502is
Amp: Pioneer GM-D8601
Sub: KICKER 43TCWRT122

That's what I installed in mine. Just get all the necessary wires to install the system. If you order from crutchfield they will give you the wire harnesses and speaker adapters for free.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Im partial to rockford fosgate myself. But id shy far away from boss.

HBEcoBeaST

Audio really depends on budget. There's always better but there's always more $$$...

I have a pioneer 5ch amp, 12" slim sub and their tsa series cheap components and coaxials. Great for the money as good as Rockford fosgate primes. I do occasionally miss my Polk speakers but they were over twice as much.

Also basic sound deadening behind speakers really helps

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Im partial to rockford fosgate myself. But id shy far away from boss.
I'm surprised that Roland Corp would let their Boss brand name be usurped by others (Boss is a very highly respected brand in guitar circles, effects pedals in particular). I guess the trademark lawyers dropped the ball!

Is upgrading speakers alone enough to improve the sound quality in this system? Is an amp a necessity? I am not looking for thumping bass or ear shredding highs, just speakers that don't turn to mud when pushed.

Yeah Boss is no bueno.
Everyone that has swapped speakers and added amps, are you not running a DSP? I wanted to swap speakers and run a small amplifier for the front channels (already running a sub) but was worried it would sound "off" without tuning with a DSP

danbfree

3000 Post Club
If you have a '16+, make sure to disable the sound processing in Forscan first, that alone helps the most by restoring clipped frequencies, just don't be an idiot afterward and crank your speakers too high. Then you can upgrade your speakers, just use Crutchfield to show you what fits and they also are about as cheap as Amazon while giving you free adapters. Go with the full 6 3/4 size to get the best fit and deepest frequency response. From there you can bass block all 4 channels and add a sub right off the rear speakers using a speaker level input amp.

HBEcoBeaST

Yeah Boss is no bueno.
Everyone that has swapped speakers and added amps, are you not running a DSP? I wanted to swap speakers and run a small amplifier for the front channels (already running a sub) but was worried it would sound "off" without tuning with a DSP
i just run an lc7i which sums all the channels and restores bass. I am an audiophile and definitely considered a DSP. Unfortunately the bluetooth connection seems to be the weakest link regardless of your equipment. I would have had to spend over double what I spent for my system for any noticeable difference. Pretty happy with my 'budget' pioneer system and that's saying something coming from a super heavy 12'' boston acoustics G5 sub, polk audio component speakers and pioneer head unit I had in my truck.

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
I have the soft foam circles to go around the door speakers, deadening mat, rubbery insulation, two 6.5s and a two 12" box ready for fall installation. I still need another pair of 6.5's.

I don't remember in my searches, anybody trying an 8" in any doors. Anybody have info on that?

i just run an lc7i which sums all the channels and restores bass. I am an audiophile and definitely considered a DSP. Unfortunately the bluetooth connection seems to be the weakest link regardless of your equipment. I would have had to spend over double what I spent for my system for any noticeable difference. Pretty happy with my 'budget' pioneer system and that's saying something coming from a super heavy 12'' boston acoustics G5 sub, polk audio component speakers and pioneer head unit I had in my truck.

I'm running an LC2i currently for the sub (Pioneer Amp / Orion 10") and it's definitely a bit much for the stock speakers. I actually wasn't happy with the "Accubass" feature, I ended up turning it off and keeping it installed as a way to sum the front channel and up the voltage going to the amp a little cleaner.

As for Bluetooth I totally agree, I ended up swapping my Sync 2 for the Sync 3 system this past week and added in the new media hub for Carplay/Android Auto so I could get audio over USB. I've got a flash drive prepped with some FLAC audio and I still listen to a lot of CD's (I'm old school), so the quality is there. Definitely going to tune out the factory processing with Forscan but I figured a DSP would be necessary at that point to get the EQ back.

I'll have to look into those Pioneer speakers though! I'm all about some quality budget speakers

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I'm running an LC2i currently for the sub (Pioneer Amp / Orion 10") and it's definitely a bit much for the stock speakers. I actually wasn't happy with the "Accubass" feature, I ended up turning it off and keeping it installed as a way to sum the front channel and up the voltage going to the amp a little cleaner.

As for Bluetooth I totally agree, I ended up swapping my Sync 2 for the Sync 3 system this past week and added in the new media hub for Carplay/Android Auto so I could get audio over USB. I've got a flash drive prepped with some FLAC audio and I still listen to a lot of CD's (I'm old school), so the quality is there. Definitely going to tune out the factory processing with Forscan but I figured a DSP would be necessary at that point to get the EQ back.

I'll have to look into those Pioneer speakers though! I'm all about some quality budget speakers
Disabling the sound processing has nothing to do with the EQ, in fact, you will notice with the EQ at defaults that the sound is much more balanced like it should be with the EQ at defaults. Of course from there you can adjust it, you are just starting with a balanced sound and not post processed.

HBEcoBeaST

You should make sure you matched signal strength according to the directions on the lc2i. On my lc7i when I signal matched the accubass is all but off.

I also have the foam speaker surrounds and dynamat knockoff deadening behind the speakers which really helps. The baffles I'm 50/50 on since they cut road noise but you lose a little volume and clarity on the mids(splitting hairs here but if you care...)

If you have a '16+, make sure to disable the sound processing in Forscan first, that alone helps the most by restoring clipped frequencies, just don't be an idiot afterward and crank your speakers too high. Then you can upgrade your speakers, just use Crutchfield to show you what fits and they also are about as cheap as Amazon while giving you free adapters. Go with the full 6 3/4 size to get the best fit and deepest frequency response. From there you can bass block all 4 channels and add a sub right off the rear speakers using a speaker level input amp.
Thanks. This is helpful. If you're not interested in a sub and left all of the channels unblocked, would the clarity of the system improve? Can upgraded speakers handle the Forscan-disabled signal boost without distorting as much as the stock speakers? I listen to a lot of podcasts and loud, fuzzed-out bands. I don't need perfect bass, just speakers that don't fart when I crank up my sludgy music.

Last edited:

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thanks. This is helpful. If you're not interested in a sub and left all of the channels unblocked, would the clarity of the system improve? Can upgraded speakers handle the Forscan-disabled signal boost without distorting as much as the stock speakers? I listen to a lot of podcasts and loud, fuzzed-out bands. I don't need perfect bass, just speakers that don't fart when I crank up my sludgy music.
Yes, even the stock speakers are more alive once you disable the extra processing, so speaker upgrades from there will really help you max out the system nicely. Going with the full 6.75" size will help eek out every bit of lower bass possible. Sure it won't be sub levels, but very decent mid-bass is good enough for many people. I'm planning on speaker upgrades but in the mean-time, just disabling that processing has really helped, I just notice I rarely go past 15 in volume for now.

Yes, even the stock speakers are more alive once you disable the extra processing, so speaker upgrades from there will really help you max out the system nicely. Going with the full 6.75" size will help eek out every bit of lower bass possible. Sure it won't be sub levels, but very decent mid-bass is good enough for many people. I'm planning on speaker upgrades but in the mean-time, just disabling that processing has really helped, I just notice I rarely go past 15 in volume for now.
Great information. Thanks! I'll install Forscan, get a cable, and start my adventure by defeating the awful sound processing.