Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Vinyl Wrapping the Gigantic Tail Lights

Let's face it. The ST's exterior design is not elegant. It's sort of an acquired taste. Maybe the worst feature is the gigantic red tail lights. I've always wondered what the ST would look like with "normal" size tail lights. Looking at a bright red ST gives you some idea. I really wanted to do something about those lights on my Magnetic ST, so I tracked down the best vinyl match I could find. Oracal 970 RA Charcoal Metallic 937 (gloss) is close in most lights. Fellers sells 12"x12" samples for $2. 12x12 just barely fits the area I wanted to cover, with a bit of a stretch.

First, I used some "knifeless tape" to outline the actual tail light, not including the huge red reflector area, then applied the vinyl. It was my first experience with vinyl and I'm glad I bought four samples. The second and third tries turned out well. It helps to loosen and slightly pull the tail light away from the body while applying the wrap, and then removing the tail light to finish wrapping around the edges. My best result was peeling back the backing paper on the upper corner a bit, lining up the square sheet in the right position, attaching the upper corner, then slowly pulling the backing down and away from underneath, and working the wrap out to the sides as I went. Don't assume you can get bubbles or creases out later. Pull back the vinyl from that area, and re-apply more slowly and carefully. You can (and might have to) do this again and again. Use a heat gun to soften the vinyl if you can't work out the wrinkles. I was advised to use my (very clean) hand, rather than a wrap-squegee, because you're working a small curved area. That seemed to work well.

When the wrap is fully applied, I made a small "starter" slice in the vinyl where the knifeless tape will pull through. Otherwise, the filament inside the tape might bunch the vinyl up at the edge, rather than starting to cut through it. the tape actually makes a very clean line. I followed up with removing the tail light, wrapping the wrap around the edges, trimming the excess and then heating the whole wrapped area.

I ended up using the excess to wrap the Ford badges, and the inside of the ST badge on the rear. Once that was grayed-out, I removed the Fiesta emblem.

I'm happy with the result. It really changes the look of the rear of the car...I think for the better. IMG_7257.jpg IMG_7258.jpg IMG_7259.jpg IMG_7260.jpg IMG_7261.jpg

I always liked the MK7 rear lights. They are a bit reminiscent of the old MK1 focus rear lights. Always loved the design of that car. And I didn't like the MK8 Fiesta rear lights at first. I thought they removed too much of the OG Focus/Fiesta rear end design.

But seeing these pictures, I can see it does look good with smaller tail lights too, on the MK7. Always pondered if I should do some wrapping with that "chameleon holographic translucent vinyl wrap" on my taillights. I've used some cheap aliexpress stuff on my fog lights and 3rd brakelight to see how it looked.

The Mk8 rear has grown on me lately and is good looking too.

from a safety standpoint i don't get it (i would never do smoked tail lights for this reason either) but that can be made up by getting brighter bulbs

from an aesthetics standpoint? i...kinda see what you mean. if the color was an exact match (credit where it's due, it still looks factory) and my head could get past knowing reflectors are supposed to be there, i would agree it looks a lot less *busy* and cleaner.

i abide as well.

edit: now just keep going and wrap the rest of the car in vinyl and do the same thing to the headlights!

OP
MauiRoads
Thread Starter #6
Thanks esp_martin. For safety reasons, I wouldn't do smoked taillights either...but I figured wrapping only the reflectors would be fine. Best color match I could find for the color, but I've found that non-fiesta people don't notice the difference. I'm noticing it less and less, though :unsure:. And my experience wrapping the reflectors tells me I would never try wrapping a whole car. Respect to the wrappers!

yeah for me ANY way to get the attention of drivers who sit high up in big SUVs is a huge plus. i'm thinking of getting brighter LED fog lights (or even a DOT legal light bar) so people notice me no matter what. and for sure, i only know the color doesn't match because i'm looking for it. if i had never seen a Fiesta ST before i would just assume that's how it came from the factory. no doubt in my mind.