Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Wavetrac vs the rest

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Couldn't get the instument to go to the Ford light. Checked the tyre pressures and drove for about 300 yds and the light disappeared. Rear driver's side tyre was about 12lbs under. Used my HALO pump and fixed it in less that 2 mins!

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
I know this is an oldish thread but I do want to chip in: I now have had 2 Mfactory diffs blow up on me. Car is currently in the shop to see if it has taken out yet another transmission with it. Will be replacing with an oem open diff.

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #46
I know this is an oldish thread but I do want to chip in: I now have had 2 Mfactory diffs blow up on me. Car is currently in the shop to see if it has taken out yet another transmission with it. Will be replacing with an oem open diff.
Wow that’s the first I’ve heard of any MFactory problems. Mine still running strong but I still have curiosity about the Wavetrac’s “advantage”.

Sam4

Wow that’s the first I’ve heard of any MFactory problems. Mine still running strong but I still have curiosity about the Wavetrac’s “advantage”.
Any reason to be worried about this tranny fluid or that? It's the same question as ' what beer do you drink', but what are you using? I'm actually going with BG and hope TyphoonFist doesn't flame me again this morning.

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #49
Any reason to be worried about this tranny fluid or that? It's the same question as ' what beer do you drink', but what are you using? I'm actually going with BG and hope TyphoonFist doesn't flame me again this morning.
Not sure. I’ve always used Motul Gear 300 and change it once or twice a year.

To follow up on some of the discussions, is the conclusion that the BG is fine to run with a Wavetrac? Obviously they want 75W-90 and it's 75W-80, but has no LS additives and appears to be a suitable "factory fill" substitute which is what Wavetrac recommends if you're not using the Motul Gear 300. And no way am I sticking with the factory fluid, it's been... Fine, but not good.

I only ask because I foolishly got the BG without apparently checking the right thing, and while I have no issues buying new gear oil, if it's totally fine I'd prefer to just use what I've got. Street driven car with some track, but I go snowboard a lot in the winter so I'm not necessarily looking for a super thick fluid either

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
To follow up on some of the discussions, is the conclusion that the BG is fine to run with a Wavetrac? Obviously they want 75W-90 and it's 75W-80, but has no LS additives and appears to be a suitable "factory fill" substitute which is what Wavetrac recommends if you're not using the Motul Gear 300. And no way am I sticking with the factory fluid, it's been... Fine, but not good.

I only ask because I foolishly got the BG without apparently checking the right thing, and while I have no issues buying new gear oil, if it's totally fine I'd prefer to just use what I've got. Street driven car with some track, but I go snowboard a lot in the winter so I'm not necessarily looking for a super thick fluid either
It's what I have in mine as I was told by Wavetrac Factory Fluid or an equivalent that meets ford spec * I Run BG currently....Did 75w90 but thought it was way to thick for Mn winters. And yes No LS additives in it.

It's what I have in mine as I was told by Wavetrac Factory Fluid or an equivalent that meets ford spec * I Run BG currently....Did 75w90 but thought it was way to thick for Mn winters. And yes No LS additives in it.
I'll stick with it then. There's a thread Ron replied to that really threw me off, but I went and checked my own paperwork and it only states what Wavetrac says online. As long as I'm not the first guinea pig I'm happy.

Hopefully should have it in tomorrow or Monday, doing it at the same time as my S280. Hopefully I don't mess it up lol

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'll stick with it then. There's a thread Ron replied to that really threw me off, but I went and checked my own paperwork and it only states what Wavetrac says online. As long as I'm not the first guinea pig I'm happy.

Hopefully should have it in tomorrow or Monday, doing it at the same time as my S280. Hopefully I don't mess it up lol
The factory fluid is a straight 75w* And Fomoco thinks its made of Gold for some reason. Ravenol MTF-2 75w-80 meets fomoco spec and So BG also a 75w80 is in the same boat even if the "Label" doesn't specify.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Update on the Torque steer issue altered tire pressure by a pound and it took away a good amount of the TQ steer. I will also report that while RT660’s are great initially as they wear it’s not only delamination issues they tend to start having vibrational and balance issues as well. When I rotated my still tread life rears to the front the ride experience was pretty bad. I have since put on Continental Contact Extreme Sport02’s for winter rainy driving and they re pretty damn nice. They are the updated Version of the DW 06’s to the point that they even have DW stamped in the tread.
Anyways long and short playing with tire pressure goes a long way towards TQ steer control and do not buy RT660’s.

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^Did you run uneven, different pressures left to right on the FRONT axle's tires to achieve this torque steer reduction, or did you just drop (or raise??) the pressures evenly across the front axle??

Dpro

6000 Post Club
^^^Did you run uneven, different pressures left to right on the FRONT axle's tires to achieve this torque steer reduction, or did you just drop (or raise??) the pressures evenly across the front axle??
dropped tire pressure by a pound per corner, uneven numbers totally make it worse not better 🤣 it was pretty eye opening . I am running 38 front now and pretty damn happy.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yeah, I wish that those Extreme Sport 02s were available in more 16" sizes, as well as a 215/40-17. [:(]

Next best (or maybe even better than, at this point?? [dunno]) performance street tire (i.e.;300 tread wear rating or above) to the original summer Pilot Sports. [thumb]

Last edited:

Intuit

3000 Post Club
The Castrol SynTrans Transaxle is a full synthetic 75W-90 and haven't noticed any Winter stiffness issues on the stock trans/differential. The stuff has to literally be imported though. At least with motor oils, it seems the full synthetics are less viscous versus the part-synth and mineral oils.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Update on the slight Torque steer altered tire pressue by a pound and it took away a good amount of the TQ steer. I will also report that while RT660’s are great initially as they wear it’s not only delamination issues they tend to start having vibrational and balance issues as well. When I rotated my still tread life rears to the front the ride experience was pretty bad. I have since put on Continental Contact Extreme Sport02’s for winter rainy driving and they re pretty damn nice. They are the updated Version of the DW 06’s to the point that they even have DW stamped in the tread.
Anyways long and short playing with tire pressure goes a long way towards TQ steer control and do not buy RT660’s.
I was doing 70 in the rain with those Conti’s. Only got sketchy if I hit a lot of standing water. I hit 80 a few times to pass people, but if I can do 70 comfortably in the rain they get 2 thumbs up from me.