Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Wavetrac vs the rest

dhminer

2000 Post Club
So for those of us with BBK (In my case EBC) will this limit the use of the high performance brake fluid we usually upgrade to? So just for clarification, both of these cant use fluids with the additives right? What does LS stand for?
He’s talking fluid for the transmission. Wavetrac recommends Motul 300 (75w90) without LS (limited slip) additive that’s used for other types of differentials. No impact on brake/clutch hydraulic fluid.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
So for those of us with BBK (In my case EBC) will this limit the use of the high performance brake fluid we usually upgrade to? So just for clarification, both of these cant use fluids with the additives right? What does LS stand for?
Limited Slip * it can reduce the effectiveness of the friction plates by up to 30% wavetrac told me and it was in their Recommended Fluid Not to use additives*

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Wavetrac also says to use Factory approved fill* Which could be Fomoco DCTF which is a 75w straight. You could also use Ravenol MTF2 75w80 OR MTF3 75w as they meet Fomoco spec. Wavetrac site says if you Autocross to use motul 75w90 or motul 75w140 if you drag the Car. I started out with 75w90 Raveol without LS Additive but decided it was way to thick/ viscous for Mn cold weather and went back to Fomoco DCTF due to a leaking axle seal i had to replace. I couldn't get Ravenol ..Motul or anything else quickly so i went back to OEM fluid for now. But will be changing it out for BG syncro shift 2 as its a 75w80 Just like Ravenol MTF2. Which i think is the Best choice for our Transmission as its a happy medium for cold weather and hot i have found out in my Old OEM transmission.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Limited slip I suspect. Sometimes listed as friction modifier.
Yes, and it is mixed right into many 75W-90 and above weight GL-5/6 gear oils right from the filling facility, so be careful about which ones are chosen.

Usually, those will state something like 75W-90 LS right on their labels. [wink]

Magnetic

He’s talking fluid for the transmission. Wavetrac recommends Motul 300 (75w90) without LS (limited slip) additive that’s used for other types of differentials. No impact on brake/clutch hydraulic fluid.
That's what I was wanting to know. Thanks!

I went with Wavetrac. I’ve only put 500 miles on it in the last 7 weeks since install so my clutch isn’t broken in yet, therefore haven’t gotten onto it at all in the rare instances I’ve driven it lol
Any reason you went with the Wavetrac over the others? My clutch pedal just started sticking to the floor so I'm looking into LSDs since I might have to replace the slave master cylinder in the future.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Any reason you went with the Wavetrac over the others? My clutch pedal just started sticking to the floor so I'm looking into LSDs since I might have to replace the slave master cylinder in the future.
Seemed to be the best option from what I read on here. I also like that Wavetrac is an American company who makes their differentials in the states opposed to Mfactory being a UAE based company with products being made in Taiwan. I didn’t consider Quaife but I can’t give you a good rationale as to why not. Colby (Clarke transmissions) also recommends Wavetrac over the rest, FWIW.

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I too have a little torque steer with my WaveTrac when I really goose it, but as long as you're ready for it, not really as problem.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I too have a little torque steer with my WaveTrac when I really goose it, but as long as you're ready for it, not really as problem.
I can ditto the slightly more torque steer with the Wavetrac as noted by others and amplified in part by my bigger turbo. As long as you don’t romp hard it’s a complete non issue. Tire pressure maintenance now becomes a higher priority than before because slight changes in tire pressure can affecti it dramatically . At least that’s been my experience.

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Could be. I get a TPMS light but every time I check the pressures, they all show good pressure. Need someone who has a machine that tells me which one is causing the light rather that get a new set of TPMS.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Could be. I get a TPMS light but every time I check the pressures, they all show good pressure. Need someone who has a machine that tells me which one is causing the light rather that get a new set of TPMS.
sounds like your tpms need to be reset. I have a TPMS reset module. If they are not properly retrained after wheel tire changes they can go on and off randomly.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Go after the Clutch Master on the clutch pedal FIRST* They do go bad....i have also Ran a Mfactory LSD and Now Run A Wavetrac* Not too much of a difference between the two TBH. Pick your poison. Torque steer is also minimal with the Wavetrac..but it is there. Like s Scosh. YOU CANNOT USE ANYTHING WITH LIMITED SLIP ADDITIVE IN THE FLUID WITH THE WAVETRAC* or it can diminish the friction plates job by 30%*

Last edited:

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
sounds like your tpms need to be reset. I have a TPMS reset module. If they are not properly retrained after wheel tire changes they can go on and off randomly.
I have one Dave, so I'll give it a go tomorrow. If I can't get it reset, I'll give you a shout.