Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What causes high rpm ignition corrections?

Getting ign corrections on my first pro tune revision and I'm wondering what to look at besides fuel quality.
I've confirmed plug gap on the step colder NGK 6510s at 0.0275 and put 3 of those gas station available octane booster bottles in the tank and still have the corrections at 5800 to 6500 rpm on WOT pulls.
Car is very new and has no rattles that I can tell.

Thanks for any insight

Getting ign corrections on my first pro tune revision and I'm wondering what to look at besides fuel quality.
I've confirmed plug gap on the step colder NGK 6510s at 0.0275 and put 3 of those gas station available octane booster bottles in the tank and still have the corrections at 5800 to 6500 rpm on WOT pulls.
Car is very new and has no rattles that I can tell.

Thanks for any insight
Are the corrections + or -. If they are + it is timing advance over base timing and that is perfectly normal. If the corrections are - than you have instances of knock happening which could be too aggressive of timing advance curve.

OP
unspankable
Thread Starter #3
Are the corrections + or -. If they are + it is timing advance over base timing and that is perfectly normal. If the corrections are - than you have instances of knock happening which could be too aggressive of timing advance curve.
Yes sorry they are negative corrections.
I'm looking for other possible causes for knock besides bad fuel and plug gap. I'm only on my first revision and my tuner says there shouldn't be corrections yet.
Looks like the NW Chevron 94 octane I'm using is probably the culprit though.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'm looking for other possible causes for knock besides bad fuel and plug gap. I'm only on my first revision and my tuner says there shouldn't be corrections yet.
How does the car react after seeing them is what really matters. Does it keep going - or does it start trending back twords +?

Please read.....

https://www.stratifiedauto.com/blog...ons-in-your-high-performance-ecoboost-engine/

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Gas quality consistency is a big factor. My suggestion is find a high traffic station in a nice part of town the quality will be higher because of the higher quality gas consumption and their supplier frequents consistently.

OP
unspankable
Thread Starter #6
How does the car react after seeing them is what really matters. Does it keep going - or does it start trending back twords +?

Please read.....

https://www.stratifiedauto.com/blog...ons-in-your-high-performance-ecoboost-engine/

Yeah I've read that article. The corrections are extended. Doesn't ever go negative but It detects knock and retards then tries to add again and detects knock again and either holds or reduces further. By 6500 I'm at +1.18 on some pulls down from +3.5.

OP
unspankable
Thread Starter #7
We
Gas quality consistency is a big factor. My suggestion is find a high traffic station in a nice part of town the quality will be higher because of the higher quality gas consumption and their supplier frequents consistently.
Just had flooding cut off our fuel supply so there isn't enough gas to go around. All the stations have had their tanks emptied and refilled several times and so I know I'm getting gas that is basically fresh from the fuel truck.
The 94 octane here is ethanol free and apparently isn't great for tuning I just got told recently.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Yeah I've read that article. The corrections are extended. Doesn't ever go negative but It detects knock and retards then tries to add again and detects knock again and either holds or reduces further. By 6500 I'm at +1.18 on some pulls down from +3.5.
Every engine knocks* there is no engine that doesn't knock unless it's become lawn art*

OP
unspankable
Thread Starter #10
My tuner who many on this forum swear by and has a stellar reputation -

"we are seeing some corrections popping up already, which is quite strange for the amount of boost and timing we are running.

We should not really be seeing anything yet, so it makes me feel that either fuel quality or spark plugs are to blame
."

I've posted a screenshot of the datalog showing corrections.
my current plan is to dump a gallon of xylene into the tank and see what happens šŸ”„

Attachments

My tuner who many on this forum swear by and has a stellar reputation -

"we are seeing some corrections popping up already, which is quite strange for the amount of boost and timing we are running.

We should not really be seeing anything yet, so it makes me feel that either fuel quality or spark plugs are to blame."

I've posted a screenshot of the datalog showing corrections.
my current plan is to dump a gallon of xylene into the tank and see what happens šŸ”„
Is the center right actual and far right desired timing?

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Other things which cause knock include carbon deposits in cylinder, wrong spark plugs, lean AFM (clogged injector, weak pump), faulty knock sensor. The last one won't actually cause knock, but it will cause what you are seeing instead of knock, the ECU reducing timing advance to prevent knock.

OP
unspankable
Thread Starter #15
@unspankable you on the island or mainland, and who's your tuner? I ask because I have both a Strat tune and a Dizzy tune and Jason has stated our Chevron on the island is pretty shit

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk
Yeah I'm on the island, only found this out just now.
Is the 94 on the mainland any better and if so why?
What did you do? Is island shell 91 any better?
Thanks much bro

I can't vouch for the gas over there, possibly a bit better.

Typhoon, I had a fair amount of negative corrections before, switched to a 91 with e10 and I'm getting the same boost levels and almost no negative corrections.
I'm going to send him logs soon so I'll know for sure if it was just the fuel. But I'm going to assume.

A lot of locals on the mainland side have found that the new Shell 93 is a lot better than the Chevron 94. It might be worth a shot.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I can't vouch for the gas over there, possibly a bit better.

Typhoon, I had a fair amount of negative corrections before, switched to a 91 with e10 and I'm getting the same boost levels and almost no negative corrections.
I'm going to send him logs soon so I'll know for sure if it was just the fuel. But I'm going to assume.

How did it all turn out?

Sam4

I can't help myself. Anything other than strict 93 name brand, 87 or 89 for instance, leads to butt dyno disappointment. You can feeel it isn't right. I just don't believe you can software yourself out of this problem. I have some trace anemia - I need more red meat, not a yoga class. Octane juice bottles should be poured down gas station toilets prior to taking a dump...

Ford Community Posts