Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What do people mean by muffler delete?

Based

Which part of the exhaust do you delete when you say "muffler delete"? What's the difference between a muffler and a resonator?

Not much really. In the sense of a mufflers primary purpose is to muffle the sound, a resonators purpose is to change the tone by cancelling certain frequencies. If removed they both will increase the sound of the exhaust and change tone. Some vehicles react better to one or the other or even both.

Turbo vehicles react well to deletes as the turbo itself acts as a muffler, as well as a restriction.

My Balt SS sounded amazing with a muffler delete. My FoST it was ok, should have deleted the resonator or at least changed it. The FoST had a huge resonator and deleting it with a muffler delete sounded ok but was a little much. Exhaust is preference really and sometimes it takes some tuning or in the case of my Balt SS you luck out big time with a $50 mod that comes out awesome. Even catbacks are preference as well, my friend has 6K in his 350z just in exhaust alone between 4 systems trying to achieve the sound he wanted. So far from youtube videos I'm not very impressed with FiST muffler deletes, again though Youtube isn't your best bet as reference (as my 350z friend lol) Going to a meet is the best way to get exhaust ideas.

Plusses to muffler deletes, Cheap, Easy, less weight.

minuses, None really on a Turbo vehicle just have an open mind and you can usually achieve the sound you want from messing around with aftermarket resonators, or mufflers and still end up with a less expensive system then a CBE.

OP
B

Based

Thread Starter #3
So which part am I actually deleting? I haven't gone under the car to even look at the exhaust yet so idk really what I'm dealing with. I might even want to take it to the muffler shop and have them delete the muffler AND the resonator idk

Ok I just looked up a picture of the stock exhaust. My guess is the resonator is the one way back towards the middle of the car and the muffler is the one next to the tips?

Bluedrank

You can delete either one. It's your choice. Go on YouTube and search for fiesta st muffler delete and fiesta st resonator delete to hear the difference. I personally would not do both, as it will just be straight piped st that point and pretty loud.

I did a resonator delete and I'm happy with the results. It's only slightly louder than stock and has no drone. You hear more pops during engine warm up too.

My understanding is that muffler delete is noticeably louder, and does result in drone in the cabin.

OP
B

Based

Thread Starter #5
So the resonator is the one further back on the exhaust? Like the one not close to the tips?

I tried to get it done this weekend but couldn't find a shop opened on weekends...

Did y'all buy your own pipe or did the shop have it already? It's 2.17 inch outside diameter and 2 inch inside diameter right?

Bluedrank

From the engine back it goes catalytic converter ---> resonator ---> muffler. So if you were doing a resonator delete you'd be cutting off the pipe in the middle. If you were doing a muffler delete you'd be cutting off the tips and the larger box in the rear of the car. The shop would supply the pipe generally, at least if they are a reputable muffler shop. The pipe needs to be cut and welded in place btw, because our exhaust does not unbolt in the middle anywhere. I do believe the correct size is 2.17, but I'm fairly certain many shops use 2.25 and it works fine.

Also forgot to mention it is indeed 2.17 inches I used 2.25 and clamped it at first but I welded it before the video as you do get a leak. The body is 15.5 inches of the resonator

I did a video it's on youtube search my channel Fistofpain and check it out i have my gopro mounted to the rear of the car