Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What dv/bov do you run and why?

I switched from the stock to a Turbosmart kompact dual port, and while I like it, I don’t love it. I feel it’s more intended for FiST’s with louder exhausts and I’m running a catless dp and a Mountune catback. My exhaust is fairly quiet, so everything boost related is pretty audible. So much to the point where I’m highly debating going to a plumb back. I need to decide around what I’m gonna use with my soon to be S280 upgrade.

I switched from the stock to a Turbosmart kompact dual port, and while I like it, I don’t love it. I feel it’s more intended for FiST’s with louder exhausts and I’m running a catless dp and a Mountune catback. My exhaust is fairly quiet, so everything boost related is pretty audible. So much to the point where I’m highly debating going to a plumb back. I need to decide around what I’m gonna use with my soon to be S280 upgrade.
I installed the electronic plumb back bypass. This gives my tuned ECU control of said valve. Plus I don't like noise, but more importantly, I don't like to waste valuable energy, which can be used to produce horsepower and torque.

PS: I had my old aftermarket BOV installed in my cold side charge pipe. What are your guys thoughts about installing the bypass valve in cold side charge pipe (between the Intercooler and thottle body)?

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Turbosmart Veeport. I like the symposer location because getting at it in the turbo location has been difficult in the past. Thinking of swapping to the HKS for sound and it doesn't need adjustment whereas the veeport does.

I run the Turbosmart plumb back on recommendation from Ron. He has said that vacuum referenced BPV's are always better.

I am semi considering running a plumb back in the symposer location only for the reason of it being easier to access to clean and provide regular maintenance where as on the turbo is more difficult to get to. But in reality I will probably just leave what I have.

My thoughts are turbosmart plumb-back or HKS symposer port (which I'm currently running) due to the lack of needing to adjust it, great location, and changeable sound via inserts. I do feel it's a bit loud only having a Mountune exhuast as well lol.

Was thinking about the Turbosmart EM dual port but if that's equally pretty damn loud maybe I do go back to a plumb back. The stock valve already made a ton of crazy noises with the MAP intake that didn't travel too far from the car if you get what I mean.

So it sounds like vacuum referenced plumb back would be the way to go in that hypothetical scenario?

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I use the GFB DV+. I like the theory behind it, the valve will only release as much pressure as necessary so you keep response between shifts and on/off throttle. Stock is fully open or fully closed. That being said, because it doesn't release 100% of the boost it's not as loud. Doesn't bother me, though.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I use the GFB DV+. I like the theory behind it, the valve will only release as much pressure as necessary so you keep response between shifts and on/off throttle. Stock is fully open or fully closed. That being said, because it doesn't release 100% of the boost it's not as loud. Doesn't bother me, though.
Same here, and once I switched to the ST200 air box with the ducted hose, the GFB DV+ even gives some of that 'R2D2 chirp', albeit NOT anywhere near as loudly as the rally/racing Quattros did.

Eventually, since it's now fully out of warranty, I may try a TS turbo mounted plumb-back due to the shorter line lengths vs the yes, much more convenient/accessible cold pipe/symposer location variety.

OP
fk8fist
Thread Starter #16
I’m running a Mishimoto intake, it’s extremely loud. It has the crossover and everything. Getting ready to switch to a dry flow filter as my experience from being a Ford tech is they don’t like oiled filters. I’ve heard spool will be ridiculous with an S280 and the combination of things I have. I’m very excited for that. I know the OE hot side is a “muffler” or baffle for turbo noises as well which the S280 obviously eliminates.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Same here, and once I switched to the ST200 air box with the ducted hose, the GFB DV+ even gives some of that 'R2D2 chirp', albeit NOT anywhere near as loudly as the rally/racing Quattros did.

Eventually, since it's now fully out of warranty, I may try a TS turbo mounted plumb-back due to the shorter line lengths vs the yes, much more convenient/accessible cold pipe/symposer location variety.
It was a tedious install but I did everything by feel. I did not need to pull the wheel off like some video guides recommend.

OP
fk8fist
Thread Starter #18
I’ve actually thought about the symposer bov but I’d rather just get an intercooler pipe flanged for a Tial or something comparable if I’m gonna go that route. Never been an HKS fan or really any “jdm” style bov.