Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What size wheel to improve versatility?

My ST is all stock, but at 16K miles it looks like the stock tires don't have a whole lot of life left in them. I am very happy with the way the car handles and feels in corners now, but I live in fear of potholes and other road irregularities, as the stock tires (Bridgestones) don't have much sidewall. I am also rapidly approaching retirement, and I would like to use this car for road trips and such when I have more time. I don't want a busted tire and/or rim ruining a trip, but I don't want to give away too much in the way the car handles. Should I be considering a smaller wheel (16" or even 15")?

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Run some 215/40/17s on the factory wheels.

More sidewall and awider contact patch.

You might want to consider a high performance all-season tire. They'll last a lot longer than summer tires and ride a little softer.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
This; +1

My ST is all stock, but at 16K miles it looks like the stock tires don't have a whole lot of life left in them. I am very happy with the way the car handles and feels in corners now, but I live in fear of potholes and other road irregularities, as the stock tires (Bridgestones) don't have much sidewall. I am also rapidly approaching retirement, and I would like to use this car for road trips and such when I have more time. I don't want a busted tire and/or rim ruining a trip, but I don't want to give away too much in the way the car handles. Should I be considering a smaller wheel (16" or even 15")?
You want a 16x7, 16x7.5, or 16x8.

205/50R16 BF Goodrich Sport Comp 2 All Season (Thanks [MENTION=4438]M-Sport fan[/MENTION])
205/50R16 Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3+
205/50R16 Firestone Indy 500 Summer

Are all excellent daily driver tires that will give you the handling you love with more forgiveness in the ride quality department.

Check out this thread for inspiration:
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/1691-Meaty-Tires-Thread

Last edited:

Jerickson88

I found that going to the 215/40 17 when I was seeking a tire for longevity and comfort was good for me. I ran a cheaper tire, Federal Formoza FD2. It's a all season, economical, and logged right at 20k when I took them off to go with an aggressive summer tire for motorsport activities.

I can recommend both the size and tire, but your needs may vary. That tire should have lasted at least 35k miles, if not 40k. I'd also like to add that the set delivered and installed was HALF the price if not even less than the stock Bridgestones or Michelins and gave me zero issues in the handling department

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I'd also like to add that the set delivered and installed was HALF the price if not even less than the stock Bridgestones or Michelins and gave me zero issues in the handling department
Also, NEITHER of those companies above could find it in their hearts to build us a tire in that (215/40-17) size (or even a 225/40-17, better yet) in the first place. [mad] [:(]

Jerickson88

Also, NEITHER of those companies above could find it in their hearts to build us a tire in that (215/40-17) size (or even a 225/40-17, better yet) in the first place. [mad] [:(]
No kidding, the 215/40 is a fantastic size, why cant anyone else get on board?

Nitto used to make the NT555 IN 225/40 back in the way back lol

OP
R
Thread Starter #9
Thanks for all the input! I'm thinking I will go with the 16 wheel and larger tire. I like the idea of having and extra set of wheels around, and with rebates, delivery discounts (I live near a TR distribution center), it's not that much more expensive than quality tires for my existing wheels.

Going without the TP monitors is no big deal, right? As a motorcycle guy, I habitually check tires anyway.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thanks for all the input! I'm thinking I will go with the 16 wheel and larger tire. I like the idea of having and extra set of wheels around, and with rebates, delivery discounts (I live near a TR distribution center), it's not that much more expensive than quality tires for my existing wheels.

Going without the TP monitors is no big deal, right? As a motorcycle guy, I habitually check tires anyway.
If you don't mind the dashboard light and infotainment message that comes on every time you start the car, sure. But in my opinion, just spend the extra $30: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-4-T...m5b2afc0eda:g:7k0AAOSwOyJX24Bb&frcectupt=true

Jerickson88

If you don't mind the dashboard light and infotainment message that comes on every time you start the car, sure. But in my opinion, just spend the extra $30: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-4-T...m5b2afc0eda:g:7k0AAOSwOyJX24Bb&frcectupt=true
I'm glad you posted that. I'm an ebay fiend. I know I'll he picking up a set of 15's for late fall/winter use. I know it's not that I need winter tires, but I want an all season on the car during those months to get the summer tires off due to low temps anyways.

Jerickson88

Wow, I think I just solved my problem. Guy has a set of fiesta 15"steel take offs locally, hub caps and lugnuts for 100.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any 15x8s still available? I'm having a hard time finding anything other than 15x6.5

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk