Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Whoosh Turbo Longterm Reliability?

Gritino

Hi all, first post and a long time reader!

Does anyone have a Whoosh hybrid turbo and can share how the experience has been over the miles they’ve driven? Would anyone recommend a different turbo?

I’m not looking to go 350+hp, just want a bit more power, while maintaining my reliability as much as possible.

Well I got about 70k on mine atm. 109k total miles. Granted most of my driving is on the highway, but it hasn’t given me any issues at all. I drive a bit more conservatively now with gas going up, and work being my only commute, but I drove it like hell when I got it, and I still do if I feel the urge to. I do want an s280 now tho, It’ll just benefit me more since I’m on the highway constantly. Or maybe a gtx. Haven’t fully decided yet.

OP
G

Gritino

Thread Starter #4
Thank you both! This is great news. I think the whoosh hybrid is just the bump in power I need, without going too crazy

Vardar ST

Hello guys..I would be interested to know about the reliability of the turbo ..I have read the best regarding this hybrid..the only question I have is the blue smoke coming out of the exhaust in some conditions that I read in some topics in the forum that some Fiesta had..has it been found what was wrong in the end?

I do not want to be unfair, I'm just trying to figure out if the hybrid was to blame or something else and if the problem that caused it has been found.

I’ve had mine on for 15,000 miles without any issues i had some teething problems during break in, i was burning some oil but that’s about it

I’m at 30psi and 340whp with port injection holds up fine

If you’re worried about reliability just go with a ball bearing turbo it’ll last as long if not longer than the stock turbo

Hello guys..I would be interested to know about the reliability of the turbo ..I have read the best regarding this hybrid..the only question I have is the blue smoke coming out of the exhaust in some conditions that I read in some topics in the forum that some Fiesta had..has it been found what was wrong in the end?

I do not want to be unfair, I'm just trying to figure out if the hybrid was to blame or something else and if the problem that caused it has been found.
hybrid turbos in general tend to have oiling issues or seal issues because you’re basically taking a stock turbo charger doesn’t matter which one and modifying it for higher horsepower. As a result of which it will never be as reliable as a stock unit or a ball bearing turbo. This doesn’t mean it’s a bad thing Just don’t expect to put one of these bad boys on and it doesn’t matter who makes it Ron or puma speed, If you beat the shit out of the turbo don’t expect it to last 100,000 miles

Last edited:

Woods247

2000 Post Club
I’ve had a Pumaspeed hybrid (same tech as whoosh) for over 30k miles, mostly track. I change the oil frequently with LiquiMoly High Tech 5w40 and use the Motorcraft 400s oil filter. Zero issues with this one and it gets donkeypunched regularly. Spool is faster than other options and it’s pulls fast to redline. Install it correctly, change the oil often and it’ll likely be fine for as long as you have the car.

If you intend to add auxiliary fuel or bigger injectors/hpfp, you’ll want a different turbo like the S280 or a Garrett kit. Stock fuel with e30 and a hybrid is hilariously fun and melts faces on racetracks.

Magnetic

I had smoke coming out of my exhaust like 4 times randomly and It hasn't done it in like over 1.5 years. I'm not sure what it was but it kinda fixed itself I guess. Couldn't blame the turbo because it never broke all the way to find what the issue was.

haste

1000 Post Club

Buddy of mine got a whoosh hybrid and had the random smoking issue with it. He said it would happen at the most inopportune times(like sitting in a drive-thru) and it was very annoying. He had it on the car for over a year and the random smoking never quit.

Whoosh kept blaming his car for the problems and never proposed a resolution. My buddy finally got fed up and bought a S280 and waddya know, the smoking stopped.

Buddy of mine got a whoosh hybrid and had the random smoking issue with it. He said it would happen at the most inopportune times(like sitting in a drive-thru) and it was very annoying. He had it on the car for over a year and the random smoking never quit.

Whoosh kept blaming his car for the problems and never proposed a resolution. My buddy finally got fed up and bought a S280 and waddya know, the smoking stopped.
I had the same issue but mine stopped after 1000 miles on the turbo. It’s a good turbo but it’ll get swapped down the road for something bigger , also i don’t entirely blame Ron this is not uncommon for any hybrids period and the focus st’s also suffer from oil seal issues on some kits and also on some real big turbo kits they had PCV issues, that would cause idle smoking problems. Unless the turbo is shooting smoke out everyday i wouldn’t lose sleep over it

Magnetic

I had the same issue but mine stopped after 1000 miles on the turbo. It’s a good turbo but it’ll get swapped down the road for something bigger , also i don’t entirely blame Ron this is not uncommon for any hybrids period and the focus st’s also suffer from oil seal issues on some kits and also on some real big turbo kits they had PCV issues, that would cause idle smoking problems. Unless the turbo is shooting smoke out everyday i wouldn’t lose sleep over it
my thoughts exactly.

my thoughts exactly.
Mine smoked today at a stop light like it did back at break in, i hope it doesn’t turn into a normal issue because that’ll mean swapping back to stock. I’m very disappointed this whoosh hybrid has lasted a whole 15k miles and i baby the fuck out of this car

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account

trouble shooting and finding cause is part of the warranty process

example of a customer email below from last month

"Okay I’m sorry it’s been so long. I ended up changing my turbo with an s280 I bought from you for time sake and ran that in my fiesta. I ran this turbo in my car for 300 miles and I blew a seal from over boosting on an incorrect tune sent from tuner. Can I still send the turbo it’s been sitting in a box ever since"

there are 600+ whoosh hybrids sold and in use since released Jan 2019 (y)

Last edited:
I put about 10k miles on a Whoosh hybrid VERY quickly, eventually blew up the engine due to a missed shift (at 29psi with a 35 shot of nitrous, lol) the turbo proceeded to light a cigarette, take a shot of whiskey, and asked when we would have another engine for it.

In all seriousness, it did end up shooting shrapnel through the impeller and ate up the housing. It was essentially a paper weight at this point, no fault of the turbo obviously. It made 348whp/350tq on e85 with four port aux, 404whp/414wtq with a 35 shot of nitrous. 12.14 @ 116mph on fuel only and 11.84 @ 117mph with nitrous.

I bought my car with the Whoosh Hybrid already installed. I don't know when it was done but the car itself has 73k miles. It has a tune but its conservative as to keep everything safe and emmision compliant. I have loved the turbo and would replace with another Whoosh hybrid if it should crap out.