Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Wide body/flares

I scrolled through a few pages the wide body doesn’t seem very popular based on them being so wide it requires large spacers or extreme back spacing.

I’d like to do more of a flare than what I see for wide body kits. Of course google turns up plenty of $100 EBay flares I’m sure are just top notch stuff.

just curious if anyone here has done more of a moderate flare setup to point me in the right direction.

I'm curious what you would consider moderate?

I also keep waffling about flares. My arches are kinda crusty, and the car was totaled so I'm not really worried about value.

OP
Commando81
Thread Starter #4
I'm curious what you would consider moderate?

I also keep waffling about flares. My arches are kinda crusty, and the car was totaled so I'm not really worried about value.
to my understanding a lot of kits are 60mm. I could be completely mistaken on this.

I’d like to see about 1-1.5” outward maybe 4-5” onto the body. Think like the slim line flares offered for trucks in the early 2000s

OP
Commando81
Thread Starter #5
I really like this look just an inexpensive EBay kit gives me a lot of concern

Attachments

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Are those re-drilled Enkei NT-03s on that FiST??

I like the looks of those flares themselves, but not the extreme 'poke' offset/spacers on that car.

Just because one has said flares, does NOT mean one has to 'fill out' every single last millimeter of them. [nono] [thumbdown]

OP
Commando81
Thread Starter #7
Are those re-drilled Enkei NT-03s on that FiST??

I like the looks of those flares themselves, but not the extreme 'poke' offset/spacers on that car.

Just because one has said flares, does NOT mean one has to 'fill out' every single last millimeter of them. [nono] [thumbdown]
Not sure about a redrill maybe they used those flares for a model? These eBay ones seem to have the flat spot but you drill the hole. And I agree on not needed to fill it out completely. They are cheap I may just order and see what they are like, but figured it was worth asking if anyone knows a quality set of this nature

I've always liked the look of people taking those cheap flares and just heating / cutting to get a good fit. I think that's what Mighty Car Mods did on one of their Kei trucks and it just looks clean. I'm also a fan of the exposed rivet points and obvious over fender look though. All the boutique kits for this car seem expensive and I really don't like the way that Krotov kit looks which seems to be the most readily available. Fifteen52 makes a pretty integrated looking fender flare for us right? Or used to I assume.

OP
Commando81
Thread Starter #11
I've always liked the look of people taking those cheap flares and just heating / cutting to get a good fit. I think that's what Mighty Car Mods did on one of their Kei trucks and it just looks clean. I'm also a fan of the exposed rivet points and obvious over fender look though. All the boutique kits for this car seem expensive and I really don't like the way that Krotov kit looks which seems to be the most readily available. Fifteen52 makes a pretty integrated looking fender flare for us right? Or used to I assume.
well based on what they show on eBay they would be a little too big for the car unless I can’t read a tape measure anymore. Figure with how cheap they are and EBay’s return guarantee when they say it will fit it’s worth getting a set in hand and seeing what they are like

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
I used M2. They give about 1” more room, assuming you cut the fenders underneath. They are pricey, but fit well.

The negative is that the finish is so-so. It is fine for my track car with just a rattle can topping, but they would need some sanding and finishing for a nice street car.

Also remember, with more offset to fill those fenders comes more torque steer and more tramlining.

Here is a pic with the M2 flares and +27 offset 17x8 rims (Hoosier tires).

Attachments

OP
Commando81
Thread Starter #14
I used M2. They give about 1” more room, assuming you cut the fenders underneath. They are pricey, but fit well.

The negative is that the finish is so-so. It is fine for my track car with just a rattle can topping, but they would need some sanding and finishing for a nice street car.

Also remember, with more offset to fill those fenders comes more torque steer and more tramlining.

Do they require trimming to fit or is it optional? I don’t foresee myself running a wheel and tire combo that needs it with the suspension I have earmarked. Those two styles Ron mentioned are more my style then a wide body kit

dhminer

2000 Post Club

That looks awesome. How wide of a tire can you fit in there?

Do they require trimming to fit or is it optional? I don’t foresee myself running a wheel and tire combo that needs it with the suspension I have earmarked. Those two styles Ron mentioned are more my style then a wide body kit
You don’t have to cut. But, if not, it’s all for the looks of the fender, and I’m not sure if you can run a wide enough tire/wheel to make the areas look “filled up” and not rub the OEM fender underneath. Ron might know.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
The first set Ron posted are M2. Same as what @cidsamuth has. You cannot run wider wheels/offsets at low ride heights without cutting. Also, wider tires are typically taller too which makes them contact the lower area of the front fender/bumper cover mount when lowered. A 235/40/17 or 245/40/17 will smack that mount on small bumps. I cut mine out. There’s a single 245/35/17 option on Tirerack that will work well but you still have to cut out the fenders under the flares to clear the extra width. To do it correctly it takes a fair amount of work.

That looks awesome. How wide of a tire can you fit in there?
Right now, I’m running Hoosier R7s, 225/40/17. They have a 9.6” section width. The rims are +27. It’s tight getting it in there and not rub the flare on the outside and the coilover on the inside under track conditions.

I have removed most of the wheel liners and “clearanced” the wheel well underneath with a hammer.

OP
Commando81
Thread Starter #19
The first set Ron posted are M2. Same as what @cidsamuth has. You cannot run wider wheels/offsets at low ride heights without cutting. Also, wider tires are typically taller too which makes them contact the lower area of the front fender/bumper cover mount when lowered. A 235/40/17 or 245/40/17 will smack that mount on small bumps. I cut mine out. There’s a single 245/35/17 option on Tirerack that will work well but you still have to cut out the fenders under the flares to clear the extra width. To do it correctly it takes a fair amount of work.
I’m looking at Flatouts tarmac coilovers so I’ll actually be going up a touch on ride height. If trimming is what it takes it is what it is. I came from running Jeeps for years so I’m no stranger to needing to trim for clearance. Just rather not if I don’t have to.

I’m looking at Flatouts tarmac coilovers so I’ll actually be going up a touch on ride height. If trimming is what it takes it is what it is. I came from running Jeeps for years so I’m no stranger to needing to trim for clearance. Just rather not if I don’t have to.
Mine, being a track car, allowed for more freedom in how I cut and hammered - it’s all about making speed/handling.

Frankly, I don’t think I’d cut on a street car unless I was going to go all out on the flares with a top notch finishing and painting job so they looked “factory.”