Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Wider Spacers on the Front than the Back???

Taz

Now this has got me scratching my head. Recently I had a set of 17x8 3SDM 0.05 wheels fitted, which brings the wheels out to about flush with the factory arches, with just a tiny bit of poke. Now I'm having a set of SS-Tuning arches fitted, which are 20mm wide. As a result, I'll be getting some spacers to bring the wheels out. I was expecting to only have to fit 15mm all round at most, whilst allowing for clearance. And no, I'm not lowered in any way. Anyways, I've just had this e-mail from the guy at the workshop:

"The spacers you need are a pair of 20mm on the front and a pair of 12mm on the rear because at the moment the rear tyres sit out further than the front."

The tyres in question are these:

Falken Tyres / Car / Falken Ziex ZE310 Ecorun 215/40 R17 87W XL TL Fuel Eff.: D Wet Grip: A NoiseClass: A Noise: 69dB Car Tyres - MPV Tyres - People Carrier Tyres - 17" R17" - 215/40/17, 215/40R17 (camskill.co.uk)

But surely that can't be right? How can I need wider spacers at the front than the rear, especially when I bought the same size wheels and tyres front and back?

I can’t comment on the validity of what the shop is telling you.

But …. as @kevinatfms can attest, I have used about every sized wheel spacer from 3mm to 20mm to stuff fat tires and various wheel offsets into the wheel wells of my tracked FiST.

In my experience, you should get the car home and see what you have. Then, if you need spacers, order several sizes from Amazon Prime and try them. Get it perfect and return the rest.

And “perfect” might be different based on the expected use of the car, ie track vs. street.

Tires vary to too much for anyone to be able to give you a straight forward answer. I think one of your cheapest options is to buy some cheap spacers and run them to confirm the fitment you are looking for. Then buy a quality set of spacers after.
If you are looking for the same fitment you have right now with no change in tires, wheels or suspension. I don't see any reason not to get the 20mm spacers. Adding 20mm to the body and then 20mm of spacers should keep the fitment the same. Unless I'm missing something I', not aware of