Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Wilwood bbk bleed procedure

I was yapping with Joe@2J about the Wilwood kit I wasted my money on and we got to talking about how finicky the FiST is about bleeding the brakes with this kit or in general I don’t remember.
Anywho Joe made sure I understood to have the ABS reset after install with a Ford scan tool or take the car to a dealer and have it done for like 50 bucks.
He said without the ABS being reset the brakes would not work properly. I did not know this but I thought I would share. Has anyone done this?

As long as you're not flushing the whole system the abs system shouldn't need to be activated, after the brakes are installed just bleed them until the air is out of the calipers. If air somehow does get into the abs system you can also just activate it normally by doing some really hard stops so the brakes lock up and the system kicks the air bubbles out. Then just bleed your brakes again until all the air is out.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

kevinatfms

Download ForScan and buy a cheap dongle off Amazon. I think i paid about $25 for mine. It can reset the ABS system, modify just about any module on the car and is a great scan tool also.

OP
MRX430
Thread Starter #6
As long as you're not flushing the whole system the abs system shouldn't need to be activated, after the brakes are installed just bleed them until the air is out of the calipers. If air somehow does get into the abs system you can also just activate it normally by doing some really hard stops so the brakes lock up and the system kicks the air bubbles out. Then just bleed your brakes again until all the air is out.

Flushing & replacing

Flushing & replacing
Ahh okay well in that case you will need to get the old fluid out of the abs system and like @kevinatfms said I would go with the forscan method to actuate the valves and get the old fluid out of the abs system. Not sure of the exact method for doing a full flush but other than getting the old fluid out of the abs system theres nothing else you need to do.

OP
MRX430
Thread Starter #11
Ahh okay well in that case you will need to get the old fluid out of the abs system and like @kevinatfms said I would go with the forscan method to actuate the valves and get the old fluid out of the abs system. Not sure of the exact method for doing a full flush but other than getting the old fluid out of the abs system theres nothing else you need to do.

I think it has something more to do with than just eliminating air from the system. I’ll find out more about this.

I've been doing a lot of digging on google and in the manual and I can't find anything about an abs reset. Also what fluid do you have in it now and what are you replacing it with because if they both are a DOT 4 fluid you dont need to flush the abs system u just need to do a regular brake flush.

so if you're swapping the calipers on and want to cycle thought as much fluid as possible you'll want to do something like this:

1. use a turkey baster and suck out all you can get from the reservoir.
2. fill with new fluid
3. pressure bleed (ideally) the whole system and keep going to ensure you're getting out as much as possible of the old stuff
4. run abs reset to cycle fluid out of there. maybe do this a couple times
5. pressure bleed some more to get that purged fluid in step 4 purged through the calipers

what would happen if you just installed and bled the new brakes with more OEM fluid? probably nothing weird. but it's up to far how much you want to chase this.

superblue and ATE200 were great fluids because you could cycle between them and see the color change. but DOT had to go and ban superblue because they mandate brake fluid be one color.

OP
MRX430
Thread Starter #14
Btw I’m not doing anything. Mitch@ CP-E is installing the long block, lsd, clutch and the Wilwoods. Btw from what Joe told me Ford will reset your abs hooked up to some sort of komputr.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I've replaced a few calipers, just install them and bleed the system with 3-4 full bottles of whatever fluid you want to use. There shouldn't be ANY air in the ABS module. If you're concerned about getting the old fluid out of it, I think you'll find that its a very small amount and the fluid you have in the rest of your system will balance it out. Or as someone else said, go activate the ABS in hard stops and bleed the fluid again.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I may be missing something, but I have done literally hundreds of brake jobs on ABS systems.
From what I have been told, taught, and or seen, all ABS valving is in the open state when not powered up.
This is to allow that when there is an ABS failure the system works as a normal brake system.
This simply means that all fluid will flow from the master through the ABS valve body to the calipers.
No matter what method you use, pressure, vacuum, or gravity, fluid flows the same.

Chances are that if you don’t have an ABS problem before you start, you will not have a problem after if you did the job correctly.
The most common error is that many force the caliper pistons back in without opening the bleed valves.
This forces dirty fluid back up into the ABS valve body allowing debris to get in and cause the valves to stick.

When flushing a system, it is best to remove all the fluid from the master and start with new fluid.
There is however, one thing that most forget.
That there no way to get all the old fluid out of the calipers without physically removing and emptying them.
This is because the inlet tube and bleed valve are both at the top of the caliper.
Although the bleed valve will allow the air at the top of the caliper out, it will not force out the dirty fluid within at the bottom of the caliper.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

OP
MRX430
Thread Starter #19
Let’s see if this sheds some light. Joe told me to have the abs reset after the bbk is installed meaning I would drive the car to the dealer. So it doesn’t seem like it has anything to do with fluid or bleeding. It’s some kind of komputr voodoo lol

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
We all have different opinions I definitely don't think you need to do that. Dave has done a lot of brake work I trust him.
I went to school for automotive repair, so it's not like I'm clueless I know a little bit.

The guy that's doing all this work for you I'm pretty darn sure he has a scan tool capable of resetting the ABS system if you would like it done.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk