Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Wilwood brakes

LostInTransit

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
I'm looking forward to having the Focus Brembo's installed on our van. was merely saying that the wilwood just looks odd on our smaller sports cars. Grew up with wilwood more on the 70's muscle cars.

OP
Rhys1983
Thread Starter #23
Yellow Racing and Ceika are Chinese made garbage, on par with the Whoosh branded products. If you want cheap stancy boy junk there you go. If you want reliable products made in America or UK, by people that know how to build brakes stick with Wilwood, AP, Alcon, Brembo (Italy), etc. There is a reason Brembo, AP, and Alcon are OEM suppliers.

Wilwood has been in racing since the 80s. Bill Wilwood created many of the brake advances seen in NASCAR's early days. I have no problem putting Wilwood on any car, sporty car or muscle car. Hell "muscle cars" hold lap records at Nurburgring now. These ain't your dad's American made garbage anymore.

You will probably want to swap to the BP20, they are much more like the OEM summer tire pad compound but with less dust. My BP20s bite just as good and dust about half as much as my OEM rear pads. I could almost run white wheels with the Wilwood pads.
Yes, I was considering the BP-20 pads, but thought I’d stick with the BP-10s as that’s what the kit came with. I’ll look to possibly upgrade when these pads wear out and need changing.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
if our cars have the cable and the kit has the cable because it was made for

I do not think he has too. Since our hubs are already disc setup he should be able to just put the disc setup from Wilwood on it .
I even wonder if we need that parking brake cable as our car already has a parking brake cable for disc unless of course our cable has a different end that does not attach to the Wilwood caliper.
I'm only repeating what Ron's site says in the product description:
*standard Fiesta (drum brake) rear hubs are required for installation on a 2014-2019 Fiesta ST.
Wilwood (11.75") Rear Brake Kit 2014+ Fiesta ST – whoosh motorsports (whoosh-motorsports.myshopify.com)

OP
Rhys1983
Thread Starter #25
OP
Rhys1983
Thread Starter #27
I’ve spoken to Ron and he’s confirmed that I’ll need the rear hubs from the standard fiesta for the rear brake kit to fit.

Fiestig

You will probably want to swap to the BP20, they are much more like the OEM summer tire pad compound but with less dust. My BP20s bite just as good and dust about half as much as my OEM rear pads.
I use BP-Q and on daily street car they are wonderful. I have used BP-10 and BP-20, but got some BP-Q's from a rep at SEMA and I like them more than the BP-20. Personal preference, but again just another option.

Fusion Works

That is kind of an interesting street compound. The only issue I could see is it feeling like its over boosted at the low speed stops, pretty much more BP20 characteristics. I have never felt the BP20 was lacking at ultra cold performance, but the Q might give some folks more confidence cold.

https://www.wilwood.com/BrakePads/Street

OP
Rhys1983
Thread Starter #30
I use BP-Q and on daily street car they are wonderful. I have used BP-10 and BP-20, but got some BP-Q's from a rep at SEMA and I like them more than the BP-20. Personal preference, but again just another option.
Yes, I was looking at the BP-Q as it seems a good pad for fast road use.
Another one to consider when the BP-10s have worn and need replacing. 👍

Fusion Works

I’ve spoken to Ron and he’s confirmed that I’ll need the rear hubs from the standard fiesta for the rear brake kit to fit.
Wish you lived closer I would see about making a caliper bracket for that to work with the OEM ST rear knuckle and hub. Its stronger than the Base model hub.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Ya I thought about the rears but have no wish to swap out to base model hubs. Honestly my fronts do not feel out of front to rear balance with the stock rear calipers.

You know you can throw pads in the trash when they are new right? :p
Ya mine are already in I will just run them till they and worn and swap then😂

OP
Rhys1983
Thread Starter #34
Wish you lived closer I would see about making a caliper bracket for that to work with the OEM ST rear knuckle and hub. Its stronger than the Base model hub.
That has put me off fitting the rear brake kit a bit. Especially if the rear hub isn’t as strong as the ST’s rear hub. I could speak to the garage to see if they can make it work without changing the hubs.
I know that you can fit a Ford Focus ST170 rear brake kit which will improve performance slightly on the rear.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
That has put me off fitting the rear brake kit a bit. Especially if the rear hub isn’t as strong as the ST’s rear hub. I could speak to the garage to see if they can make it work without changing the hubs.
I know that you can fit a Ford Focus ST170 rear brake kit which will improve performance slightly on the rear.
I feel rears are not really an issue in our cars. The stock rear work pretty well I have never felt they absolutely need upgrading.

Dialcaliper

I feel rears are not really an issue in our cars. The stock rear work pretty well I have never felt they absolutely need upgrading.
I suspect you’re right, and even then there’s still the SVT/ST170 rear upgrade, which Ford decided was also more than enough for the Mk1 Focus RS, which was upgraded to 324x28mm front rotors (with 4-pot brembos), and still retained the 280mm solid rears.

The main applications you might actually need something like the wilwood rear upgrade for are either driving around with factory traction control on all the time, or in something like an R4 rally car with a line lock that regularly abuses the rear brakes.

OP
Rhys1983
Thread Starter #38
Yes, I did have a look at the st170 kit with an upgraded pad which I’m sure would be more than enough on a fast road car and will likely provide a nice front/rear brake balance.
I should have checked about rear fitting but didn’t see that I’d need a new rear hub.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I suspect you’re right, and even then there’s still the SVT/ST170 rear upgrade, which Ford decided was also more than enough for the Mk1 Focus RS, which was upgraded to 324x28mm front rotors (with 4-pot brembos), and still retained the 280mm solid rears.

The main applications you might actually need something like the wilwood rear upgrade for are either driving around with factory traction control on all the time, or in something like an R4 rally car with a line lock that regularly abuses the rear brakes.
ya If one was doing handbrake initiation a lot I could see having bigger rear calipers but this is just not a car that screams for that on road 😂

OP
Rhys1983
Thread Starter #40
So would you say that the front Wilwood big brake kit and the rear ST170 280mm set up will provide the best brake balance?
The problem is that I’ve bought the Wilwood rear brakes now and will lose a bit of money if I return them. I would keep them, but if the standard rear hubs are inferior or weaker than the ST rear hubs then I don’t really want to be changing them over.